Cure for not having a speaker

TomTom Model(s)
Rider V2, OneLE, XXL540TM
I don't mean this as a trashing of TomTom, but just general observations and a solution to an issue I have... I recently purchase a TomTom Rider to replace my Go700 so I can use it on my motorcycle. There are many things I like and a few dislikes...

I'll just write this about the dislikes...

I don't like that it can not be programmed while moving. I sometimes have my wife re-program a route while we are driving and as long as it's in the MC cradle you cannot do that. I guess if I had the car cradle I'd be fine, but TT is out of stock on them for the Rider. I completely agree that while I'm riding I don't need to play with it.

I don't like the included headset for the helmet, if I'm going more than 30 mph on my bike, it's useless. I'm not sure that I'm willing to go another $100.00+ for a decent headset right now. I more got it for the navigation and I can look down once in a while. If I do go with the external unit I'll probably go with one of these...

I don't like that it doesn't have a speaker for driving in the car. I solved this by purchasing from eBay a Motorola T305 to use in the car. I'm hoping that I can get the volume up enough to allow me to hear spoken directions without wearing my phone headset (Jabra BT500)

Hi Thom,

maybe these hints help you to optimize your Rider experience:
see http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/photos.php?galerie=tomtomrider&action=photo&no=6 for a picture how to disable the driving menu (4 big pictures) while moving and having the TTR in the motorbike mount. But I can tell you, that it is quite difficult to operate the device with gloves during the ride because of the frequent vibrations. So I removed the strip again.
Anyway, it might work when you ride a Goldwing :D :D :D

On http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk you can find a couple of great tools written for Tomtom devices. The author is french, but most instructions are translated to english, yet.

The new Rider 2 has a car mount with integrated loudspeaker, like the Garmin Zumo. For Rider 1 there are other options.
You could use an FM transmitter to transmit the instructions from the bluetooth headset via FM sender to your car stereo. Unfortunately, the Rider is not able to be a MP3 player, and driving without entertainment is boring to me. That's why I don't bother about the sound and take a look at the display more often instead. But you could take a look at the products by Parrot:
http://www.parrot.biz/usa

My headset in the helmet works great up to approx. 80mph (yes, we don't have a regular speed limit in Germany). I can answer phone calls up to 50mph. It's really important to place the earphone right on (!) the ear. Every millimeter of distance will make it a lot more difficult to understand the voice.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Helge

I don't mean this as a trashing of TomTom, but just general observations and a solution to an issue I have... I recently purchase a TomTom Rider to replace my Go700 so I can use it on my motorcycle. There are many things I like and a few dislikes...

I'll just write this about the dislikes...

I don't like that it can not be programmed while moving. I sometimes have my wife re-program a route while we are driving and as long as it's in the MC cradle you cannot do that. I guess if I had the car cradle I'd be fine, but TT is out of stock on them for the Rider. I completely agree that while I'm riding I don't need to play with it.

I don't like the included headset for the helmet, if I'm going more than 30 mph on my bike, it's useless. I'm not sure that I'm willing to go another $100.00+ for a decent headset right now. I more got it for the navigation and I can look down once in a while. If I do go with the external unit I'll probably go with one of these...

I don't like that it doesn't have a speaker for driving in the car. I solved this by purchasing from eBay a Motorola T305 to use in the car. I'm hoping that I can get the volume up enough to allow me to hear spoken directions without wearing my phone headset (Jabra BT500)

Thanks Haus,

I wasn't planning to use the controls while riding, but it would be nice to have them in the car while moving (my wife usually does this).

I've got tripmaster already... The creator is pretty active on this site I believe.

Are you using the Stock headset? I have the speaker right in my ear and cannot hear it???

Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking to disable the contact switch.

Thom,

yes, I use the original headset without any problems. There are two headphones delivered in the cardboard box, right? One to fit into the helmet that sits on the ear like a headphone, formerly.
The other one can be put into(!) the ear and is intended to be used for non-motorbike purposes, e.g. in the car. I never used this one so far.

The first one has to be placed really close to your ear, otherwise you won't hear anything during your ride. It's not easy, if your helmet is not prepared for that. In Germany we have suppliers who have taken such things into account.

Good luck,
Helge

Thom,

yes, I use the original headset without any problems. There are two headphones delivered in the cardboard box, right? One to fit into the helmet that sits on the ear like a headphone, formerly.
The other one can be put into(!) the ear and is intended to be used for non-motorbike purposes, e.g. in the car. I never used this one so far.

The first one has to be placed really close to your ear, otherwise you won't hear anything during your ride. It's not easy, if your helmet is not prepared for that. In Germany we have suppliers who have taken such things into account.

Good luck,
Helge

I'm using the helmet headset, I too have little use for the other adapter they sent. My helmet is an HJC- CL-15 which has a pocket in the padding to accept a speaker. I have the speaker directly in my ear, and at highway speeds I cannot hear anything.

I guess I need to get a new BMW with a higher wind screen, as mine is basically useless to me (I'm 6'1"). Maybe I can get the wife to let me get the new R1200GS?

Okay, maybe my helmet is more silent than yours, at least it won some awards for noise reduction and stuff in Germany. It's a german brand, called Schuberth (Model S1, includes integrated sun visor), which is very popular because of its quality. In my Honda forum I read about a new Shoei helmet, that is said to be very silent, too.
The windshield of my motorbike (Honda CBF1000) is also not very efficient (I have about the same size as you), but a silent helmet can help a lot. I don't know, if the new R1200GS has a good windshield, but it's doubtlessly a very good motorbike and you can certainly get a (improved) spare windshield from other suppliers. It's #1 best-selling motorbike in Germany for many years now.
Your wife should agree with that :)

Okay, maybe my helmet is more silent than yours, at least it won some awards for noise reduction and stuff in Germany. It's a german brand, called Schuberth (Model S1, includes integrated sun visor), which is very popular because of its quality. In my Honda forum I read about a new Shoei helmet, that is said to be very silent, too.
The windshield of my motorbike (Honda CBF1000) is also not very efficient (I have about the same size as you), but a silent helmet can help a lot. I don't know, if the new R1200GS has a good windshield, but it's doubtlessly a very good motorbike and you can certainly get a (improved) spare windshield from other suppliers. It's #1 best-selling motorbike in Germany for many years now.
Your wife should agree with that :)

I can only dream of purchasing a Schuberth helmet. I think they go for around $700 American; a bit steep for my tastes.. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/schuberth-helmet/

I'll just keep in the hunt...

A couple of comments from another motorcycle riding Rider owner. I bought my TT Rider quite a long time ago when they were first introduced. My overall rating of the unit would be in the 3 out of 4 range. Here are a few thoughts:

1. I like the navigation software. I also own a Garmin Nuvi and prefer TT's interface for it's ease of use.
2. I have struggled forever (it seems) with problems of keeping a solid power supply connection to the TTR when on the bike and in the cradle. This is a known problem and TT has been good enough to send me 3 "new" old cradles. Currently, the power is working in the latest cradle while riding but I think the connection worsens over time.
3. I, too, have looked for a BT speaker solution for use in the car. My TTR has been used very heavily in the car but never with any sound. This hasn't really been a problem, but it seems a little crazy not to have use of the audio. I have a BlueAnt BT speaker in the car which works great with my phone but will not connect with the TTR:mad:
4. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have never used the audio or BT phone connection feature on the bike either! The combination of volume and power issues has kept me from taking the time to get everything configured. The good news is I have been happy with just using the screen.

Oh, and HUGE +1 for the TT Rider utilities from webbazaar! That guy has written some great additions for the TTR.

All in all, pretty happy with the unit though it was expensive and I have not taken advantage of all of those expensive features. The support for BT issues has been poor via TT but if I could find a good BT helmet that I KNEW would connect with the TTR, well, that would be something!

Last edited:
I was just out of town with the TT Rider and my array of BT devices (Jabra BT500, the Motorola speaker device and the stock BT unit).

The Motorola unit was to be the most convenient, but it didn't pair quick enough and I lost some of the audio when I was near a turn. It was a bit irritating, so I switched over to the Jabra device that worked perfect.
The only problem I have with the Jabra is I have to wear the headset the entire time.
I didn't bring out the stock unit, because I think it's the worst of all.

Navigation was fine for what I needed. I did have trouble navigating to my kids apartment after saving the GPS location (her development's roads are not logged) outside the building. It said no route can be planned. I just re-set the favorite location to a road that was there.

BT Speaker

So, no good BT speaker solutions for in the car use then?:confused:

So, no good BT speaker solutions for in the car use then?:confused:

I wouldn't go that far, just the Moto T305 didn't function as I wanted. I'd love to get one of the new bluetooth car mount units, but my wife keeps putting the nix to that. (my car is BT capable with a few hundred dollars.)

I'm holding out for a mount that may be BT enabled from TomTom, but then again, they might not make it a retro-fit unit. Right now I just use my BT headset

Well, mine was just a question ;) but I haven't seen any solutions and I know the BlueAnt SuperTooth BT speaker doesn't pair with the TT Rider.

I now have bigger issues. I think I "Might" have hurt one of my cylinders. We'll see this weekend.

If the placement of the speaker is a little off it will be hard to hear. Half of an inch makes a big difference in placement. It took a little getting used to when I first installed it, and I had to adjust it correctly. Another idea is to try the next model of headset inline from the Scala Rider, called the Rider FM. It is still mono, but it has 2 speakers, one for each ear. I can not turn up the volume all the way or else I will hurt my ears. The one time I opened up the throttle on my bike I was at about 86MPH and the person who I was talking to was still clear in my ears, and they had no clue I was even on my bike at speeds. They said that they heard a little wind, but it was not bad, they thought I was in my car with the air conditioner blowing on me. The Scala Rider FM allows you to listen to FM radio, and it will automatically switch to the TomTom Rider or your phone while listening to FM radio.

Here is my Helmet, KBC FFR Silver: http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/ffr/ffrsilver

Here is a link to the Scala Rider FM: http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider_fm

Hope that helps some.
Tom

Ok...I have a couple of questions.

I ride a 1200 Goldwing and have my GO 300 set up to work through my intercom system. I want to buy a TTR for the Wing. Since the TTR does not have an external speaker like the 300, is there a way to "plug" an external speaker into it? If so I can hook it up to my intercom the way my 300 is hooked up. Or is the speaker only BT enabled (using the scala)? I really don't want 2 mics on my helmet. I really don't want to spend $500-600 on a system that won't work with my intercom (since I already have one that does, its just not weatherproof).

Thanks In Advance

What kind of intercom do you have? If you are just going to use the TTR for Navigation, and not for the phone then it should not be a big problem. Most intercoms use some type of line-in jack, so get a bluetooth to line-out setup. You at least have options.
Hope that helps,
Tom

Cardo makes one for about $50
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/S...t2=582175850&ProductID=85&Target=products.asp

Here is a Jabra for $59
http://www.shop.jabra.com/jabra/Sho...=13202&actn=addkeycodetocart&keycode=JABRAYHO

This is a little over the top in price @ $131, but I am sure that there are others that are cheaper:
http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=578

Thanks!
I have the standard 5pin Goldwing setup. What I have done is made a connection out of an old headset cord and used a radio shack induction coil (the kind you put on the house phone earpiece to record a conversation) and found the mic inputs for the old cord. Attached the coil to the speaker of the 300 and plug it into the old cord. When the instructions are spoken, it mutes the radio and I (we) hear it in our headsets.

What does the TTR2 use as a line-out for the car mount speaker? Maybe I can makeup a connection and use what I already have?

Gonna check the links out. Thanks again.

EDIT:

Theoretically, I could use this with my setup (they way it is now) to work with my phone also if it can recognize more than one BT item (TTR2 and my phone).
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...products.asp

Last edited:
Just thought about it......MAYBE it would work like that stated in my prior post since the TTR2 will be synched with my phone, the mic inputs that are used with the old cord mute the radio, and the BTA II is synced with TTR2 which should, in turn, send me the phone signal to my headset and allow me to "transmit" to the phone.:eek:

Now my head hurts!!:D

GPS Musings; NavTec vs TeleAtlas...

I just happened to get a Magellan 3250 as a Christmas gift and now have a grand total of four GPS units :eek: in my house (Garmin, 2 TTs and the Magellan).

Being the GPS Geek that I am I have started to compare and contrast some of the units. This is often done by having a couple of the units stuck side-by-side on the side fo my window while I drive down the road (I can actually see a little of the road when I drive ;) ).

The Magellan uses NavTec maps as does the TT Rider2, which in my neck of the woods, seem to be much more accurate (up-to-date) than the TeleAtlas maps on the Go 510. The interface on the TomTom still seems the best to me in terms of both intuitiveness, general routing and options while in route like picking a POI to visit along your current route. I also have found that the TT units acquire satellites faster than either the Garmin Nuvi or the Magellan.

The Magellan 3250 does have an excellent screen (well lit) and the speaker and bluetooth implementation is great, particularly for such a slim unit.

In general, I'm thrilled with the TTR2 and the ScalaRider headset - the sound quality is excellent.

Thought I'd Share:)

Snorebaby, On the TTR2 I beileve it has four or five gold connection points that touch some other connection points in the car cradle and that is how the connection is made. I do not have a TTR2 Car kit, so I am just guessing. It could very well be a BT thing. From what I hear your Goldwing setup is stereo, is this true?

I am not familiar with the Goldwing setup, but if it currently allows you to use a BT phone, then you have less to even think about here. The Phone will pair with the TTR2 and then the TTR2 pairs with the headset in sort of a daisy chain mode. The phone takes presidence over the TTR2, if you are on the phone you will not hear directions.

I actually have a Scala Rider FM so on top of all of this I can listen to music and use the other features as well. Even though there are 2 speakers the sound is mono. I will be using a MP3 player and a FM transmitter on days that I don't want commercials, or on those longer rides that I look forward to taking.

Let us know how you make out with things.

Lodo, quiet a collection you have there. Are any of those waterproof as well? I have the TTR2, a factory unit built into my 2005 Town & Country, plus a Whistler WGPX-550. The TTR2 has the most updated maps, however Chrysler just released a new updated disk for my factory unit, however I have not picked it up yet. The Whistler company just updated the maps for their other two units (635 and 650), and is working on the maps for my 550. Supposedly we will get a new software base to go along with it. In the past I've owned a Go 910, and it was really good on the maps and routing as well. TomTom has actually kept me happier than any of the other using I have used or owned.

Ask a Question