Dear TomTom: Please test safety camera install script

I am sending this as an open letter in hopes of persuading TomTom management to test the current incarnation of the install script for the Safety Camera applet, for reasons described below.

[1] As a justification for my request to TomTom to test the install script for the safety camera applet, I am going to describe a totally mind-blowing experience which clearly indicates that TomTom's software team is not always following proper testing of application install scripts. Specifically, I found a glaringly careless error in the script that updates HOME version 2.7.3.1894 to version 2.7.5.2014, when run under Windows XP.

During installation, the script halted and said::

"Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME2\xulrunner\nspr4.dll.
Click Retry to try again or Cancel to stop the installation".

I went and looked for this nspr4.dll file and found it existed already, and that the script writer had failed to handle this (should have either erased it or given overwrite permission).

So I erased nspr4.dll and said retry and yes, a new version of nspr4.dll was installed.

I had to do the same thing for 8 other files in the /xulrunner/ folder before the installation would complete without errors. The files in the xulrunner folder that needed to be erased or overwritten were:

nspr4.dll; nss3.dll; nssutil3.dll; plc4.dll; plds4.dll; smime3.dll; softokn3.dll; sqlite3.dll; ssl3.dll

Clearly, the script writer (or his/her supervisor) committed the cardinal sin of assuming the script would work without actually testing it. This is unbelievable carelessness and someone deserves a thorough wigging… possibly some exec who was pushing for too much too fast or skimping too much on programming resources. Maybe the script worked on one OS but not another. But my OS is XP, which is surely popular enough for testing to be mandatory.

[2] I have had another unpleasant experience that I suspect may also be the result of sloppy script writing. When I try to download the “Safety Camera” applet to my TomTom 540 XXL TM I get the following error message: "The internet server had an internal error. It may be a temporary problem. Please try again later."

Note the words "internal error". This clearly implies the problem is on the TomTom server and not on my PC. I strongly suspect there is an error in the installation script. I have already posted a request to TomTom support asking for a programmer to test the script on a TomTom 540 XXL to see whether the script reliably works. I should have added that the test should be across all popular OS’s.

Last edited:
I am sending this as an open letter in hopes of persuading TomTom management to test the current incarnation of the install script for the Safety Camera applet, for reasons described below.

May I suggest you send your message to TomTom where it may do more good than addressing this Peer-to-Peer forum.

I have the same problem with my new XXL 540TM World traveler when installing the "Safety Camera” applet. Filed a report with TomTom. They told me to re-install TomTom home and remove data files on my PC. I even tried my second computer for TT home. Same result. This is my second TomTom unit. first one appeared to have a hardware problem. Could not even format memory from Windows. TomTom looks like it will be a useful device if everything ever works, but buggy as hell. Worst out of box experience ever!

Last edited:
Arno, who should I write to at TomTom -- can you give me a name and address ?

Also, while this is a peer to peer forum, I would hope that someone at TomTom is quietly reading it in order to obtain feedback from customers, and will pass plaints such as mine to the relevant staff members.

I have noticed that some manufacturers provide technical advice on user forums through explicitly identified company reps, but this obviously costs money, and TomTom has clearly decided not to do it.

Last edited:
Many thanks for this postal address. If you know of an email address, I'd appreciate having it.

Regards

boblite

TomTom is FULLY aware of the error updating the Safety Cameras and will try and have you jump through hoops on your end in what seems to be a stall the customer w/o actually answering your question tactic. Why this is I cannot for the life of me fathom. They had me do the same things with no success and when I was finally able (actually got deliberatly hung up on once) to escalate this to a manager/administrator level it was admitted that this is indeed a KNOWN problem on TOMTOM'S end NOT the users and they are aware of it. I was told it's a legal issue however I am having trouble believing that. As near as I can figure if you have the USA_CAN_Mexico map you may be able to install the camera application but when you try an update it it will fail with that Internal Server Error. You probably will NOT be able to activate via the TomTom services menu as well. I doubt even after being able to install the Safety Camera application that the GPS will alert you when approaching Safety Cameras. DO NOT ACCEPT THE STOCK CUSTOMER SERVICE ANSWER, keep gently pushing and you will get the (a?) truth finally. I did! Please note: My wifes 6 month old XXL330S with the 2gb North America map updates the Safety Cameras and works just fine on the same PC. Maybe its also related to the map being used as has been suggested by others who are having this problem.

Ask a Question