Deleting Voices in TomTom XXL 540 TM

I will receive my new TomTom XXL 540 TM in a few days. It looks like there are quite a few units which do not have enough room for new map updates, Because of this I think I will try to delete all the voices in the unit except Susan and Dave, Could someone please tell me how to do this and also please list all the files I should delete. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I will receive my new TomTom XXL 540 TM in a few days. It looks like there are quite a few units which do not have enough room for new map updates, Because of this I think I will try to delete all the voices in the unit except Susan and Dave, Could someone please tell me how to do this. Thank you.
Susan and Dave are both large computer voices. Whether both will fit remains to be seen. I doubt that both are installed on your unit. I would not try to do the map update with more than one computer voice installed anyway. Do the update, and then afterward, see if another voice can be loaded.

You'll need to install Home before doing any of this, but once it's installed...

When you plug your TomTom in for the first time, it will try to do all of the updates at once. If you want to pare things down first, you will want to click on "Back", not "Update and Install" when it comes up with the list of things for you to update.

• Right click the blue arrow for "More"
  • Click on "Manage my ..."
  • Be sure the "Items on device" tab is selected
  • Select the "+" next to "Voices" and see what's there
  • Most of the voices will be about 0.7MB - there should be only ONE that is about 47MB. That's your computer voice. We'll keep that. If there are MORE than one, pick which one you want to keep for now and add any others to the next steps, but keep ONE.
  • Select all of those 0.7MB voices and click "Copy items to computer"
  • Click "Done" - takes you back to menu

• Click on "Manage my ..."
  • Be sure the "Items on computer" tab is selected this time - we want to be sure the voice are there from the copy
  • Select the "+" next to "Voices" and see what's there
  • If the voices you copied are all there, switch back to "Items on device"
  • Select the "+" next to "Voices"
  • Select those same 0.7MB voices again and click "Remove items from device"
  • When asked, click "OK"
  • Click "Done"
You can always retrieve any of the voices you've saved to your computer later.

Thank you, Canderson, for your prompt reply. I'll do as you advised and will post the results. Again, many thanks

Ask a Question