Continued Errors with TTH, even after upgrade...

Here's the e-mail I wrote to the TT Help Desk regarding my issue and the lack of any interest for customer service to help solve it:

I had contacted customer service this morning and was on the phone for 90 minutes in an attempt to solve a problem I have been having with HOME. The problem involved an error each time I tried to log in or update my ONE. I would receive an error saying the the parameter generic clientVersion was missing. I updated to the newest HOME software prior to calling, but was still experiencing issues, namely that the server "did not recognize" my request followed by a suggestion that I update my HOME software to the most recent version. Each time I tried to update, I would receive the generic clientVersion error. After two to three attempts at updating, I would finally get a notification that my software was up-to-date. I called customer service and spent 90 minutes on the phone with Carl, who walked me through deleting the HOME software on my computer, deleting the application on my ONE, reloading the application on my ONE, realizing that my maps no longer worked, upgrading the application on my ONE, reloading the maps on my ONE and finally telling me that there was nothing he could do about my issue. When I explained to him my concern that nothing had been accomplished in the past 90 minutes, he said "Well you have your maps and can update right?" When I explained, again, that I could update but only after 3-4 attempts, he simply asked if there were any other problems he could help me with. In my opinion, this is absolutely unacceptable. I wasted approximately 90 minutes this morning, just so I could lose all of my preferences on my ONE, waste cell phone minutes, and be told that there was nothing the technician could do to remedy my problem. I'm sending this request via e-mail in hopes that I will actually receive correspondence from someone who is willing to fix this problem. Overall, I have been very pleased with the TomTom product, but the lack of willingness of Carl to help fix my problem was very disappointing. Thank you for your time.

Anyone had this issue before? Any idea how to fix it? Any idea if I can complain loud enough to get a free TMC-RDS antenna out of the deal? :rolleyes:

66 views and no replies? Has anyone else experienced these problems with TTH? Clearly Tom Tom isn't very interested in helping, I'm hoping you guys can!

I haven't experienced this problem, nor do I have any idea how to correct it. And I hate to say it, but you might just want to try calling them again. Unless you have extremely bad luck, you're going to reach a different CSR, who may be more helpful. I have called TT support about 6 times so far, and had 1 bad experience. During that call, the only thing the CSR said that indicated he would be helpful was the ubiquitus "my goal today is to...". It was down hill from there. I quickly realized that the call would be unproductive and ended it as soon as possible.

On a clean install install of any compatible operating system, TomTom HOME works. As we all know every computer is different, there for every issue is usually caused by a unique set of events. It is very likely that there is a software conflict with a third party application installed on said computer.

Have you tried a different computer?
Have you disabled ALL anti-virus and firewall software?
Have you run the HOMECleaner software available from TomTom Technical Support?

Their are many issues that can cause errors to be generated by the TomTom software, some of which can be caused by the HOME software itself, some of which could be 3rd party related.

TomTom Tech. Support will be more than happy to go to every length possible to get your system working correctly, but understand, every situation is different. You may need to try another computer, just to see if it could be a software configuration on your computer.

Just try to cover every angle is all I'm saying.

You could always try what I did! BEWARE

My new TomTom One XLS was bricked and ONLY showing Guam after some support from the tomtom people.

I was pi$$ed, as I had to also do a soft reset for 20 seconds, remove my app, followed some tech's instructions to a "T", downloaded and unzipped an attached file they gave me on tomtom.com, copy/ pasted to my root files, "yes to all", etc...Then it was FUBAR!

Fortunately I found a post about "No maps found" issues, and Guam ONLY! (Who the @#$% needs Guam? I'll never travel there!)

Anyway, check out this post about formatting the entire unit and erasing ALL data, pluggin your unit back in (hit "yes" to connect to PC), then let tomtom v2.3 start up, hit update my device, and hopefully for you too, it will re-install all operational data, let you have your map back, install extra voices if you have TTS (computer voices), etc...

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=5793&highlight=FUBAR

Again, do at your own risk, but my XLS is working just fine for me with HOME v2.3 :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question