Copying Favourites to my new TT740

I've just acquired a new TT740, and wish to install my favourites from my old TT910. Does anyone know how I go about this?
Thanks.

Use POIEdit available from Here to open the MapSettings.cfg file in your map folder (map folder will be either Northern_America or Western_and_central_Europe as applicable) this file will be currently on the 910.

With the file open in POIEdit on your PC you can edit the contents and once happy choose File/ Save As "TomTom POI file in ov2 file format.

Save the file as My_Favourites and you will struggle finding it, if you name the file _My_Favourites (notice the extra _ at the start of the file name) it will appear at the top of the POI list. Put this file in your map folder on the 740 and use Navigate to POI from now on - Mike

Thanks for your reply.
Am I to assume that there is no logical way of transferring my favourites. Seems like it should be a simple task, maybe even via Bluetooth. Why is it so difficult?

The file containing your Favourites from the older device will be simply deleted if you put it on the newer unit as the 740 won't be capable of reading it it, when it finds it cannot understand the old file it simply deletes it and creates a new blank one. This is why I no longer use Favourites for anything other than a very short term storage circa 12 hours on a very long drive) - its simply not worth the hastle eveytime a new map or application is released - Mike

Ah, I see.
Thanks for your help, I'll use that system from now on then.
I don't suppose you you know of a Mac version of the POIEdit program?

Another option:

Find a copy of your old mapsettings.cfg file on your PC wherever you do your backups for your TomTom.

Copy your old mapsettings.cfg to your 740's map folder.

HOOK UP your 740 to the dock/USB on your PC before starting your 740.

Fire up the 740 and let TTHome run.

Go to your Favorites and delete 1 item.

Do a proper disconnect of your 740 from the PC.

The above should eliminate the rebooting problems that are so often associated with moving a mapsettings.cfg file to a unit with a newer map set.

If the above causes problems, hook back up to the PC and just delete your old mapsettings.cfg and let your 740 rebuild its own default one.

You do not have to delete a favorite for this to work. All you need to do is Modify the name of any favorite such as deleting the last character in the name.

Another option:

Find a copy of your old mapsettings.cfg file on your PC wherever you do your backups for your TomTom.

Copy your old mapsettings.cfg to your 740's map folder.

HOOK UP your 740 to the dock/USB on your PC before starting your 740.

Fire up the 740 and let TTHome run.

Go to your Favorites and delete 1 item.

Do a proper disconnect of your 740 from the PC.

The above should eliminate the rebooting problems that are so often associated with moving a mapsettings.cfg file to a unit with a newer map set.

If the above causes problems, hook back up to the PC and just delete your old mapsettings.cfg and let your 740 rebuild its own default one.

You do not have to delete a favorite for this to work. All you need to do is Modify the name of any favorite such as deleting the last character in the name.

Or just add a new Favorite, such as your current location. Anything which rewrites the mapsettings file will do it.

Deleting the MapSettings.cfg file caused the device to hang up, requiring a reset. Luckily I had a back up of the file, it didn't write a new one as suggested. Be careful.

Deleting the MapSettings.cfg file caused the device to hang up, requiring a reset. Luckily I had a back up of the file, it didn't write a new one as suggested. Be careful.
Hmmm... that's of some interest. The current (8.350) and prior firmware on 720/730 simply rewrites a default mapsettings.cfg if it doesn't find one. Evidently the firmware on the 740 isn't so cooperative. Good that you note this for other 740 owners.

Ask a Question