"Consumer Reports" GPS ratings Feb. 2013

No longer a subscriber .. could you give us a 'bullet' 'fair use' version of the article?

I can't find an article on their website (I'm a subscriber), but they continue to rate Garmin at the top of their lists.

The main reason for this? They place absolutely zero weight on how good the device's directions are. Their "routing" rating is defined as how many routing options you have and how fast it calculates a route. Their "traffic" rating is defined as how good the traffic pictures look, but specifically excludes anything to do with the accuracy of traffic info.

I think they've been so "Garminized" that they subscribe to the fallacy that "local knowledge always gives better directions than what a GPS can calculate", and thus exclude directions quality from their ratings. The real truth is "local knowledge is always better than what a Garmin can calculate." Anyone who has used an HD-traffic Tomtom knows Tomtom gives better directions than local knowledge.

Tomtom's directions quality is heads and shoulders above any other brand. And they do it at the expense of bells and whistles. Since Consumer Reports doesn't care about directions quality, Tomtom doesn't stand a chance.

Ok, here’s the story on CR article:
24 GPS rated on: ease of use, routing, info for driver, mount design, display, and traffic interface.
Top score 82 (Very Good), bottom score 62 (Good); none were rated E (Excellent).
Lowest number - best
1 – 7 – Garmin, 8,9 –TT, 10 –18 Garmin, 19, 20 – Magellan, 21, 22 – TT, 23 – Magellan, 24 – Garmin.
# 10 – Garmin Nuvi 2455LT & MT selected as “Best Buy”
All others on the list (23) are “Recommended” from over 100 that were tested.
Top TT unit # 8 Go 2405 TM.

2405? Did they even test a Live TomTom unit?

In the ratings I see online, the 2535M LIVE is the highest rated Tomtom model.

I think, you may be looking at the older article. this one is in March 2013 edition.
CU tested over 100, only 24 are shown.
As far as TT is concerned there are 4:
#8 Go 2435 TM
#9 Go 2405 TM
#21 Via 1435 T
#22 Go 730/630

The fact that they are still evaluating a 630 and 730 in their ratings says volumes. That said, I understand in part how some were chosen ... for some reason, they restricted their selection to 4.3" models from all brands.

The fact that they are still evaluating a 630 and 730 in their ratings says volumes. That said, I understand in part how some were chosen ... for some reason, they restricted their selection to 4.3" models from all brands.
They concluded that 4.3 is right for cars, anything bigger is for SUV & RV.
I have 5" & still think it's not big enough, incidentally, I think a "portret" format would be better.

They concluded that 4.3 is right for cars, anything bigger is for SUV & RV.
I have 5" & still think it's not big enough, incidentally, I think a "portret" format would be better.
You should see the higher resolution 6" screen on the Via 1605 (aka Start 60). Really pretty. Unfortunately, they have yet to pair it with hardware for Live use.

CU product testing results vary wildly, a product tests out good last year can be bad this year or vice versa. I think it's depending on their testing teams quality.
God forbids, CU, please don't test Wine and Cheese !

CU is a good service for some things. Unfortunately they and most other professional reviewers have their own specific criteria. My personal criteria is skewed highly toward visibility, sound quality of guide instructions, and accuracy of chosen routes. Personal reviews of professional drivers, not professional reviewers, list TomTom units higher on all of these criteria. No gps is going to be perfect in every case, but after wading through loads of reviews I decided another TomTom is in my future. Probably the 1605tm.

Have a Garmin 1490 lmt that does not update maps any more. Garmin said firmware had to be updated. Out of warranty also. Cost to fix firmware was pegged at $125.00 in Canada. Cheaper to buy Tom Tom 1435 TM refurbished with 2 year warranty at Tiger Direct. Won't buy a Garmin ever again, in fact I was counselled by friends to buy Tom Tom but thought I knew better. Mexico maps for Garmin were pretty accurate for the Pacific Coast but they cost an extra $50.00 and were not part of Garmin package. Out of breath on this whole thing, Tom Tom should be here in just a few days from Tiger Direct.

Ok here is a twist to my prior posting. The Tom Tom unit I ordered from Tiger Direct is still in transit with UPS. When I originally posted the prior posting the unit was in Hodgkins, IL, United States. Today it is in Redmond, WA, United States. I dont understand the route, it may be using my old Garmin to get here.:):(:rant:

... a day away from Winnipeg. call UPS and ask if this is normal routing for items coming from USA.
You know from nothing!
;->)
Goods from the States to Winnipeg were dropped off by York boats, going up the Red River, on their way to lower Fort Garry.

Ask a Question