Computer won't recognize TomTom

Alright, here goes...

So, I originally got my TomTom Go 720 for Christmas. It's been great to me so far and worked essentially without fail. I started playing around with trying to get some of the third party media players on it so I could have a better audio playing interface, as well as the capability to play movies, but this eventually somehow proved to cause my device to cease to function. I tried everything I could to fix it, but ended up just taking it back to the store for a replacement under the extended service plan.

So anyway, I got the new device and it works just fine - reminding me of my old one. However, whenever I connect this new device to my computer it won't recognize it. When I choose "yes" to connecting on my device the screen goes blank for a second, shows a logo, then goes to the docked view. However, nothing comes up on my PC at all. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the versions of the software, but nothing has worked so far. I've even pressed the reset button on the device. I've managed to get it picked up to work on my old PC, but it's kind of feudal to use the device on an old, very slow PC with little memory.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Alright, here goes...

So, I originally got my TomTom Go 720 for Christmas. It's been great to me so far and worked essentially without fail. I started playing around with trying to get some of the third party media players on it so I could have a better audio playing interface, as well as the capability to play movies, but this eventually somehow proved to cause my device to cease to function. I tried everything I could to fix it, but ended up just taking it back to the store for a replacement under the extended service plan.

So anyway, I got the new device and it works just fine - reminding me of my old one. However, whenever I connect this new device to my computer it won't recognize it. When I choose "yes" to connecting on my device the screen goes blank for a second, shows a logo, then goes to the docked view. However, nothing comes up on my PC at all. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the versions of the software, but nothing has worked so far. I've even pressed the reset button on the device. I've managed to get it picked up to work on my old PC, but it's kind of feudal to use the device on an old, very slow PC with little memory.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Are you trying to dock it in a USB port in the front of the computer? If so, try one of the usb's on the back of the cpu.

You should still be able to launch TT Home even without your 720 docked.

I would launch TT Home from the start menu on your PC and click on "help" then "About TomTom Home". This will tell you what version of TT Home your running.

If you're not running version 2.2.2.83, go to the TomTom Home website and download then install the latest version for free.

Hope this helps.

You did not say if your TT device shows up on your "My Computer' screen as a disk device. If not, does it show up in your device manager as a device (I have had a problem with a different device that showed up on the latter, but was not accessible on the former).

If it does not show up on the "My Computer" screen, I would try plugging it into a different USB port than the original one was plugged into - it may re-install it as a new drive from there.

If it is accessible on your other computer, it looks like it is a problem with your newer computer so I would focus on it.

Well, this is the thing.

I've uninstalled both the version of TomTom Home that the device came with, along with the newest version from the website and doing neither seemed to work. The newer computer I have is a laptop, and unfortunately two of the ports on it have seen some abuse and don't really work anymore. This leaves the other two which my old device worked fine with. Now when I plug in the new device and connect occasionally I hear a little add hardware sound, but nothing comes up anywhere, including My Computer.

It's got me a bit stumped!

Well, this is the thing.

I've uninstalled both the version of TomTom Home that the device came with, along with the newest version from the website and doing neither seemed to work. The newer computer I have is a laptop, and unfortunately two of the ports on it have seen some abuse and don't really work anymore. This leaves the other two which my old device worked fine with. Now when I plug in the new device and connect occasionally I hear a little add hardware sound, but nothing comes up anywhere, including My Computer.

It's got me a bit stumped!

Goto this link:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28888

and see whether any of the suggestions or hotfixes from Microsoft in point 2 help.

I have the same problem here. I get the pic of the pc being in the doc on the tomtom but I get nothing on my pc in "my computer." However I am trying this at work and I DO NOT get a signal in this bldg. Could the problem be the fact that there is NO signal? I wouldn't think so but who knows.

Ask a Question