Copying maps on SD card

I'm new to this forum so please be a little patient...

I've just purchased and downloaded two maps directly from the TomTom site to my hard disk. I could back up my USA maps and leave room in the device for one of the two new maps but not both. I want to save those maps or files on a 2GB (sufficient) SD card so I can simply slip the card into the device and select one of the two new maps to use.

The question is which files to copy from the HD to the SD card, or is there in TomTom Home a specific and automatic function to do this?

Please help.

What model TomTom do you use? ONE XL
What is the version of NavCor you use? 8.010
(Tap on the satellite strength bars for the number.)
What are the versions of the maps you have? Both are v720
Tap again on that version number for the map number.)
What is the version of your HOME software? 2.3

Last edited:
I'm new to this forum so please be a little patient...

I've just purchased and downloaded two maps directly from the TomTom site to my hard disk. I could back up my USA maps and leave room in the device for one of the two new maps but not both. I want to save those maps or files on a 2GB (sufficient) SD card so I can simply slip the card into the device and select one of the two new maps to use.

The question is which files to copy from the HD to the SD card, or is there in TomTom Home a specific and automatic function to do this?

Please help.
For starters you did not say which model TomTom you have.
My 930 has 4 GB internal memory and I use a a 4 GB SD card in addition.

Generally, unless a map is included one uses the TomTom software HOME to download a map and installs it at the end of the download process.
Due to their sizes I keep one map in internal memory and the other on the SD card and switch from one to the other with the "Cange map" command on the TomTom.

What model TomTom do you use?
What is the version of NavCor you use?
(Tap on the satellite strength bars for the number.)
What are the versions of the maps you have?
Tap again on that version number for the map number.)
What is the version of your HOME software?

You're posting in a one thread, so I'm assuming you're using a one.

You need the entire operating system AND the maps on an sd card to run from an sd card in the one units. I would first make a backup of your entire unit on your hard drive using a file manager (make sure it's set to see all files)

then I would leave your original files and map on the internal memory alone. that way you can go back to them just by removing the sd card.

then copy all the files from the backup except the map folder to the sd card. Now you can add any map that will fit to the sd card and run things from the card.

the one units will only operate from one or the other....the internal memory and the map stored there OR from the sd card using the system files and the map stored there.

Last edited:
great post

Thank you flyer1024, for your "input" about this issue.
I too, am new to GPS systems... I've learned an important lesson
with this post of yours.
Cheers......:)

my pleasure sir. :)

It's working now!!

Nowhere do the manuals or the forums (until now) advise that the Operating System ALSO has to be included with the maps in the SD card.

I thought the device's OS handled both the internal and external memories.

With the OS already placed in the card, moving maps in and out is a breeze.

Thanks a whole lot for your help.

I thought the device's OS handled both the internal and external memories.

With the OS already placed in the card, moving maps in and out is a breeze.

Thanks a whole lot for your help.

glad it's sorted out for you. Some of the more expensive units do work from internal and sd card, but not the one versions.

Ask a Question