Confusion with One XL Designation

I have ordered a TomTom One XL refurbished model from TigerDirect. My question is why is it designated as a TomTom One XL TTS? There are more than half a dozen sites on the net that advertise this model as such, what is the reason for this designation? Is it the TomTom One XL or the TomTom One XL S?

It is a One XL-S. Originally, only Walmart sold that product, essentially a One XL with TTS capability. Now, as you point out, others are selling it too but are mistakenly calling it TTS.

Thanks for the prompt reply; that is the first logical answer I have gotten on this question. I tried another forum and the admin on the forum stated that TigerDirect probably made a mistake on the name. He did not bother to check out the facts online, then when I disputed it another member on the forum basically told me as a newbie I did not have the right to dispute the administrators answer, UGH!

I was wondering what was going on as I could not find this designation on the TomTom home site. I sort of assumed that it was either the One XL or the One XL S.

Would the refurbished model have the latest map updates or not?

I missed the UPS delivery this morning, he or she probably just knocked and did not ring the doorbell, we have an electronic Westminster Chime set at full volume because of my hearing problem. He or she supposedly came at 8:50 and I was up and awake but in the bathroom. The doorbell unit is 10? from the bathroom,

I have a One Third Edition and wanted the extras the One XL offers, Will I be able to store my itineraries on the card for future recall?

Thanks again for the prompt sensible reply.

If you check, you'll probably find it was I that gave you the same info on the other forum. Along with the admin and other moderator as well.

In any event, you have to be VERY careful about refurbished units in NA. TomTom will NOT honour the LMG for 'factory reburbs' in NA; in Europe, they do.

If you check, you'll probably find it was I that gave you the same info on the other forum. Along with the admin and other moderator as well.

In any event, you have to be VERY careful about refurbished units in NA. TomTom will NOT honour the LMG for 'factory reburbs' in NA; in Europe, they do.

So why did you not give me a sensible answer yesterday on the other forum instead of taking me down a peg? My facts were correct and Tim did not check things out. Even you did not check things out in your first answer on the other forum but assumed I had made a mistake.

Had I gotten a sensible answer like you gave me this time I would not have questioned the other forum and looked for help here for a simple question,

gatorguy have your laughs, I had mne too. ;)

Twighlight Zone??? I wondered if I was there!!!:D

I suppose that now I will be banned from both forums as the same people are behind the scenes. ::eek:

There is another point I want to state, the TigerDirect site had the manual download at the bottom 9f the page, it is a One XL S model. Also it states in the addthat there is Blue Tooth installed, I did not know this model had Blue Tooth capabilities, am I missing something?? :)

My apologies for any ruffled feathest, gatorguy close your jaws please! ;)

I will still be happy even if there are no map updates, still beter than my One Third Edition.

The XL does have Bluetooth, but not for hands-free calling. The hands-free profile is not there, only the DUN (dial up networking) profile is on the XL so it can be used as a modem to access data services, but not for hands-free calling.

The XL does have Bluetooth, but not for hands-free calling. The hands-free profile is not there, only the DUN (dial up networking) profile is on the XL so it can be used as a modem to access data services, but not for hands-free calling.

Thanks for the reply, however when I check here it does not thus the confusion.

GPS comparisons: TomTom comparison chart

Now where is the Twilight Zone? Or am I in it???

Notice the text at the top of that page:

"One note of explanation. In the chart below, the Bluetooth feature refers to units that support hands free cell phone use. Some TomTom units have Bluetooth but use it solely for TomTom PLUS services."

Hey Tim, !got more stars than you.:D

Frieslander, no good moderator bans a user for asking an honest question. And no it's not the same guys behind the scene. I have nothing to do with this forum and neither does Tim. I hope you didn't take offense for the earlier post, but once you've had the chance to think about it, you might find the situation funny. At least a few days from now. :)

In hindsight we all did give you the correct answer.

Tim got under my skin simply when he assumed that TigerDirect made a miatake on the name when there are probably more than the half dozen resellers I found that are using the designation.

When more than that many sellers use that designation someone is telling them that they have to use that name. Then TomTom did not have that name listed.

Who does the factory rebuilds? What factory? I do not know if TomTom actually has a place where they manufacture them. Probably like everything else they are made somewhere under contract. But why does everyone that I can find, I have not looked for all, I stopped when I did, have them designated as a TTS rather than S? Even if Walmart was the sole seller of the original models.

It would be interesting to find the story behind this all but I guess not in these forums.

Gatorguy, in a round about way I got the answer but it would have been simpler and less hassle if I got it the way I did this time, maybe dhn learned something in the other forum.

No I am not upset as I always loved to stir things up when I was working and they used to complain to my department head. He used to tell then that I roared like a loin but if handled right I would be as gentle as a lamb and do anything for them. :D:D
Like I said before, sorry if I ruffled any feathers. :)

Hey, you haven't ....... and we won't pursue the precise issue anymore. All of us (I think) enjoyed the irony.

I don't think anybody is sure whether TT has a North American manufacturing facility or not. There is some indication the NA models are shipped here from europe. All the European refurbs apparently are done in one location in Holland.

North American models that are repaired are shipped to a NA address but it is unclear where the repairs are done.

Hey, you haven't ....... and we won't pursue the precise issue anymore. All of us (I think) enjoyed the irony.

I don't think anybody is sure whether TT has a North American manufacturing facility or not. There is some indication the NA models are shipped here from europe. All the European refurbs apparently are done in one location in Holland.

North American models that are repaired are shipped to a NA address but it is unclear where the repairs are done.

That must be why I like TomTom, I am made in Holland too, 65 years ago, emmigrated to Canada in 1952 at the age of 8. :D

Yes the funny part is that if you buy one in Holland it will not be made there probably made somewhere else. It was the same thing with Philips, NA products were made in Holland, Holland products were made in Taiwan or Japan I am not sure anymore,

I have looked at a friends Garmin and the menu set-up drove me crazy, the TomTom is far easier to navigate for me. I will have to see how the One XL S works out for me. I am anxious to try out the itinerary planning. The One Third Edition sometimes frustrates me when it does not want to pick the route the way I want it to go.

Hey dhn no hard feelings, we all learn and carry on. Yes the irony.

One other question, promise you will give me a honest answer:

How do I get out of the Twilight Zone??? :confused::confused:

That was a good show!

I'll provide a link here to a website provided by one of our members, Birdman. It has great information about using a program called TYRE (and a link to the site to get that program) in conjunction with Google Maps to make itineraries for TomTom.

Frieslander, I think it's simply a re-badged XL-S. Perhaps to emphasize that the unit has text-to-speech they've just modified the model name for the refurbs only. Or another possibility is that they were originally simple XL's, which aren't big sellers anyway. TT added TTS and to keep it straight which units they altered, added the TTS moniker. In fact after thinking about it, IMO the second scenario may be the most likely.

That was a good show!

I'll provide a link here to a website provided by one of our members, Birdman. It has great information about using a program called TYRE (and a link to the site to get that program) in conjunction with Google Maps to make itineraries for TomTom.

Yes it was a good show, at the end of some episodes it had me wondering if I was not in the Twilight Zone myself.

Another couple of my favorites were Highway Patrol, Cannonball and Tugboat Annie. That Tugboat Annie I loved because I always loved tugboats. I scratch built a 36" scale radio controlled model of a 40's harbour tug.

Thanks for the programming link, I will check it out. :):)

gatorguy: Yes that makes sense, I wonder why the XL S was not popular? It seems to be the same as the One Third Edition but with a wider screen, a card slot and the other extras. Like I have said before, I love the One Third Edition but wanted more features.

The fact that those refurbished units are a good price and the fact that my daughter thinks she can easily sell my Third Edition were she works prompted me to buy one, I have bought refurbished laptops, cameras and other items without them giving me any problems.

Originally, only Walmart sold that product, essentially a One XL with TTS capability.
Actually, that was the "ONE S" that was only available at Wal*Mart initially and is now available at a few other places as well. The XL-S got a typical widespread product introduction. I recall I broke the news on (Oct 2007) it when I found it in Amazon's database the day before TomTom announced it.

To err is human .... to forgive is divine! :p

Thanks for the clarification, whomever you are. :D

Actually, that was the "ONE S" that was only available at Wal*Mart initially and is now available at a few other places as well. The XL-S got a typical widespread product introduction. I recall I broke the news on (Oct 2007) it when I found it in Amazon's database the day before TomTom announced it.

Now if you only could find out where the refurbised One XL TTS name originated and why. My curiousity bug just got a BIG bite! UGH! :mad:

Curiousity Killed The Cat!!!!:eek:

Ask a Question