Confirmation Needed on This Procedure

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One V2
Can any of the TT Guru's confirm or deny that the following procedure works.

If anyone wants to test my hypothesis try the following:

You can completely power down your TomTom One by pressing the reset button on the bottom of the unit. This will not cause the device to lose any data (favourites, etc.) or settings.. You can then turn it back on by holding down the ON/OFF button for ~4 seconds. The navcore software will take longer to boot because it is a cold boot ? nothing cached or already running in memory.

See if the battery's charge shelf life is increased by following the above.

I'll try testing this next week, need to use the device over the next few days.
posted 2008-Dec-24

Update:

Late reply but better than no reply...

I can confirm resetting your TomTom One v3 will maintain the battery level when it is turned 'off'.

Since NavCore v8 the off button is just a sleep mode which drains the battery. Resetting the device (press and hold the reset button for > 4 seconds) completely turns it off.

Resetting does not lose any data or information from your device ? it simply turns it off so the next time you turn it on it does a cold boot.

The only downside to resetting is that it takes longer to turn on.

I tested by fully charging the my TomTom One, resetting and letting it sit on the shelf for 2 weeks. When I turned it on again, the battery indicator showed a full charge. If I do a full charge and just turn it off by the on/off button, the battery will fully drain within 4 days.
posted 2009-Jan-27

Thanks.

Yes, that is all correct. a pin reset is just like rebooting your computer.

The tomtom shut down normally is still running in the background and will continue to use battery power. a pin reset shuts it down totally and there is no battery drain. I do this if I'm away for a while so the unit does not kill the battery. Have seen no battery drain after a month long trip by doing this. the battery would have been totally depleted and perhaps ruined if I had just turned it off normally and left it that long.

Ask a Question