Deleting OLD map for new one?

TomTom Model(s)
Hi gang,
As per my other thread regarding my 720 and the LMG, I now have the new map 8.15 installed on the SD in the TT, but want it in the Internal. Thier site is not very helpful on how to safely remove the OLD map and what files (like POI files, settings, etc) should be saved somewhere and later transfered. the only file the site talks about is the mapsettings.cfg file. i have saved it already. But what about all of my hard earned POI's???
I am pretty PC smart, so if someone could fire away at me some instructions on what goes and what stays, ill get it done. I was going to copy all POI files and the settings.cfg file and delete the rest of the contents in north America 2gb. Then load TT HOME and install the 8.15, then reboot and go into win explorer and add the POI and cfg files back in.
Am I close!? lol

Ike

Custom .ov2 files (and associated .bmp's) should be copied from the old specific map folder to the new map folder. Mapsettings.cfg should be copied from the old map folder to the new map folder but be aware that firmware 8.3 tends to wipe out that file and create a fresh one, just removing your chance to restore your saved favourites.

So, if you have that firmware, download the poiedit program from poiedit.com, open your old mapsettings.cfg file in poiedit and resave all your favourites as individual .ov2 points and then place them in a custom created poi category of your own naming, like 'my_favourites' and then just place this new .ov2 file into the new map folder.

Much better to keep favourite places as poi's anyway.

Then, just copy your old map folder to the computer for safe keeping.

Last edited:
DH,

I have transfered the POI info and settings info to the SD card where the new map is at. Now do I delete the entire old NA map folder and copy/paste the new NA map folder from the SD into the Internal of the TT? Id like to keep the internal having the map and the OS, and have the SD have all of my added things, like POI, ITN's, Voices, etc..
Seems to me thats what i should do.

EDIT: BTW, all my POI's and Favs are still there, so my transfering to the SD into the new map is working. Thats why I think I should replace the old NA Map folder with the new one on my Sd card.

Last edited:
The poi files and the mapsettings.cfg file MUST reside in the same map folder that you are using.

Trust me when I say that if you have a 8-gig card, put the new map on the card (along with the poi's and mapsetting.cfg file). Copy the old map folder to the computer just in case then delete the old map folder from the internal of the unit.

Ask a Question