Custom Menus Options for v6.xx Software Update?

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
Anyone here found a comprehensive list of the new menu options for the v6.xx software update to allow us to customize our menu on this new application version? I can only find the list of options for customizing the menus of the v5.xx version of the application.

This is the only thing I have found on the net, I hope this might help. I am not sure if it works on version 6.XXX but I might try it later this week and post my findings.

Ever wanted to reorganize your Tom Tom Go's menus?
Want that special option on the first screen not 3 clicks in?
Well you can.

Starting with the default menu
First of all you need to create a folder called:

SdkRegistry

on your SD card. Within that folder create a file called:

TomTom.mnu
Both the folder and the file names are case sensitive. Now paste the following into the file and save it

1- Main menu block

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Menu 1 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Menu 2 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PHONE|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main Menu 3 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_WEATHER|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

If you would like to customize preferences menus, add the following at the end of previous file

2- Preferences menu block

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Preferences 1/6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_2D3D|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_HIDEMAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5|Preferences 2/6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION|
MENUITEM|TASK_MANAGE_MAPS|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6|Preferences 3/6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_ROTATE_DISPLAY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE7|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE7|Preferences 4/6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_TOLL|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOICE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_LANGUAGE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE8|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE8|Preferences 5/6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS|
MENUITEM|TASK_LEFTHANDED|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_TIPS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE9|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE9|Preferences 6/6|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_BLUETOOTH|
MENUITEM|TASK_ABOUT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_CRADLE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_ASN|
MENUITEM|TASK_RESET_SETTINGS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|

This will exactly replicate the existing main menu pages and structure (only GO 300), and the preferences menu pages (all GO). Pages start with the command MENUPAGE, individual menu items start with MENUITEM.

Additional Options
In addition to the basic menu items, you can also change the icon and text for each item. The following should illustrate how this is done:

MENUITEM|MENUCOMMAND|"ICONFILE"|"TEXT DESCRIPTION"|
As an example,

MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|"myicon.bmp"|"Travel!"|
will replace the Navigate to icon and the text underneath will be Travel!

(Bitmap option doesn't work with app-versions prior to 5.202)

Example
Let's look at the text you just pasted into tomtom.mnu, change the line

MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
to

MENUITEM|TASK_SET_MAP|
and save the file. Once your Go restarts you'll notice that the "Add Favourite" option on the first page (when you press the centre of the screen) has changed to "Switch Map".

Below is a list of the available options:

Available options
TASK_NONE
TASK_EMPTY
BTM_GPS_POSITION
BTM_DONE
BTM_TRAFFIC_INFO
TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES <- this item call automatically block_pref menu block (see example).
TASK_SWITCH_ASN
TASK_SET_VOICE
TASK_SET_LANGUAGE
TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS
TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE
TASK_SET_GEO (1)
TASK_SWITCH_TIPS
TASK_SET_VOLUME
TASK_SWITCH_SOUND
TASK_SHOW_STATUS
TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS
TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS
TASK_SET_BACKLIGHT (2)
TASK_RESET_SETTINGS
TASK_SWITCH_BLUETOOTH
TASK_SWITCH_CLOCK (1)
TASK_LEFTHANDED
TASK_ROTATE_DISPLAY
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE <- if you use this, keyboard_type is automatically used after.
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_TYPE
TASK_SET_PROMPT (2)
TASK_SET_COMPASS
TASK_SET_STATUS
TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW
TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES
TASK_SET_DAY_COLOR_SCHEME
TASK_SET_NIGHT_COLOR_SCHEME
TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION
TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES
TASK_ADD_FAVORITE
TASK_SET_SAFETY_SPEED (1)
TASK_SWITCH_2D3D
TASK_SET_MAP
TASK_DELETE_MAP
TASK_SHOW_MAP
TASK_SET_HIDEMAP
TASK_SWITCH_POI
TASK_CONFIGURE_POI
TASK_MAINTAIN_POI
TASK_MENU_RECALC_BLOCK
TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE
TASK_PLAN_VIA
TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES
TASK_ASK_CHANGE_OWNER (1)
TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC
TASK_TRAFFIC_SETTINGS
TASK_TRAFFIC_ENABLE
TASK_TRAFFIC_UPDATE
TASK_TRAFFIC_REPLAN
TASK_TRAFFIC_VIEW
TASK_TRAFFIC_EXPLAIN
TASK_NAVIGATE_TO
TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB
TASK_DELETE_ROUTE
TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE
TASK_SET_TOLL
TASK_SET_PLANTYPE
TASK_SET_CRADLE
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_DEMO
TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_STEP_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_ABOUT
TASK_ITINERARY
TASK_TUTORIAL
TASK_EXIT_APP
TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY
TASK_SHOW_WEATHER
TASK_MANAGE_MAPS
TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD
TASK_DOWNLOAD_MAP
TASK_DOWNLOAD_POI
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VOICE
TASK_DOWNLOAD_SCHEME
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VERSION_NUMBER
TASK_SERVICE_LOGIN (2)
TASK_HELP_GENERAL
TASK_HELP_MAINMENU
TASK_HELP_MAPBROWSER
TASK_HELP_ZOOMING
TASK_HELP_TRAFFIC
TASK_HELP_ITINERARY
TASK_HELP_PLANNING
TASK_MENU_PHONE
TASK_PAIR_WITH_PHONE (1)
TASK_DIAL_POI
BLOCK_MAIN
BLOCK_PREF
TASK_SDK
TASK_PAGE

MENUBLOCK
MENUPAGE
MENUITEM
COMMAND
GEONAME
1) not visible on screen. 2) usefull item and not used by default.

Menu Blocks
There are two types of menu block,

BLOCK_MAIN
and

BLOCK_PREF
The BLOCK_MAIN deals with the main menu pages, the BLOCK_PREF deals with the options that appear in the Change Preferences pages. To make changes to the BLOCK_PREF add a line to the bottom of your .mnu file

Look at the original menu structure, in the first block menu (BLOCK_MAIN) , MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES| item call MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_GPS_POSITION| (the second block menu).

This begins the preferences block. You also need to add a MENUPAGE entry

MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Preferences 1
Note that the number in the TASK_PAGE (4) is a continuation of the previous MENUPAGE TASK_PAGE (3) entry from the BLOCK_MAIN, ie TASK_PAGE counts start at 1 and go up every time you add a page, regardless of which block it appears in.

Here's a quick example, which if appended to the menu listing Starting with the default menu will change the preferences screen to only allow the flipping of the screen orientation

MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Preferences 1|
MENUITEM|TASK_ROTATE_DISPLAY|

Additional notes

Bear in mind, that the GO runs Linux as its operating system and that file and directory names are case sensitive.

Lines within the menu definition file must be terminated by a Linefeed character (0x0a) or a Carriage Return / Linefeed combination (0x0a,0x0d). Macintosh users must take care of that, as their editors normally don't insert a Linefeed.

These options have been tested in software versions 5.1, 5.2, and 5.440 successfully. It may work with other releases, too.

unfortunately, I think that is only for the v5.XXX version, as there are a few more menu options now in the v6.XX version. I'll keep searching and post anything I find here. I really like customizing my menus since I don't use any of the Bluetooth related functions, so I like putting those on the last page(s) of the menus and moving options like Clearing the Route to the first or at least second page of the menus.

Chris, I been doing some research at work today, and I think the script will still work, the only thing is with 6.XXX there are a few new icons and somehow we will have to figure out what the new preferences and options strings are, thats what I am thinking and read somewhere. I will also keep looking into this but I do use the bluetooth option but I just like modding things hehe. Thanks for keeping us posted as well.

Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to imply that the old menu mod wouldn't work, but just what you said, it's missing some options. Some of the options/icons we could take an educated guess at, but some of the menu options have really weird names, so we likely won't be successful all the time.

I'm guessing that owners of the new SDK would know what menu options are available, eh? I wonder if I could get some of the 3rd party TomTom developers (like Makayama) to give us a list of this options? Maybe if I volunteered to be an alpha/beta tester for getting their player to work with the v6.XX of the TT application on the older GO units...? ;)

Chris, thats would definitely be an excellent idea. Please keep us posted :D I been so busy trying to make this forum more informative and interesting that I am now feeling behind in modding my TomTom. So definitely any help would be greatly appreciated by me and all our members.

I found all the ones I cared about, but I saw a posting on www.opentom.org (where I found the link to the file) that said a couple of options were missing from the list. Probably just a couple of options from the rather extensive new options menu. For example, I know that the Tutorial does not work in a custom menu for some reason.

MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD| is supposed to open the TomTom Plus Services sub-menu. But it opens page 2 of the sub-menu (Downloads) directly and I see no command to open page 1. Do anyone know?

And MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL| does not work. That is a known bug.

TomTom 910

I have tried, and failed, to locate a TomTom.mnu file that will exactly replicate the 910 menu, I would like to use this as a starting point for my custom menu.

Mike,
  • On your TomTom hard drive or TomTom card, you must create a folder called SdkRegistry, make sure you use the correct uppercase and lowercase letters where necessary. SDKRegistry, SdkReGistry will not work. it must be SdkRegistry.
  • Open the new SdkRegistry folder on your TomTom device or storage card.
  • create a notepad using the menu tags/codes
  • save notepad as .mnu.

The easiest way to create the .mnu file it is to download TomTom Menu Designer. this designs your menu and saves it as a .mnu file. Then just transfer the file to the SdkRegistry folder.

If you don't want to use the custom menu, just delete the .mnu file from the SdkRegistry folder and its back to normal.

Ask a Question