Creating POI files

Hi everyone,

I used EasyGPS to create a .gpx file that contains all the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks fishing access sites in Western Montana (Glacier Country, Region 2).

I have an old Garmin Emap that I use for hiking/geocaching and uploading the .gpx stuff is fine there, but I want to create a TomTom compatible file so I can upload these waypoints (POI) to my Go 920 for actual driving to the sites.

I downloaded PoiEdit 2007, and it appears to be able to convert the .gpx file to .ov2, but it loses some of the detail. In particular, my .gpx file contains a label, display name, description and a symbol as well as the co-ordinates, but the .ov2 file only has the display name and co-ordinates.

I am pretty sure the TomTom supports icon/symbols in the POI so how do I get them?

If anyone is interested in the .gpx I created, let me know!

madkiwi

Here's a link to a bunch of various types of .bmp files.

http://www.gps-data-team.com/gps_navigation.php

If you find (and download) any to your liking, you simply match **exactly** the name of the .ov2 file with the .bmp file you want. For example, you have a .ov2 file called 'mystuff.ov2'. Rename the associated .bmp to 'mystuff.bmp'. Now, move both files into the specific map folder and you're good to go.....:)

Last edited:

Ask a Question