Consumer Reports pans TomTom ring mounts

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540 WTE, Via 1505, XXL TM
http://news.consumerreports.org/car...-navigator-can-be-spoiled-by-a-bad-mount.html

Anyone who has done TomTom repair work will tell you half the broken screens they see were caused by these mounts abruptly disengaging from the glass or dash or sliding off the back of the circular locking spring. They tested 28 different models. They say the ball and socket on the Via models are improved because they eliminate the spring clip.

http://news.consumerreports.org/car...-navigator-can-be-spoiled-by-a-bad-mount.html

Anyone who has done TomTom repair work will tell you half the broken screens they see were caused by these mounts abruptly disengaging from the glass or dash or sliding off the back of the circular locking spring. They tested 28 different models. They say the ball and socket on the Via models are improved because they eliminate the spring clip.
Personally, I like the ring mount much better than any of the other mounts. I have had no problems with the "ring" coming loose unintentionally, and I like how easy it makes it to remove the GPS from the car.

I agree about the problem with the suction cups. I cannot get one to reliably attach to my dash, and a window attachment would be in an unacceptably inconvenient location in my car, so I have no idea if it would work any better. (Actually, I have never trusted a suction cup attachment on anything I have have ever used, so it's kind of a moot point anyway.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I'm with Tom on this one. As the season changes and we're seeing significant temperature swings again, the standard suction mounts are dropping TomTom's all over my car again. I HATE having to remove a suction mount to remove a device. It's bad practice for any number of reasons.

Ask a Question