Dash Mount

I have not seen it used with a tt but I have a friend who uses the same type product for his radar detector. He said that in a rapid turn or manuver it could slip at times. But, he stressed, not in normal driving. I just told him to slow down and he would need neither:) .

This type of thing seemed like a great idea for me at first, until I considered that should I get into a car accident, and God forbid roll the car, that the TT would become a pretty dangerous projectile in an already bad situation.

I decided that I should either just use the sticky disc that goes onto the dash, or get one of the alternative mounts for sale, with a long gooseneck to attach to the windshield. For now, though, I'm just using the stock mount.

I bought what looks like the same mount (called Nav-Mat) through Amazon for a few dollars more. Seems to work fine with my One XL. You have to have the TT mount all the way to the front of the area when you attach the suction cup for the power cord to clear the bean bag edge.

Just be sure you have enough flat area on the dash it is bigger than it looks. It has a silicon base that grips the dash very well.

Jeb

On that same site search for "vent mount", a co-worker bought one from them and loves it, his was about $10 for a TT 720, I think they are currently out of stock but not for much longer. They may be in stock for other gps models.

Thanks for all the insight. I'm concerned that a vent mount will impede the flow of air from the air condiitioner/heater, plus create condensation on the TT. I guess you block the vent that it's connected to. I live in CA so we're not allowed to use windshield mount. After seeing some users clever hardwired locations, I thought about using the sun glass compartment in the roof. It opens down and would provide a secure (at least out of sight) hiding place for the TT when not in use.

I have the bean bag mount from Best Buy. Works great. I have yet to have it move an inch. I have the suction cup all the way back so the unit sits inside the bean bag.

PS. ANYTHING not tied down in a roll over accident will get you, even that cup of coffee.

Pro Clip USA has several mounting options specific to your car. You can do a vent mount or a mount that attaches right next to your radio. Although they are on the expensive side, you can't beat the quality, appearance and functionality of the mount.

Thanks for all the insight. I'm concerned that a vent mount will impede the flow of air from the air condiitioner/heater, plus create condensation on the TT. I guess you block the vent that it's connected to. I live in CA so we're not allowed to use windshield mount. After seeing some users clever hardwired locations, I thought about using the sun glass compartment in the roof. It opens down and would provide a secure (at least out of sight) hiding place for the TT when not in use.

I can confirm the vent mount is a problem as far as air flow is concerned. and you cannot block the vent either because the mounting tabs on the mount itself prevent the vent from closing completely.

they're cheap and hold the unit well, but are not really the answer.

I politely disagree. I bought a vent mount off eBay for my Santa Fe, and I am REALLY glad I did. I don't typically use the middle vents in my truck for the most part - and with the way my vents are made, to close off the vent there is a rotating "door" far behind the vent so it doesn't come anywhere near touching the front vent blades that the GPS is sitting on.
So, my suggestion is to verify how your vent is made and see if having something hang 1/2" or so past the back of the vent itself would block whatever it is that closes off the vent.
Having the GPS off the windshield, out of direct sunlight and about a foot closer #1 makes it easier to see and #2 makes it easier - and safer - to operate it. Plus it's closer to the cigarette lighter plug and you have less length of dangling wires hanging around the dash
Of course, I was planning on permenantly running the power cable - but the route I was going to take (through the centre of dash near the bottom of the window, there is a plug where the next model up Santa Fe has a temperature sensor) it kinda pointless now... But I'll figure something out. :)

And on the subject of the ProClip - I like how they mount, really I do, but where they'd mount in my Santa Fe it would be blocking the view AND control of my radio and/or other buttons on my console. Having it up high right over my vent - it's not blocking anything at all. So if you are in the habit of messing with your stereo in the car, or have a lot of console mounted controls/buttons - make sure you verify where you'd like to mount the proclip because your GPS may end up being in the way (and even the mount without the GPS on it may be a pain in the bottom...)

Last edited:
The key with ANY type of mount is how it works for YOU in YOUR car. While a vent mount might be the perfect solution for some, others find the windshield to be the answer. Some use a friction mount like the beanbag, others a vehicle specific one like those from ProClip. The key is to sit inside your vehicle and find 2-3 locations where you'd feel it would be ideal for you.

Windshield mounts are illegal in two states and can clue in thieves that their might be something of value inside. Vent mounts could potentially harm your unit with the direct cold/hot air forced on the unit so close if the vent cannot be turned off. Mounts like those from ProClip may not be meant for a location you'd like to use and may conflict with using other things or seeing your unit. Friction mounts like the Nav-Mat are large and take up a lot of dash space.

I just got my TT1 but I've gone through the same situation of deciding where to mount something with my Sirius radio unit in my old Impreza. I decided on a ProClip solution for it but later regretted that decision. It's swivel eventually loosened as expected and it protruded into the legroom of the front passenger a little but I felt it was the best solution for my car at the time.

I sat in my Forester yesterday trying to come up with where I wanted my TomTom to go. I wanted it in my general field of vision, somewhere that I could glance at it easily without moving my head. I also preferred that it be within arm's reach, in a location that where it could be placed/removed easily, and preferably somewhere that the front passenger could access it on a trip.

The stock solution would not work. Nowhere could I place the disk or suction it to the window that would meet my preferences in my car. I started searching here and elsewhere to get ideas on what others had done. I came across the Nav-Mat and feel that it's the best solution for ME in MY car. The Forester has a large and relatively flat dash. There's a pocket in the center but we never use it. It will allow me to place my TT closer to me when driving alone and more towards the center of the dash when traveling with passengers. It's easily removable without leaving any sign that there's a GPS in the car and will be within arm's reach and my general field of vision.

So before making a purchasing decision or proclaiming one mount to rule them all, be sure to take the time to figure out what works for YOU in YOUR car.

Bill

Arkon mount

I wasn't thrilled with the suction cup for the Jeep Wrangler, I picked up an Arkon TTOXL128 it has a triangular base with a 3m self adhesive pad or screws, I usesd the pad and this thing works great! The coin change space (really the spot where the $1000 Jeep gps would fit if I ordered one) is a perfect spot,the One XL-s fits with the bottom edge just above the top of the dash, its rigid and has a lot of locking adjustments. $19.95 and very happy.
Just my two cents (actually 5 cents the left over from the mount price)
Joe

I have the Bracketron Nav-Mat, and LOVE it. Never moves and you can easily adjust the unit to reduce glare. (For US orders, Ambient Weather has them for about $10!)

For those that worry about "projectiles" in the car, please don't think that your "sticky disc" or "windshield mount" is going to matter in a serious collision. Your TomTom is still going to come loose and fly around. The only way to avoid that is not to have one in the car.

Here is where I mounted mine with a mount from the mountguys. It is a megilin mount with a adapter but worked perfect. It is perfect for easy viewing with just a slight movement of the eyes and you can see it if you look in the rearview mirror. It is easy to reach and you can still see under it for tight close turns as it does not block your view. I wanted it right in front of the car image for on dash but it is not flat there as there is a hump so the flat disc only touches a small amount and I did not want to take mount apart and reverse it so it could hang over as I am not sure if I would like looking down to see the Tom Tom for information while driving.

general620.jpg

general626.jpg

Yikes, I couldn't stand having it there... I'm a tall guy, and even where my rear view mirror is, bugs me... LOL I did have mine mounted way down low on the windshield, and all it did was block the view of my hood - which I could handle. But up there, I'd lose a large portion of my view out the right side of my windshield.
But at least you got it where you like it - just be careful about that blind spot, my man... Might come back to bite you if you end up in an accident (if it is blocking your view, that is...)

I ended up buying the mount from Semsons after all. In my Mazda RX8 it fits quite nicely on the front of the dash and with the rubber friction mount it does not slide, quite stable. With the standard windshield mount it also overhangs slightly down in front so it is also giving me a clear view through the windshield. So far , so good.

TomTomGO920.jpg

Ask a Question