Creating POI Groups - USA - TT510

RVA

TomTom Model(s)
720, 1535TM
Please redirect me if I am posting this in the wrong section.
Situation:
I have created 3 POI groups for my dealer accounts and prospects. It is too slow doing this via the Home inputting each separately. Thus far, I found this to be the best way. I have entered the POI's this way then opened in POIedit to remove the duplicates and to correct the names. This works too. Still slow.

What has been done:
  • I can create in a delimited file but would be absent the coordinates.
  • If I look up the coordinates, the process is toooooo slow thus the above method is best.
  • I tried entering addresses into the POIedit but without the coordinates it would not work.
  • I tried entering the addresses and allowing the TT to find the coordinates. That does not work.
  • I entered the addresses and tried to get Mapquest to give me the coordinates even tho this is too slow. I could put in the coordinates and find the address but not the reverse. Still this would be too slow.
What I would like:
I would like to export a list of contacts from my contact manager. Clear the extraneous information and put it into a proper format. Save to a delimited file and import into TomTom or open in POIedit and then open the resulting file in TT. I would then select a unique Icon, select a bell to ring and set the distance for 500 ft. Since I am laying out Nervana, I would like for this file to contain about 2000 addresses and phones.

What has anyone else done or what would anyone else like to do. Might we work this out to be able to do with a practical time commitment?

Thanks, RVA

if you can provide your contact list in a spreadsheet and attach it to a message I can work on this for you. Use one column as the address only. Another column for description. I'll take care of the rest.

Creating POI Groups - USA - TT510

But Pedro, you are too kind. You should teach a guy to fish ... and so it goes. :)

I might take you up on that however it will take me a while to put my database into shape and get rid of the address duplicates. After I omit those out of my driving area, I might have a couple thousand. Will that work?

I also would need to know the order of the fields. Hmmm, not sure I can get the address in a single field.

Could you tell me the process. Do you use POIEdit? Then I shall know what can be done. The primary glitch seems to be getting the coordinates into the db.

I appreciate your input and your help,

RVA

You dont have to include the address in one column or field.

I use a combination of Microsoft Office to arrange my data,
www.batchgeocode.com to get the cordinates, then POI edit to convert the spreadsheet (.CSV) to a .ov2 file.
The data on the .csv spread sheet should include in order: Column A- Longtitude, Column B - Latitude, Column C - decription. Once you have all this information, save the spreadsheet (excel) to a .csv file by selecting save as.
Open POIedit and select batch convert. Select from .csv format to convert to .ov2 and your done.

Coordinates

Thank you, Pedro. I am comfortable with all but a couple of the steps.
  • I had no idea how to get the coordinates. I looked up the Batchgeocode.com. That is a wonderful tool. It looks like it will be pretty straightforward. They are certainly deserving of my donation.
  • I did not know the fields that would be needed. Knowing this saves time.
  • I find POIedit OK but am not very familiar. As long as I know that is the application, I should be able to figure it out.
What I now would like to do is to prepare the comma delimited file as far as I can go then send it to you to view. You might see something to change that could save me a lot of time or save me from redoing.

Thank you for your interest and help.

RVA

For batchcode's website you should use these fields:Address City State Zipcode Name
The name could have any information such as address, description of the POI or both!
POIedit will be used the convert the .CSV file. I will be happy to look at the file for you.

The data on the .csv spread sheet should include in order: Column A- Longtitude, Column B - Latitude, Column C - decription. Once you have all this information, save the spreadsheet (excel) to a .csv file by selecting save as.
Open POIedit and select batch convert. Select from .csv format to convert to .ov2 and your done.

Thanks for the tips. I get as far as trying to do the batch convert in POIedit but it says the data in my description column (Col C) is "not a valid Floating Point data" and doesn't do the conversion. In Column C I just have the POI name (business name) in plain text....is there something else that needs to be done?

Many thanks,
Mark

You might want to check the coordinates.
You would like, you can email it to me: my first name @ tomtomforums.com

You dont have to include the address in one column or field.

I use a combination of Microsoft Office to arrange my data,
www.batchgeocode.com to get the cordinates, then POI edit to convert the spreadsheet (.CSV) to a .ov2 file.

I have done all this and moved the .ov2 file to my TomTom.

I can see the file name under POI on my TomTom.
When I try to look for them on the map or navigate to one it says "no POI found".

I also cannot open the .ov2 files on my TomTom with POIedit but can open the POI files I have added to TomTom.

Any ideas?

are you selecting the custom POI catergory when you are navigating or are you using the general POI search?

Well after you select one of those 3 options you mention it will bring to you the POI category list and the 'Any POI category' option. If you select the next arrow, you can now view the whole list including custom POIs. Manually selecting the POI category, this will have more accurate poi searching results.

Well after you select one of those 3 options you mention it will bring to you the POI category list and the 'Any POI category' option. If you select the next arrow, you can now view the whole list including custom POIs. Manually selecting the POI category, this will have more accurate poi searching results.

I did that. I can manually select the custom POI because it shows up on the list with the correct icon but it still says "No POI Found!"

I did that. I can manually select the custom POI because it shows up on the list with the correct icon but it still says "No POI Found!"

I have found the problem! For some strange reason if you reverse the latitude and longitude coordinates in the POI file, they won't show up. Go figure!

if you can provide your contact list in a spreadsheet and attach it to a message I can work on this for you. Use one column as the address only. Another column for description. I'll take care of the rest.

hi pedro i have emailed you a sp[read sheet of all the locations address in ontario canada for local bmo branches pls make me a custom poi so i can find a bmo around where eevr i am in the city my email i sent it from is removed if you need anything else from me pls send me a msg

thank you again

forgot to tell you its only 1 column because all the names are all the same same banks just different locations

Last edited by a moderator:
Update Since Thread Began

Since this thread began both the BatchGeo site and the POI software have improved significantly.

Comments and questions
:

• In converting to the OV2 file, the default refuses but click on the drop down and the TomTom selection is revealed.
  • My questions is about creating the OV2 file. It seems that only one field can be used in addition to the coordinates. The other columns are are combined into one field. I had the company name, street address, city, state, zip all in separate columns. They were combined into one column. Are there choices beyond this?
  • This OV2 file is now sitting on my PC. What is the best way to move it into the proper directory on the TomTom device card?
RVA

Use Explorer and move the .ov2 file directly into the specific map folder you are using.

POI is in place and visable

My fault was that TT was not showing in the tree in Win Explorer. I worked that out then placed the file with the other POI's. Works like a charm.

Looks like the final tweaking is left but not at all important.
1. The .bmp file to be Icon for new POI group is in directory and is named same. It is not being picked up as the Icon. Instead a stock Icon red square is used. Any way to access the a different Icon?
2. Is there a size limit for a POI file?

Tks, RVA

The .bmp file MUST be names EXACTLY the same as the .ov2 file. for example, if the name is MyFile.ov2, then the .bmp MUST be MyFile.bmp, not myfile.bmp or Myfile.bmp or MYFILE.bmp, etc.

There isn't a size limit on the .poi file as such but (with firmware 8.3) only the first 48 items in the file will be displayed (though you can see all of them in the specific file using the 'find' button). The number available to be listed in firmwares prior to 8.3 was 24 though, again, you can see all listed in the file using 'find'.
Also, the SIZE of the .bmp is important. General consensus is that it should be 22x222 with 24 bit colour although 24x24x24 colour are also known to work.

What does "only the first 48" mean?

"There isn't a size limit on the .poi file as such but (with firmware 8.3) only the first 48 items in the file will be displayed (though you can see all of them in the specific file using the 'find' button)."

Not sure eactly what you are saying. Example, I downloaded the Starbucks file. Are you saying that even though there might be 3000 stores in the file, that when I am looking for a location, I will be shown only the 48 that relate to where I am?

RVA

Ask a Question