Data Connection with tMobile Motorola RAZR2 v8

Has anybody had success with establishing a wireless data connection between a GO 920 and tMobile Motorola RAZR2 v8?

I have upgraded to the $19.99 a month Total Internet add-on at the suggestion of tMobile and on these forums.

I was sucessfully able to connect to download weather and fuel prices yesterday evening and was intending to get traffic set up tonight, however now I'm back to failing to connect to wireless data.

I've tried deleting the Bluetooth bond (on both the 920 and phone) and reconnecting, but have had no success. As before, the device gets to 40% through setting up the wireless data connection. It asks the type of phone, I enter Other, United States and tMobile I to the following questions.

Yesterday at this point it asked to send data and connected, but now, it sits there for 2 or 3 minutes then says it failed to set up the connection.

I've had the 920 about a week and am very happy with the unit itself, but the wireless data setup has been rather frustrating so far!

At this point I'm open to suggestions. TomTom won't help as the RAZR2 isn't on the supported phones list and tMobile won't help online. They've told me to call their customer support line and to ask for the "data and modem" department. I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm not expecting that call to go well!

Any ideas?

Paul

it is too bad that you had it working, and then lost the connection. I assume you are trying to duplicate the path you took the first time. If you had tried re-setting the unit and connecting again before you deleted the connections, you might have gotten it back.

You did not say which device you entered when you set it up, but that could make a difference. You might try a completely manual setup routine - check for the posts on T-Mobile, follow them, and see if it connects.

If not, when you talk to support - make sure you tell them up-front that you were connected, and then had problems getting it back up. This way, they can't duck by simply saying it is not an approved device.

I used "other" for the device.

I got it to complete the setup a few minutes ago, but then it immediately failed to connect again, so it almost seems like a timeout issue.

I'll try a completely manual set up and see if that works, but I'm not holding my breath!

Paul

Hi Paul

Has anybody had success with establishing a wireless data connection between a GO 920 and tMobile Motorola RAZR2 v8?

I have upgraded to the $19.99 a month Total Internet add-on at the suggestion of tMobile and on these forums.

I was sucessfully able to connect to download weather and fuel prices yesterday evening and was intending to get traffic set up tonight, however now I'm back to failing to connect to wireless data.

I've tried deleting the Bluetooth bond (on both the 920 and phone) and reconnecting, but have had no success. As before, the device gets to 40% through setting up the wireless data connection. It asks the type of phone, I enter Other, United States and tMobile I to the following questions.

Yesterday at this point it asked to send data and connected, but now, it sits there for 2 or 3 minutes then says it failed to set up the connection.

I've had the 920 about a week and am very happy with the unit itself, but the wireless data setup has been rather frustrating so far!

At this point I'm open to suggestions. TomTom won't help as the RAZR2 isn't on the supported phones list and tMobile won't help online. They've told me to call their customer support line and to ask for the "data and modem" department. I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm not expecting that call to go well!

Any ideas?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have the GO510 and the Razor2 V8 with T-Mobile and have the same problem. I spoke with TOM TOM and their support SUCKS!!! You would figure that a phone that has been out over 1 year they should have a patch or fix for it but, Nooooooo!!! Anyway I called T-Mobile and spoke to a GREAT REP. and her name was "Monique". She was not only helpful and cool but took the time to check everything for me and went as far as to read forums for me. We were unable to get the hands free working BUT did get the wireless data connection to work! :D

I havent paid for the traffic yet but I cant see why it wont work if there is a wireless data connection present. This is what she gave me that T-Mobile has as a Reference guide.

NOTE: Most of the time a manual connection will not be needed as an automatic connection will take place if the unit is configured correctly.
NOTE: In order to utilize the Connect to Phone feature of the TomTom GPS, you must have an option on your account such as T-Mobile Total Internet that allows full internet access via GPRS.
Setting up a Manual Connection

Select Manual.
Enter the Access Point Name (APN): wap.voicestream.com
NOTE: You may have to use the access point for Internet 2: internet2.voicestream.com
Leave Username and Password blank.
The IP address should always be obtained automatically.
When asked about obtaining the DNS address, select Automatic.
The number for the system to dial for a GPRS / UMTS network is:*99#.

*99***1# is an acceptable alternative.

Enter the following login script: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","wap.voicestream.com","",0,0

Hope it works out for ya. I am thinking of sticking my Tom Tom up Tom's azz! :eek:

Tom Tom need to get off their azzes and get it working or folks will NOT buy any of their products. There are way TOO MANY GPS companies out there. Smarten Up Tom Tom!!

Good Luck to you!

If it doesn't work I would RETURN the piece of SHI*

Last edited:
TT has been having more problems with their %^$*& server(s) again.

I was able to pair and use my Pearl 8120 Ok early this AM - but have had nothing but trouble since. So don't waste too much time trying to set up connections right now - you will not be able to know if it is your settings or the aforementioned &^^%%$ server.

Any ideas?

Paul

I have a brand new TT920 and BB 8700g. Couldn't get them paired automatically.

I've read on forums there is a way to manually configure TT.

Unfortunately in the latest TT920 software v.8.010 the option for manual wireless configuration is REMOVED!!!

There is no way to connect phone and TT if it's not done automatically now.

Really frustrating! Who needs all those options if you can't use them...

I have new 920 and 8.01, and am on T-Mobile.

I had to pair manually, as the default t-Mobile options (Tmobile I - IV) have the wrong APN's for Blackberry devices.

To get to manual settings, you first try to have it pair automatically by selecting the model, country, and carrier. After this fails, it should then offer you the option of manually configuring. Then it will give you the manual setting fields to enter, so use the info you have gotten from the forum.

This should get your blackberry connected Ok - assuming you have the correct data plan with your carrier.

PS - I had other problems not related to the settings, and TT said my Pearl 8120 was not supposed to work, so they were not going to help with the settings if I had needed that.

I have new 920 and 8.01, and am on T-Mobile.

I had to pair manually, as the default t-Mobile options (Tmobile I - IV) have the wrong APN's for Blackberry devices.

How did you do it? My TT920 doesn't give me those *manual* options whatsoever...

To get to manual settings, you first try to have it pair automatically by selecting the model, country, and carrier. After this fails, it should then offer you the option of manually configuring. Then it will give you the manual setting fields to enter, so use the info you have gotten from the forum.

What software version for 920 do you have? I called tech support and they told me that manual configuration options were removed from the latest version.

This should get your blackberry connected Ok - assuming you have the correct data plan with your carrier.

PS - I had other problems not related to the settings, and TT said my Pearl 8120 was not supposed to work, so they were not going to help with the settings if I had needed that.

Could you please post detailed description - how did you get into manual config?

Thanks a lot!

The steps depend on how far you have gotten. Is the unit paired for hands free (first step) ? If not, the other steps will not be available. also, what carrier are you using - and what data plan?

The steps depend on how far you have gotten. Is the unit paired for hands free (first step) ? If not, the other steps will not be available. also, what carrier are you using - and what data plan?

My BB 8700g from T-mobile recognized TT920 right away. In my Bluetooth option on BB I have Tomtom Go 920 as a paired device. I have the data plan and it's the only one available.

Whenever I try to make both units to communicate (by choosing either "wireless service" or "phone" on TT, the PND goes through search phase and later gives me a message that "no phone found" and "be sure the bluetooth is enabled".

I called TT support asking to help with manual configuration, but they told me that this option was removed from the latest firmware v. 8.010.

Go to your bluetooth preferences and make sure your device is discoverable. Then go the the device properties for the 920 and make sure it "Trusted" is set to either yes or prompt. If it was not discoverable, see if the TomTom will find it now. If it does, just follow the menu prompts to set up dataservices aftr if confirms it is connected. If not, see the following...

When initially trying to pair them - did your blackberry ask you for a code for the 920 (0000) to be entered.

You might want to delete the 920 on your BB and the 8700 from the TomTom (if ir is there) and start from scratch (make sure it is discoverable first).

If it pairs for handsfree, the rest will be easy - but that comes first. Watch the BB carefully during the initial paring - it will ask you for a few responses.

PS - before you try all this, go to your blackberry advanced settings and under APN enter wap.voicestream.com and leave username and password blank if it is not already set up that way. This will have to be done in any case, so might as well do it now.

Go to your bluetooth preferences and make sure your device is discoverable. Then go the the device properties for the 920 and make sure it "Trusted" is set to either yes or prompt. If it was not discoverable, see if the TomTom will find it now. If it does, just follow the menu prompts to set up dataservices aftr if confirms it is connected. If not, see the following...

GAW, this worked!!!
After I set up preferences on BB everything went smoothly!
Phone works, phonebook is copied, etc.
When initially trying to pair them - did your blackberry ask you for a code for the 920 (0000) to be entered.

You might want to delete the 920 on your BB and the 8700 from the TomTom (if ir is there) and start from scratch (make sure it is discoverable first).

I didn't have to delete it... Everything worked just fine!

PS - before you try all this, go to your blackberry advanced settings and under APN enter wap.voicestream.com and leave username and password blank if it is not already set up that way. This will have to be done in any case, so might as well do it now.

Yes, I did it all...
The problem now is that phone connection is working, but data service is not.
I called T-mobile support. they sent me an e-mail:
# Select Manual.
# Enter the Access Point Name (APN): wap.voicestream.com
NOTE: You may have to use the access point for Internet 2: internet2.voicestream.com
# Leave Username and Password blank.
# The IP address should always be obtained automatically.
# When asked about obtaining the DNS address, select Automatic.
# The number for the system to dial for a GPRS / UMTS network is:*99#.

* *99***1# is an acceptable alternative.

# Enter the following login script: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","wap.voicestream.com","",0,0

I tried several variations, but nothing works. Probably wrong script.
I also don't know which T-mobile (I, II, III or IV) should I use.
TT gives me address "internet2.voicestream.com"

Should I edit it or may be use it in the phone instead of wap.voistream.com?

Greatly appreciate your advice!

With my BB, I used the wap.voicestream.com in place of the internetX.voicestream.com, so it does not matter which T-Mobile 1,2,3,4 you take - this over-rides it.

If your have traffic, your will need to put your TT Account user name and password in the setup string, plus in preferences - "My TomTom account" directly on the unit.

The only other item is the logon script. I think I had to change that also - and I am not sure if the one in your last post is the same as what I used - but I got it from the manual setup posts in this forum. I would have to set it up again to be sure (I do not know how to get it to display what is in there currently....).

I also just accepted the *99# as-is.

You are very close - just not sure of the login script - although in a file called settings.dat on my 920 - that looks like the one.

GAW, this worked!!!
After I set up preferences on BB everything went smoothly!

Greatly appreciate your advice!

How about giving GAW a rep point for his good information? Just a thought. (and no, he didn't ask me to ask you .... honest! :D )

With my BB, I used the wap.voicestream.com in place of the internetX.voicestream.com, so it does not matter which T-Mobile 1,2,3,4 you take - this over-rides it.

GAW, thank you for your patience! You deserve ALL points on this forum!:)

If your have traffic, your will need to put your TT Account user name and password in the setup string, plus in preferences - "My TomTom account" directly on the unit.

It doesn't ask me for username/pswd! Should I activate this service on TT site first? Sorry for stupid question - just brand new to this business. I bought 920T with annual LMG.

The only other item is the logon script. I think I had to change that also - and I am not sure if the one in your last post is the same as what I used - but I got it from the manual setup posts in this forum. I would have to set it up again to be sure (I do not know how to get it to display what is in there currently....).

I also just accepted the *99# as-is.

You are very close - just not sure of the login script - although in a file called settings.dat on my 920 - that looks like the one.

Could you do me a favor and PM a text string from your settings.dat file?
(no need for for your username/pswd of course :) )
I'll try to edit it directly.

Thanks a lot!

you can ignore the user name/password for now if you do not have a traffic subscription. Focus on getting the data set up first.

The settings.dat file is not a clean file (lots of unreadable characters), so it would not be a good guide.

All you have to do if you are not connected to data is to go to Plus Services and try to operate something like weather. It will again ask if you want to set up data. Follow the menu (phone, county, carrier (T-Mobile 1) until if fails and asks if you want to set up manually.

Then follow the TomTom support script (ignore their note and alternative "*99***1#" string - their list without these should get you up.

[snip]

All you have to do if you are not connected to data is to go to Plus Services and try to operate something like weather. It will again ask if you want to set up data. Follow the menu (phone, county, carrier (T-Mobile 1) until if fails and asks if you want to set up manually.

Then follow the TomTom support script (ignore their note and alternative "*99***1#" string - their list without these should get you up.

I tried it, but no luck...
I entered all possible variations, but after "string" is created TT can't connect.
T-mobile support is not very helpful... I do have BB internet plan - brwosing, e-mail, search, etc. - all works on BB. Why it can't connect to TT is a mystery to me... :)

do not try any variations. When you first try to connect to data and select T-Mobile I, it will populate all the fields except user name and password.

When it fails, and you select manual - you then change the APN to wap.voicestream.com, and then select all the rest as-is (except possibly the login script).

Note - try the following login script: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","wap.voicestream.com"

I don't think you need the characters ,"",0,0 This may be the problem

do not try any variations. When you first try to connect to data and select T-Mobile I, it will populate all the fields except user name and password.

When it fails, and you select manual - you then change the APN to wap.voicestream.com, and then select all the rest as-is (except possibly the login script).

Note - try the following login script: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","wap.voicestream.com"

I don't think you need the characters ,"",0,0 This may be the problem

It's exactly the script I'm getting at the end of the process and then TT gives me a message - "unable to connect...".

Will get in touch with T-mobile again.

Thanks a lot!

Ask a Question