copy file query

Hi - I'm a newbie to this forum and this is my first post. I have read several items on this forum regarding backing up and have a couple of questions I hope I can get answers to. The first question is more general; is copying the files from the tomtom via Explorer better than using Home, only because of the overwriting of subsequent backups, or are there other reasons? The second question relates to a copy I have made using Explorer; I've noticed that the MapSettings.config files have been given the type "Microsoft Outlook Configuration File" label. Is this correct or will it cause me problems when trying to do a restore at a later date? I'm unable to find the Home backup folder so I can't check if they're the same. Can anyone help me on this please? I have the 500 UK unit with maps of Western Europe.

Home backups have been known to miss files during the backup, corrupt others and sometimes the restore doesn't work properly. And, as you say, it overwrites previous backups.

When using Explorer, make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

The mapsettings.cfg file is not a text file though using the program poiedit, you can see withing the .cfg file any favourites that you've created.

The location of Home's backup folder is determined by the folder location setup in Home's preferences menu option.

If I remember, the default location is in My documents/UserName/Tomtom/Home/Backup... or something close :)

Hi thanks for the reply. Is the poiedit a programme within the unit software or does it have to be downloaded? Also, regarding the Outlook Config File type being assigned to the MapSettings.config will this affect any restore I may have to do in the future? Your assistance would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Hi thanks for the reply. Is the poiedit a programme within the unit software or does it have to be downloaded? Also, regarding the Outlook Config File type being assigned to the MapSettings.config will this affect any restore I may have to do in the future? Your assistance would be really appreciated. Thank you.

You needn't post 3 times in about 5 minutes. I woulda seen you post eventually :) :D

Anyway, poiedit is a standalone program found at poiedit.com.

Windows sees any extension as one it can 'relate to'. In other words, lots and lots of programs, once installed, will have .cfg files. Your version of Windows would call all of them as Outlook .cfg files. Don't worry about it, honest.

You needn't post 3 times in about 5 minutes. I woulda seen you post eventually :) :D

Anyway, poiedit is a standalone program found at poiedit.com.

Windows sees any extension as one it can 'relate to'. In other words, lots and lots of programs, once installed, will have .cfg files. Your version of Windows would call all of them as Outlook .cfg files. Don't worry about it, honest.
Hi, sorry about all the posts I really don't know what happened! Thanks for the re-assurances on the .cfg files. I was just concerned that if I needed to do a restore these would not be recognised. I will give the poiedit programme a try, so stand by for more questions or cries for help! Thanks again for your reply.

Ask a Question