Confused Newbie

TomTom Model(s)
XL350TM
I Just bought an XL350TM.

I've installed HOME on my PC and done all the updates etc, and I've tried planning a journey online but I couldn't see where I can plan an itinerary. - e.g. BC to Ontario with motel stops etc..

Also it appears that my GPS is IQ Routes ready but I have to fork over more cash to get maps that are IQ Routes capable. Is this correct.

Am SOL on both counts?

I Just bought an XL350TM.

I've installed HOME on my PC and done all the updates etc, and I've tried planning a journey online but I couldn't see where I can plan an itinerary. - e.g. BC to Ontario with motel stops etc..

Also it appears that my GPS is IQ Routes ready but I have to fork over more cash to get maps that are IQ Routes capable. Is this correct.

Am SOL on both counts?
On the former (itinerary planning), see these threads at the top of this section where this issue has been discussed at great length ... both apply to your XL350TM since you've got the nasty EasyMenu system. The second thread describes a method for returning the itinerary planning functionality to your unit.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/23136-major-update-easymenu-devices.html

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...ow-get-more-menu-options-models-easymenu.html

As to the latter - no, your unit already comes with the IQRoutes capable mapping and firmware, and your TM subscription gets you the updates as they come along. The most recent release was just a couple of days ago, so you should be seeing map 860 now.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Got mixed feelings about the links re: itinerary. I'm not sure what the first link does for me other than disappoint vav s/w quality. The second one looks like a hack which is at risk of getting blown away by regular updates.

As to IQ Routes I'm still confused about what the $50 map offering buys me. - see attached screenshot.

Attachments

• TOMTOM_Map_Offer.JPG
    TOMTOM_Map_Offer.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 410
Thanks for the speedy response.

Got mixed feelings about the links re: itinerary. I'm not sure what the first link does for me other than disappoint vav s/w quality. The second one looks like a hack which is at risk of getting blown away by regular updates.

As to IQ Routes I'm still confused about what the $50 map offering buys me. - see attached screenshot.
As to the former, many of us have been playing with the *.mnu file "hack" for a long time on different models for different reasons. In my case, I set up my old 720 for special purpose use where I really needed fast access to the buttons that I used the most, and the *.mnu game lets me order them so those I need are on the first two pages. There seems to be no interest at TomTom in killing off the *.mnu option for those models that supported it - been there for ages, too.

Your options are to go with the *.mnu hack, try to return the unit for one that doesn't have the stupid "Easy Menu" structure, or live without the feature. Sorry about that.

As for the $50 map you're being offered, I haven't a clue. Home isn't known for always being accurate. You already have all of North America on that unit. Your maps are IQRoutes maps, though, and your firmware supports them. Just ignore it. You already have a lifetime map subscription which you should have enabled through Home, and they should have delivered the new map (860) For U.S./Canada/Mexico to you during the course of the last week during an update. If you're having issues with the subscription, let us know and perhaps we can work through that as well.

Last edited:
Thanks canderson.

wrt menus - I'll use the 350 for a while and then try the.mnu trick.

wrt - IQ Routes map - I'll ask support and post back.

G

Thanks canderson.
wrt menus - I'll use the 350 for a while and then try the.mnu trick.
It'll certainly buy you back some of the missing functionality.

wrt - IQ Routes map - I'll ask support and post back.
Actually, it's not an IQRoutes question ... it's a question of why anyone with the full North American map set keeps getting offered the Canadian/Alaskan map, duplicating exactly what they have loaded, for $50. Strange stuff. I'll be curious to know how they explain that one!

Here's what Support had to say about the Map offering...

John, I have checked your account and found that you have USA, Canada & Mexico - Lifetime Map Update Service and it covers Canadian/Alaskan map. TomTom HOME may offer the map. However, I would suggest you to please ignore it.

Took me five minutes to stop laughing!!!

Ask a Question