Computer Voices with TT Home

TomTom Model(s)
XL 335 S, Via 1535TM
OK, I learned that to hear the street names being read, you need to configure TomTom to be using a Computer voice, as opposed to a Recorded voice, so that's what I did. I set up a route. Then I plugged in to my computer, started up TomTom Home, selected "Operate my One XL" (even tho I have an XL - it appears I have the correct version of Home - I triple checked). I clicked the Lower Right area, and noticed that instead of a listing of the satellites, I saw the legend "demo" and zero satellites. So I guess the gps doesn't operate on the computer, only the settings for the TT device, operate, operate, not the gps itself. So I can't view the TT's gps info on a laptop, only on the TT's own screen. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

I ran a demo of the route I had entered, on my computer. I heard the computer voice announcing the turns and street names. Then I got a notice to do a new, periodic, "gps fix" update, so I did it. And after that, I was no longer able to hear computer voices on the computer, only recorded voices. I can still hear my computer voices on the TomTom. When I use preference to see and change the voices, I still see the computer voice I was using (Susan) listed, but it is grayed out and a legend says something about it needing to be installed or downloaded. However if I go to download it I get a mesage that I already have it.

If I change to a recorded voice in TT Home, then we I go back to TT, I have that recorded voice (Bonnie) instead of the computer voice that I need to hear street names.

I tried adding Susan (the computer voice) to "items on computer" in Manage your Navigation Device, but that didn't help.

I tried uninstalling both TT Home programs, and reinstalling TT Home, but that didint' help. I also tried deleting the files under c:/documents and settings/[username]/application data/tomtom and letting TT Home reinstall them (as per instructions listed on TT support page) but that didn't help. Other suggestion on support page was reset the TT itself by holding down the button for 15 or so seconds. I'm afraid to do that for some reason, even tho the page says no settings are lost.

You won't get the Text To Speech voices (computer voices) to work via TT Home they simply don't work that way, as for a reset of the device don't worry about it as you don't lose anything settings/ data etc - Mike

You won't get the Text To Speech voices (computer voices) to work via TT Home they simply don't work that way, as for a reset of the device don't worry about it as you don't lose anything settings/ data etc - Mike

I would have sworn that at one time, when doing Operating my Device, from within TT Home, and chosing to do a Route Demo, that I was able to get a Computer Voice to work, and that it was reading street names. I guess I was mistaken.

It is really annoying to have to change from Susan (computer) to Barbara (recorded), before running a demo in TT Home, and then having to change the voice back to Susan, before actually using TT.

I have just got a tomtom 630 and stumbled across the option to change from recorded to computer voices. I have now decided that I want to have the street names on there but i cannot seem to find the option to change it now.

Can you please direct me to where I need to go to change it?

Thanks

Change Preferences/ Voices/ Voice Preferences and select "Read aloud street names" - Mike

Ask a Question