Could use some help on which TT to get...

Hi,
I just found this forum while doing some quick, last minute research on a what TT to get, my girlfriend is going to get me one for xmas so I have to decide in the next day or so. The price limit is roughly $150. Right now I am looking at the
1. Go 730 (love all the features, do they actually all work half decently? but it is an older model) $129 bestbuy),
2. XXL 540TM - I like the lifetime map updates but it seems a little sparse for options. $159 futureshop.
3. XL 350TM, seems similiar to the xxl540. $149 bestbuy.

This will be my first GPS, I am attracted to the 730 the most because of all the cool features, can someone comment on how well they work and if it is a good idea to get an older model, or would the consensus be to go with a newer model.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The 730 certainly has all the bells and whistles the newer ones do not: bluetooth, fm broadcast, mp3 player and a card slot that can handle up to 32 gig sdhc card for additional maps, mp3's, photos, etc.

The 540TM does not have the features of the old 730 but no current TomTom does. The 540 does have a 5" screen vs 4.3" of the 730 and the 540 TM does include lifetime traffic and maps. Further, it does have a full menu structure, unlike other models with the EasyMenu. The 540 does not have as many choices as the 730 (which has 8 pages of preferences vs 6 for the 540). As well, the 540 is only USB 1.1 compliant so copying to/from the unit is slower than the 730 which is 2.0 compliant.

The 350 is one of the EasyMenu models and is no where near as good as the 540.

Thanks for the info dhn. So it sounds like to me if I want just a basic GPS that gets me where I want to go and does it well the 540 might be the way to go. And if I want all the features then the 730 might be the way to go, the only thing I worry with buying a 730 now is that it is already pretty old...should I worry about that? And can you tell me if the features on the 730 actually work well or are they not that useful? Thanks!

The 730 is pretty much orphaned as far as application updates are concerned. The last one was in May 2009, 1.5 years ago! And there is a bug in 8.351 such that the bluetooth is unstable with phones disconnecting every few days and having to be reset.

In terms of fm broadcast, it helps if you have a clear fm channel in your area, I don't here in Toronto so it doesn't work that well.

Those that use it as a mp3 player don't seem to have complaints.

The flexibility of having a separate sdhc storage slot trumps some of the issues of its being an older model.

No, the 350 is a basic model. The 540 is more flexible when it comes to user preferences.

Ask a Question