Copying TO device

Hi,

Last night i tried to update my TomTom GO730. However, once i disconnected it i got the flashing red X. First of all i followed the 'soft reset': no good.
Then, as that didn't work, support advised to remove everything from the device via Manage My GO and re-install.
I tried to use backup, but TomTom HOME told me i couldn't back up with this device, so in Manage i copied to computer, presuming that's as good as a backup.

I deleted everything from the device, reinstalled the software via the software update and it the problem seemed to be fixed - the TT come back on.

However, no maps found! Makes sense, all i need to do is Copy items back to my device.

I then realised there's no way of getting my 'copied to computer' items back on the device. I've found the folder they are stored in and can see them in 'items on my computer' in HOME, but i cannot get them on the device.

HELP!

David

Use Windows Explorer to copy the folders back to the device, don't bother trying to use Home for this as it will only frustate you, if you can see the device drive letter and the folders you made when you created the backup simply right click the folder you want to transfer to the device which will be on the computer and select "Copy" then right click the drive letter associated with the device and select "Paste" do this for each of the folders you want to copy back to the TomTom - Mike

Use Windows Explorer to copy the folders back to the device, don't bother trying to use Home for this as it will only frustate you, if you can see the device drive letter and the folders you made when you created the backup simply right click the folder you want to transfer to the device which will be on the computer and select "Copy" then right click the drive letter associated with the device and select "Paste" do this for each of the folders you want to copy back to the TomTom - Mike
hi
thanks for your prompt response.

i failed to mention that i use a Mac. can you help?

Also, the 'saved' files are in zip form (ie Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip). However, when i tried to unzip, there was an error message and i couldn't. There was no Map Folder, as such.

Did you try using Stuffit to unpack the compressed file?
right, no i didn't use Stuffit before. I have now and it unpacked and created a folder (Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB Folder)
However, i tried to drag this to the device and i got the message that there was not enough free space...

Thanks again...

Can you make a screen print showing with Finder (?) [ Windows Explorer equivalent ] what is on your device.

In the map folder, you should see a bunch of cspeechxx.dat files, one for each country covered by the map. You could try to extract the ones for countries you don't pan to visit (for a while, anyway) to a folder on your computer and see if the resulting (smaller) map file will fit.

Or......do yourself a BIG favour and get a (reliable) sdhc card of 4-gigs or more, the faster the speed the better. Just install the map folder and its contents to it, insert the card into the unit and you should be good to go ...The application will see the map on th card as if it were loaded in internal.

Last edited:
Thank you again to all who have responded. However, i still don't seem to be having much luck.

I located the cspeech files and removed all but the GBR one. Even so, i still could add any of the other missing files from the Maps folder to the device.

If the answer is getting a memory card, i'll get it, but all of these files and maps came OFF of the TomTom, so i'd expect them all to fit back on....

Thanks,
David

Everything should fit. You probably have file corruption eating up space.

Since you already have the backup, just format the drive (MS-DOS file format in a Mac = fat32 file format in a PC).

You should have approx 1.9 gigs total space. Then try copying your map folder back and updating everything else via HOME. Only download one computer voice, as they're really big.

great! looks like it worked. Need to work out how to get rid of the computer voices now - i only need one!

Thanks for all your help.

David

Re-instating items 'backed up' to PC, onto Tomtom

I am using a Tomtom ONE New Edition, v.2

I am having similar issues, but rather than start a new post I thought I'd add to this one...

In TomTom Home (v. 2.8.0.2146), under Items on Computer, there is an entry for 'Safety Cameras UK TomTom' as well as entries for 'Speed Cameras United Kingdom' & 'Speed Cameras Ireland'.
On the device (again, in TomTom Home) there are only entries for 'Speed Cameras United Kingdom' & 'Speed Cameras Ireland'. How do I get the 'Safety Cameras UK TomTom' back onto my device?

I have located the 'TomTom' folder on my PC using Windows Explorer & from there have navigated to TomTom>HOME>FromDevice - in this folder there are 120 '.toc' items, numbered from 'data00.toc' to 'data119.toc', as well as 120 '.zip' folders also named 'data00.zip to 'data119.zip'.
Am I looking in the correct place to find the item I need & how do I locate it without looking in every '.zip' folder?

Have you tried 'Add maps/voices, etc.' and carried though the links to see if safety cameras is listed on the computer?

Ask a Question