Cross-Country Trip Planning

Discussion in 'General TomTom Discussion' started by shoreguy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. shoreguy

shoreguy

...Thanks in advance...

We're planning a one-way trip of approximately 2500 miles.

I've run the route through Google maps, interactively adjusting the route.
    I've set up a spreadsheet to estimate mileage, stop durations, gas prices, motel stays, food, and miscellaneous.

Now the questions.

I don't see the ability to enter variables like stopping for walking/feeding dogs, ourselves, streching, possible crash (both of us needing sleep), I've roughly factored to drive 4hrs, stop 2hrs, rinse and repeat.

Can I plan the entire trip using Trip Planner/Itinery (TT 920)? Would we be best served by another application, eg. Me (Excel), or 3rd party (Microsoft Streets and Trips) ?

I'd really like to have start Time/Date, running Time/Date estimates with the 4hr drive/2hr break calculated, and be able to adjust that in the planning phase, as well as re-adjusting on the road as actuals occur.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
    shoreguy, Sep 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. shoreguy

Marvin_H

Hi Shoreguy,

That type of trip pre-planning can be easier done with the inexpensive Streets & Trips, on your home computer, or while in a hotel on your laptop. Streets and Trips lets you enter time in minutes/hours/days for each of your intended stops. That will give you the information you are looking for. Then just enter your stops to your TomTom and drive :).

If you don't have a recent version of S&T, you may download a free 60-day trial. Download link and more info: Streets and Trips 2009 ?

The downside to this is that I'm not aware of a way to transfer stops/waypoints from Streets & Trips to TomTom. You would need to enter all your stops to your TomTom after you are done planning your trips with Streets & Trips. This may be a show stopper to some people, but I don't know a better way.

Marvin_H, Sep 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. shoreguy

shoreguy

Thanks, and that's what I'd expected. It will be a little less painful, we've got aircards for our laptops, so we didn't need the ability to ingest the data into the tomtom. It's a pretty straight-forward route, so I'm not anticipating needing the tomtom unless we deviate to sightsee.

I'd already found that link, but your posting it wil hopefully help the next guy.

Thanks again!

shoreguy, Sep 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question