Custom menu support??

Hi all,

Does anybody know which models and/or SW versions still support custom menus? I.e., loading one's own tomtom.mnu file?

I had assumed that everything would but a recent experience told me otherwise...I got a 540XXL TM but just could NOT get the custom menu idea to work. Is it something that TT changed with a SW version, or do only some models support it, or ......???

TIA,
Chris

The 540 does not require a custom menu; it is not a EasyMenu model. The 550 needs 'help' in getting more functionality.

The 540 does not require a custom menu; it is not a EasyMenu model. The 550 needs 'help' in getting more functionality.

But you might still WANT one.... :)
(eg just to reorganise the order of the menus.)

But you might still WANT one.... :)
(eg just to reorganise the order of the menus.)

Yep, right-o! I know I don't need to but I WANT to do a custom menu.

In case you're wondering about why I would want a doc / text viewer on a GPS....well, geocaching comes to mind but that isn't my primary concern (just ordered a Garmin eTrex for that). I'm not planning on reading a book while driving down the highway ;). What it's for is for memorization..... I could put what I was working on in my TT One 3rd and have it right there to reference while driving low-processing routes (in the country, etc.). I tend to write stuff on 3x5s, which also works but for in the car it is handy to have it on the GPS to free up my hands, not have to look down, etc.

I recall the previous thread. What I don't recall is whether we established whether or not the 540 even has the requisite browser software on it that would make using the 540 as a doc reader possible.

Does your unit have a folder in the root called "microbrowser"? If I recall correctly, the *.chk file found there is necessary to use a TomTom in this way. Can anyone confirm?

I recall the previous thread. What I don't recall is whether we established whether or not the 540 even has the requisite browser software on it that would make using the 540 as a doc reader possible.

Does your unit have a folder in the root called "microbrowser"? If I recall correctly, the *.chk file found there is necessary to use a TomTom in this way. Can anyone confirm?

Well, I can't answer that for sure since I sent it back. I guess I assumed that it did have the s/w though, since it had the same "help" app (with first aid, driving info for various countries, etc.) that my One 3rd had.

But now wait, I did a full PC backup of the thing....I don't see a "microbrowser" folder. So maybe it's not possible on a 540 then? (That would explain why I couldn't get it to work, at least ;)). (Thought I had deleted that backup since I don't have the unit...well, I will now.)

At any rate, ARE there still any TomToms (newer ones) that support custom menus? Seems like this could be a handy bit of information to have catalogued, for the customizer types out there (like...oh, me).

Thanks for your responses so far....still curious if anyone has custom menus?

Chris

Chris,

The 540 will support the custom menu and has a browser.
The models with navcore 10.x are not compatible with a custom menu. All the versions of the handheld car GPS prior to 10.x will support custom menus to a varying degree. The later versions with the easymenu can be improved considerably.

The Tomtom company is trying it's best to close access to the innerds of the TT. They are now a bunch of control freaks that are hellbent on telling you what they will allow to be on your TT drive, if you want to add something on a 10.x navcore you have to check with their website and see if it is allowed and how much they want to charge your credit card to let you have what you want. You will be assimilated <g> , or you can just get an older used TT from ebay and customise. They don't want you to make the TT easier for you to use unless they get to squeeze the pennies out of your purse.

This links to a cool chart that is maintained by MVL, shows all the TT's and what they have for options and software
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/21826-tomtom-model-feature-reference.html

I have a XXL550 (Xtra Xtra Lame) that has the custom menu, it brought back the itinerary planning among other stuff. My custom menu is here http://home.earthlink.net/~russellbaker/SdkRegistry.zip

Ask a Question