Contacts as POI on map?

A while ago I saw this feature on one of the OEM nav systems - it took the contact addresses from your address book and put them on the map as POIs - Any way to make TT930 do this?

Thanks

-HH

Yes I have that on my unit. I have a custom POI called 'Family and Friends' with an icon. I have added all the information including phone numbers on it and it is displayed on my map.
I can send you the icon I use and the empty .ov2 file you can fill with your contacts if you would like.

Yes I have that on my unit. I have a custom POI called 'Family and Friends' with an icon. I have added all the information including phone numbers on it and it is displayed on my map.
I can send you the icon I use and the empty .ov2 file you can fill with your contacts if you would like.

Sure, thanks. I was hoping to have it auto-populate it from the phonebook, but perhaps this is better. I might just write a little app to export my contacts from Google Contacts and auto-update the .ov2 file (I have no idea what .ov2 file format is, but from your response it sounds like it is text)

Is there a way to auto-update the ov2 file with regular TTHome update or will it need to be done manually every time?

Thanks again.

-HH

I've attached the file. You will need a POI editor program such as POIedit. You can get it free at PoiEdit - Main
You can also use your TomTom to add or remove contacts by going to the 'Manage' Option.

When Im adding a new contact, I use the 'Browse map' option to locate my location and add to existing POI.

Attachments

• Family & Friends.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 461
I've attached the file. You will need a POI editor program such as POIedit. You can get it free at PoiEdit - Main
You can also use your TomTom to add or remove contacts by going to the 'Manage' Option.

When Im adding a new contact, I use the 'Browse map' option to locate my location and add to existing POI.

Ok, silly question, how to add it to the TomTom?

-HH

Automatic MapShare

I would take a wild guess that you should turn off automatic MapShare reporting for new contacts if you're using that tool so the rest of us don't get confused about which Aunt Florence and Uncle Bob we're going to visit (though I'm sure they'd enjoy meeting all these new people with their TomToms).

I am a pc novice when it comes to this stuff... is there an easy way to copy addresses from my outlook or mac into my tomtom oneXL as poi's? i have around 250 work accounts that i call on with addresses in an excel sheet i would like to creat poi's for each of these... will I need lat. and long. instead of 'street addresses'? i can't work out how to use the poiedit and files attached in prevous 'chats'... help!

A while ago I saw this feature on one of the OEM nav systems - it took the contact addresses from your address book and put them on the map as POIs - Any way to make TT930 do this?

Thanks

-HH

The old Tomtom Navigator software for PDAs(PalmOS and some others) would support this. It was a great feature, where the internal address book in the PDA was looked at by the Tomtom.

Tomtom COULD potentially work with various phone vendors to come up with a way to transmit address book records via bluetooth, but that would require some effort.

With the Palm Pre getting a lot of hype, and Blackberry being somewhat standard, and the iPhone having all the Apple zelots running around saying how wonderful their toy is, I feel that it would be worth the time and money to come up with a decent sync method for an address book.

You can use google maps (or POI Edit) to generate your list of customers and then save it as an .ov2. Google maps will need to be converted over from .kml - I think POI edit can do that. I did it for a customer list of 5000 locations about 3 years ago so I don't rember all the details.

For larger batch conversion try:

Geocode.com // Tele Atlas Geocoding Services
Map Multiple Locations by Address

also try googeling the following : geocode, tomtom poi, kml, ov2

Streets and Trips

I've used Streets and Trips in the past and imported my Outlook Address Book. POIConverter will change the .est file to a .ov2 file.

Edit: I just verified this with Streets 2009. Outlook must be closed or will generate an error. I also attached the .bmp below.

Last edited:
New free utility

I know this is an old question, but there is a new answer.

Now you can conveniently convert your Google Contacts to KML (for use with Google Maps) or OV2 (for use with TomTom compatible software) using this free third party Google Apps Script:

http://goo.gl/NsXx8

Of course you have to have your contacts in Google Contacts. The script works via Google Apps (which is free, thanks Google). The geocoding of your contacts is done via Google?s geocoder, the quality of which varies by country. (I?ve found it to be very good in the US).

Jim Harkins
ContactsPOI

Now you can conveniently convert your Google Contacts to KML (for use with Google Maps) or OV2 (for use with TomTom compatible software) using this free third party Google Apps Script:

Of course you have to have your contacts in Google Contacts. The script works via Google Apps (which is free, thanks Google). The geocoding of your contacts is done via Google?s geocoder, the quality of which varies by country. (I?ve found it to be very good in the US).

Jim Harkins
ContactsPOI

I've exported my Google Contacts into a Google CSV format file, then I load http://goo.gl/NsXx8 but cannot activate the spreadsheet button 'Start Easy Contact To POI Converter'.
Not a techie or even a spreadsheet expert so probably making silly mistake?

New free utility

Jim Harkins
ContactsPOI

I have used the google docs spreadsheet and script and got all my contacts into it but get an error "doclist is not defined" when I try to save as OV2 file

Ask a Question