Could use some information before purchasing...

I am considering purchasing a Tom-Tom. The model I am considering is TomTom GO 720. I understand that Tom-Tom also offers a service that costs a monthly fee. I am NOT interested in the monthly service and am only interested in paying the one-time fee for the device itself.

What I'd like to know is what services do I get without the monthly fee? Obviously, I would get directions, as that's the whole point of the device. But which of the following would I still get (please pardon my ignorance with these questions):

1. Updated maps? Or will I have to pay a fee to get the maps that ship with my unit updated?
2. Local gas stations and stores? For example, if I an travelling and need to find the closest gas station.
3. Traffic conditions? For example, if there is a traffic jam along my route.
4. Detours? For example, will my unit automatically take into account road closures?

thanks for any help,
mike.

I am considering purchasing a Tom-Tom. The model I am considering is TomTom GO 720. I understand that Tom-Tom also offers a service that costs a monthly fee. I am NOT interested in the monthly service and am only interested in paying the one-time fee for the device itself.

What I'd like to know is what services do I get without the monthly fee? Obviously, I would get directions, as that's the whole point of the device. But which of the following would I still get (please pardon my ignorance with these questions):

1. Updated maps? Or will I have to pay a fee to get the maps that ship with my unit updated?
2. Local gas stations and stores? For example, if I an travelling and need to find the closest gas station.
3. Traffic conditions? For example, if there is a traffic jam along my route.
4. Detours? For example, will my unit automatically take into account road closures?

thanks for any help,
mike.

There is NO monthly fee related to a TT720. There is for the 740 Live after a 3-month trial if you wish to continue.

If the 720 is NEW, then you are eligible within 30 days of first use the latest map, which in the 720's case, is a 830 map out just today for North_America. Be advised that refurbs are NOT eligible for the latest map guarantee.

IF you buy a USB RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for the 720 ($100 US), you get a year's worth of traffic with it. After that, you pay yearly to continue with the service.

Yes, the 720 comes with many built in poi's. You can also dl custom ov2 files (pois) from various sites, including this one, for free.

You are provided with detours if you have the traffic service.

updates

map change alot during the year especially with map share where routes are given acording the the time of the day and the day of the week. You really need an update once a year. If you do it once it will cost about $89. Tom tom has a map update service whereby you get FOUR map updates a year for a total of only $50 so you see it really doesn't pay to purchase one map. Traffice cost about $60/year for tom toms traffic but to get this you need a compatable cell phone probably at&t . Very few of other cell phone services work with tom tom. You also can use these phones for bluetooth connection whereby you can dial and talk directly into your tom tom. This costs no money but you still need a compable cell. Fuel service is about $30/yr. Most people including myself would recommend tom toms traffric and not the radio servicefor traffic that is only available in the cities. Tom toms traffic really works well especially with the IQ routeing with as mentioned takes into concideration the time of day and the day of the week for arrival time and not the actual speed signs you see on the road. If you want a real good new basic tomtom that has alot of thinks like lane change mapshare iqroutes look into the xl 340 s These units have 7 million Points of Interest and you will be eligible for the latest map updates if downloaded within 30 days. And finally it is my opinion the Tom tom is the best out their and the easiest to use. Good luck

diggeryo (Mike),

Here is something else to consider when thinking about a TomTom.
New = Latest Map Guarantee and Year Warranty
However TomTom will replace your new one with a refurbished one if you ever use the warranty

Refurbished = No Latest Map Guarantee & Six Month Warranty

TomTom themselves no longer offer the 720 New but I will use it for an example
(It can be upgraded to be just like the 730 and is cheaper so still sought after)

New 730 is 349.95 and Refurbished is 229.95 so you save 120.00
This could easily buy a year of maps but I don't think TomTom has anything to extend the warranty.

Popular opinion is TomTom feels these are throw away devices once the warranty expires.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to you questions.

Garmin has lifetime maps that you must also purchase and could be cheaper in the long run.

No GPS maker offers free live gas updates.
You could however make your own POI's using gas buddy and some programming but it still would not be live.

Garmin also has lifetime traffic again you must make a one time purchase.
(Both TomTom & Garmin can be a hit or miss with traffic)

You may also want to compare map providers online first
Try Google for TomTom like maps or TomTom's beta route planner

Try Yahoo, Mapquest, Live, etc., for Garmin like maps
(You may be surprised by differences in some areas between map providers)
Knowing these differences it is also best to plan using maps from both providers.

diggeryo (Mike),

Here is something else to consider when thinking about a TomTom.
New = Latest Map Guarantee and Year Warranty
However TomTom will replace your new one with a refurbished one if you ever use the warranty

Refurbished = No Latest Map Guarantee & Six Month Warranty

TomTom themselves no longer offer the 720 New but I will use it for an example
(It can be upgraded to be just like the 730 and is cheaper so still sought after)

New 730 is 349.95 and Refurbished is 229.95 so you save 120.00
This could easily buy a year of maps but I don't think TomTom has anything to extend the warranty.

Popular opinion is TomTom feels these are throw away devices once the warranty expires.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to you questions.

Garmin has lifetime maps that you must also purchase and could be cheaper in the long run.

No GPS maker offers free live gas updates.
You could however make your own POI's using gas buddy and some programming but it still would not be live.

Garmin also has lifetime traffic again you must make a one time purchase.
(Both TomTom & Garmin can be a hit or miss with traffic)

You may also want to compare map providers online first
Try Google for TomTom like maps or TomTom's beta route planner

Try Yahoo, Mapquest, Live, etc., for Garmin like maps
(You may be surprised by differences in some areas between map providers)
Knowing these differences it is also best to plan using maps from both providers.

I really hate how things have changed for refurbs. I purchased my 720 refurbished with a 1 year warranty, and I purchased an ADDITIONAL 2 year warranty for 24.99, AND it came with LMG. Now they cut the warranty in half, and don't include LMG... BOOOO!!! It's all dhn's fault!

I purchased an ADDITIONAL 2 year warranty for 24.99
This must have been a store warranty and not from TomTom.

I can't say I have ever heard of TomTom selling an extended warranty but it would be nice if they did offer one and it could help keep some TomTom's out of the landfill.

This must have been a store warranty and not from TomTom.

I can't say I have ever heard of TomTom selling an extended warranty but it would be nice if they did offer one and it could help keep some TomTom's out of the landfill.

The extended warranty was from CompUSA (Tiger Direct)

Tom tom has a map update service whereby you get FOUR map updates a year for a total of only $50 so you see it really doesn't pay to purchase one map.

Thank you all for your advice. I think I've changed my mind and decided to go with a TomTom ONE XL-S 4.3-Inch Widescreen (brand new). I'm not going to subscribe to any services (i.e. gas, traffic, etc.). However, I would like to subscribe to the four map updates per year.

Tom-Tom's official website states something similar to what I have quoted above. They say map updates are "as little as $9.95 per update when your purchase four maps a year." There is an asterick in the price which states: "Actual final pricing will vary and will be determined based on the age of the map currently on your device and the maps included in the service type you choose."

I'm a very meticulous person, and I don't like signing up for something unless I know exactly what I'm going to be spending. Is there any way to find out exactly how much I would be spending on four yearly updates BEFORE I actually purchase the unit?

Thanks again for all your help,
mike.

If you buy that unit, you start out by using the Latest Map Guarantee to get to the most recent map (830). Then the subscription is for 4 more updates @ $9.95 per update (though you pay for all four at once).

Further, just so you know, if let's say you moved to another model within that 1-year period, the subscription you paid for is NOT transferable to a newer unit.

The maps themselves will come out to be $11.95 per map for 4 maps (the update service) but what will vary in price is the cost of the map you will have to first purchase to be eligible for the update service. The price of the latest map will be determined by how old your current map is.

For example, my update service cost me $47.80 which includes 4 maps at $11.95 each. In order to sign up for the map update service, I had to purchase the latest map. At the time, I had map 815, and had to pay $11.95 to update to the latest map which I believe was map 825. If I had a map older than 815, it would have cost a tiny bit more. Again, the price of the single map you will first have to purchase will vary depending on how old your current map is. When you go to sign up for the update service, will also throw in the latest map at a discounted price. Do NOT attempt to purchase the map alone or you may be charged full price for it. When you buy the latest map + update service, you will get your latest map + 4 additional maps so you get a total of 5 maps.

Now if you buy a new unit, you will have the Latest Map Guarantee which will give you the latest map for free, and you will not have to purchase any maps. You will be able to just purchase the update service. If you purchase a refurbished unit, you will have to purchase the latest map with the update service, but don't forget that the latest map will be heavily discounted depending on the age of your map.

Edit : Blah!! dhn beat me to it... I took too long to type my stuff out :(

Edit again: And as far as the $9.95 pricing, I don't know anyone who has gotten it at that price yet. Perhaps lower end models or regional maps come with that price for the update service, but everyone here I know has paid $11.95 per map.

Last edited:
Sage, I think the $9.95 price is for the One series and the $11.95 is for the Go series.

Oh yeah, if it's any consolation, as usual your answer was better than mine! :)

Sage, I think the $9.95 price is for the One series and the $11.95 is for the Go series.

Oh yeah, if it's any consolation, as usual your answer was better than mine! :)

Blarg! My short term memory caused me to immediately forget that he was no longer going for the 720, but instead was going for a ONE XL-S. Oopsie :eek:

Ask a Question