computer voices stutter on one-xls

I have a one-xls and the computer tts voices on alot of directions will stutter and break up.

i have wiped the unit clean and reloaded with fresh data from tomtom home.

using navcore 8 and 7.20 maps

male and female computer voices both do this.

any clues?

Some notice the stuttering when they are on battery power and the battery is low.

I read somewhere in this forum that the memory in the xls is too low. It's too much information for the xls to give direction and voice at the same time
I have the same issue and not only in battery mode.
It's also when the name are very long like "turn right on I85-US246 ....."

That is really wrong for them to sell a device advertised as text to speech, but isn't really even able to perform that function well. It's just really hard to believe that the specs of the XLS cant even handle text to speech.

I have an XL, and even without having text to speech, I only have 2mb to 3mb of ram free all of the time. Ouch.

I have a one-xls and the computer tts voices on alot of directions will stutter and break up.

i have wiped the unit clean and reloaded with fresh data from tomtom home.

using navcore 8 and 7.20 maps

male and female computer voices both do this.

any clues?

You may have too many POIs notifications. If such is the case, your cpu needs to check your map as you move to determine if some of your POIs need to be notified on your screen. I only ask for radar warnings when I casually use my XL-S and never have any stuttering or slow route recalcs. I only request other POI notifications when needing them (restaurants, gas stations etc).

I have the same stutering problem with my XLS, no matter what I do; full battery, 150X memory card, latest updates, reinstall, all POIs turned off, etc., etc.. TT can deny it all they want, but......

THERE IS A BASIC DESIGN FLAW WITH THE XLS!

I have the same stutering problem with my XLS, no matter what I do; full battery, 150X memory card, latest updates, reinstall, all POIs turned off, etc., etc.. TT can deny it all they want, but......

THERE IS A BASIC DESIGN FLAW WITH THE XLS!

Did you bother to read my post above (#6)? Did you check how many POIs are notified on the map on your XL-S? Too many POI notifications slow down operations as you give your cpu too much work to do as it also needs to do tts, move the map to your position, check the routing vs your position etc.

Did you bother to read my post above (#6)? Did you check how many POIs are notified on the map on your XL-S? Too many POI notifications slow down operations as you give your cpu too much work to do as it also needs to do tts, move the map to your position, check the routing vs your position etc.

Been there..........done that and yes, I bothered to read your post; no POIs are notified, no safety preferences are selected. About the only other thing to do is get ride of the computer voice, but then what's the point of buying a TTS unit??

You know, there are memory cards and there are memory cards. Despite yours being a high speed, I wonder whether it's possible for you to switch it out for another sd card and see if the issue of stuttering remains.

Another aspect that needs checking, particularly when it involves SD cards and even more so when rather large files are manipulated when linked to the TT with the USB cable: file integrity. File integrity can be verified by doing a ?chkdsk? on the unit. When I use my SD card with the card reader, I seldom have any problem but any large file manipulation involving the SD card when connected with the USB cable can spell trouble. Quickfix data would usually go fine but MapShare updates would not. The use of a fast SD card with the old USB standard of ONE models often means you may end up with a corrupted FAT table that needs to be checked regularly. I have yet to have problems when connected with the card reader and is the reason I always use the card reader whenever I have files that need updating thru Home or otherwise.

For details involving my experience with my SD card, see my report here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7336

I have tried several different memory cards from different vendors, done the 'check disk' thing, reset using a paper clip, reset by holding down the power button, run the clear flash memory program, changed computer voices and a few other things I can't remember right now; none of these made any difference. The strange thing is that, initially, the voice works correctly, but then the stuttering gets worse with time during a long trip. I know that some users have reported no problems, but many users have the same problem I am encountering. I think that there is something in the design of the XLS that is marginal, hence some units function properly while others do not.

I have tried several different memory cards from different vendors, done the 'check disk' thing, reset using a paper clip, reset by holding down the power button, run the clear flash memory program, changed computer voices and a few other things I can't remember right now; none of these made any difference. The strange thing is that, initially, the voice works correctly, but then the stuttering gets worse with time during a long trip. I know that some users have reported no problems, but many users have the same problem I am encountering. I think that there is something in the design of the XLS that is marginal, hence some units function properly while others do not.

It may not be of relevance, but when it starts to stutter, try checking the amount of free RAM available. Check by tapping the grey version number, then you will see the amount of free ram (same screen where you see your map version number.) Mine is always at around 3 MB and I only have the XL model.

Do you have 3rd party software installed and working such as trip logging? Is the card in use larger than 4GB?

My XLS shows 19.6MB free RAM here at home under static conditions. I will check it underway to see if it changes.

I don't have any third party software installed.

My XLS shows 19.6MB free RAM here at home under static conditions. I will check it underway to see if it changes.

I don't have any third party software installed.

WOW! I have never seen my XL have more than 3.9 MB free. My device only has 32 MB of ram though. How much does the XLS have?

Ask a Question