Continued handsfree buzz/squeal to listener

I recently bought the 720 and had the famous buzzing noise when I called people. Tech Support told me to charge it in doors for atleast 4 hours and then try it again. I did this and still had the exact problem.

Next, I called TS and they told me to do a hard reset and resote the factory settings. I did this and have the buzz noise still.

A third call had TS tell me that Verizon was not supported and this was the issue so I told them I would find a friend with ATT/Cingular or T-Mobile and try again.

Something tells me it will not be a phone issue, but a TomTom issue as there are many threads on the net highlighting this problem. Is there any thing else I could try as I am not overly familiar with the differences in the hardware versions?

Please let me know if anyone can help.

It is not a problem with your phone or verizon.

You most likely need to return it for a new unit. Don't let tt support jerk you around.

Does the buzzing go away if you unplug the cigarette lighter cord and run off the TomTom's internal battery? There's a lot of RFI emitted when you plug the GPS into the cigarette lighter. Turn on your AM car radio and see what you get. My 920T wipes out everything but the strongest local AM stations when plugged in, but if I unplug the power cord then everything is OK. I had a 720 before the 920T and it had the same problem.

That really bad design IMO. This is the 3rd auto GPS I've owned and the other 2 never had any RFI issues.

Does the buzzing go away if you unplug the cigarette lighter cord and run off the TomTom's internal battery? There's a lot of RFI emitted when you plug the GPS into the cigarette lighter. Turn on your AM car radio and see what you get. My 920T wipes out everything but the strongest local AM stations when plugged in, but if I unplug the power cord then everything is OK. I had a 720 before the 920T and it had the same problem.

That really bad design IMO. This is the 3rd auto GPS I've owned and the other 2 never had any RFI issues.

Hey, just wanted to weigh in. I just joined this forum after browsing for a few days, I'm expecting to get a TomTom (likely a 720) for Christmas this year.

Anyway, if the problem happens when you plug the unit in, it is more than likely NOT caused by RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) but rather by a Ground Loop. This kind of thing is relatively common in car audio, since most car electronic systems don't take too many steps to filter out noise caused by your engine, alternator, etc... All this stuff wreaks havoc on the ground that your device is using, and causes that irritating buzzing noise. This is why it goes away when you disconnect power - The TT is no longer using your car's ground.

Now, you should be able to go to an electronics store, or at worst an online retailer, and find a "ground loop isolator." You might need to shop around a little to find something compatible, but a Google search for "tomtom ground loop isolator" should turn up something you can use.

Hope this helps a little!

Hi there,
With two 720 in a separate room with the sam Nokia Phone a N70 the differance is unbelievable here is the story so far!
Purchased 720 2 months ago,
Happy with unit but thought hands free was total garbage.
I presumed that the Tom Tom unit was just sh*#house at hands free.
Purchase another unit for my father inlaw and just for a chuckle thought i would connect my nokia N70.......
Unbelievable difference chalk and cheese!
Went back to retailer and said I had this problem and didn't know
it was just my unit.
They said I had missed the 14 day change over period
My serial numbers were m62357b07787
I thought they would change it over knowing they had a issue!!!
Unhappy Twister
South Australia
PS It has left for TomTom Australia...I get it next year sometime

Ask a Question