Dash mount recommendation?

TomTom Model(s)
Hello all,
I recently bought a Tom-tom 1505 GPS for my wife for our anniversary and I wanted to buy one of those dashboard mount, bean bag type ones. This will be going in a 2006 Toyota Sienna which has a long sloping windshield and a wavy dashboard. I thought that the dash mount would be easier for her to access with reach and all. The problem is I am seeing people on Amazon reviewing these and saying that certain models have a clearance problem with certain dash mounts and also the Tom-Tom suction cup won't stick to the mount. Can anyone recommend a dashboard mount that they have actually bought and liked? Thanks! :)

Thanks for the link, "dhn". Still hoping for some responses from actual Tom-Tom owners.
Personally, I have not used either a dashboard mount or a window mount. I have never trusted a suction cup to mount anything, plus I have not found a window or dashboard mounting location that is both convenient to reach and easy to see - in my car.

I purchased a third-party mount that slips into the cup holder. It works very well both in my car and in my wife's car. It does not work well in my son's car, as the cup holder in his Scion TC is back almost to his elbow.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Went with a clip to mount to the AC duct fins - eliminates any chance it will give way and fall off the dash or windshield. Plus it does not obstruct your vision.

Thanks for the link, "dhn". Still hoping for some responses from actual Tom-Tom owners.

What makes you think that dhn isn't a TomTom owner? :confused:
I'm betting that he thinks that this is a support site run by TomTom and that dhn is an employee of the company.

For anyone else reading this - no one here works for TomTom, everyone is a volunteer. In addition, the site is an independently owned and operated forum.

- Tom -

To clarify for Andy_P and et. I think what I meant to say in the post was that I was hoping for some response from actual "Toyota Sienna" owners and not Tom-tom owners. This is because the Sienna's dash is very wavy and not at all flat.

et, you would have lost that bet as I never assumed that this site was affiliated with Tom-tom. It does state at the very top of your webpage,
"Friendly, unofficial support forums".

The link that "dhn" posted is a very good one and I will most likely buy one of their mounts due to their great selection.

It does state at the very top of your webpage,
"Friendly, unofficial support forums".

Well spotted! :)
We did have to add that specifically though, because so many people seemed to think we were TomTom employees.

I'm a beanbag mount addict, I own 5 of them. I once had a huge discussion with another addict on 'yourtomtom'. One of the things we agreed upon is that for an uneven dashboard the Gilsson beanbag is the best because it has the most flexible base to cope with ups and downs. I still believe this is the best option available.

Edit; worth saying my co-discussee is US based.

I'm a beanbag mount addict, I own 5 of them. I once had a huge discussion with another addict on 'yourtomtom'. One of the things we agreed upon is that for an uneven dashboard the Gilsson beanbag is the best because it has the most flexible base to cope with ups and downs. I still believe this is the best option available.

Edit; worth saying my co-discussee is US based.
I have the Gilsson UBM-1 Portable Car Non-Skid Friction Beanbag Dashboard Mount. It fits the TT Go 730. I've used it in several different cars, ours, friends', and rental cars. It stays put on the dash very nicely, and doesn't slide around.

Now I'm getting the TT Via 1605TM 6" - which I suspect will be rather large compared to my trusted Go 730. I have looked for another Gilsson, but no one has one. I've tried Amazon, e-Bay, Googled it, and even Gilsson shows it's sold out. Why is the best friction beanbag no longer made? What beanbag would you recommend for the 6" Via 1605TM?

Try here: mountguys.com and search for tomtom 1505
I looked at the mountguys.com website, and read some reviews of the friction mounts they have, but they weren't all that favorable. I see you have the Via 1605. What friction mount beanbag would you recommend for the 6" Via 1605TM?

I looked at the mountguys.com website, and read some reviews of the friction mounts they have, but they weren't all that favorable. I see you have the Via 1605. What friction mount beanbag would you recommend for the 6" Via 1605TM?
I happen to use a couple of mounts that insert into the coffee-cup holder. I realize that this is not a beanbag mount that you were asking about but decided to mention them just in case it would be of help.

Be warned that this may or may not be a viable solution depending upon the location of the coffee-cup holders. It works well on my car and my wife's car, but would be totally useless on my son's car - which has the cup holders in the center console right next to his elbow, where the GPS screen would be invisible.

- Tom -

I happen to use a couple of mounts that insert into the coffee-cup holder. I realize that this is not a beanbag mount that you were asking about but decided to mention them just in case it would be of help.

Be warned that this may or may not be a viable solution depending upon the location of the coffee-cup holders. It works well on my car and my wife's car, but would be totally useless on my son's car - which has the cup holders in the center console right next to his elbow, where the GPS screen would be invisible.

- Tom -
I've thought about another type of mount, but I change cars enough, that I want a solution which works no matter which car. The beanbag is very easy to move around, and the one I have from Gilsson works in every car I've rented or used. But I cannot find that kind anywhere anymore.

Ask a Question