Convert the RDS-TMC plug for headphones

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
As you can see, my ONE XL is mounted on a vehicle that does not lend itself to hearing verbal warnings from a nav device.;) I have tried a couple of different aproaches to this delima, with varing degrees of success. I think the best solution would be to open up the TT and cut the traces on the PC Board that go to the RDS-TMC plug, and solder a jumper to the speaker. Then I could rig up a "mono" style ear phone that I could wear under my helmet. The small gauge wires would easily snap if I happened to go over the bars (which happens pretty often to me). I am not in an area that has a traffic information service, so this plug will never be used for its intended purpose. What I'm looking for is the correct identity of the type of plug used. Does anybody have that answer for me? :confused:
I'd hate to crack this baby open and then discover that TT has selected a "propriatory" component for this feature. If so, I'll have to find someone that is willing to sell me a broken RDS-TMC antena that I can salvage a plug from. :eek:
Any thoughts or words of wisdom from you "gadget guys" out there?

P1010011.jpg

The same connector is - at least from the looks of it - also used on the Ipod cable which comes with the x20 Music Edition. I know that my Ipod cable will never be used, but I'm in the UK, so perhaps someone closer may have a spare Ipod connector cable too.

I went to my local Radio Shack, and they found a couple of connectors that would fit in the hole, but there was no way of determining where the contacts were located, how many electrical contacts there were, or anything else about what is on the inside.
Maybe if someone has an RDS-TMC for their ONE XL, they could take some close up photos and post those with some measurements? I'll bet I could figure it out from there!

Rick F,
Thanks for that link! It looks like a 3 conductor plug (at least on the 720 series TT). I'm still hoping for some pics and or dimensions before I pop open my ONE XL.

Last edited:

Ask a Question