Computer voice recites wrong street names

I've used my 130s pretty extensively since deleting the "cphonmlh.dat" file last week

I am going to try that fix tommorow and see if it works. I also sent TomTom an email. I have another week for my 14 day return.

I have found out if I reset the TomTom it says the correct name until I turn if off again. Then I have to reset it again for correct speech. (vicious circle)

My question is how did someone figure out that that file was a problem. Did they take out 1 file at a time until something worked. Inside information.

I understand if is a 40MB file. Will that give 40MB more room for my POI's?

I just got this from TomTom

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding your computer voices providing incorrect names. It is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

We have added a corrected map into your account that will resolve the issue you are having with your computer voices. Please, connect back to TomTom HOME and this map will be offered automatically as an update for your device. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Patrick

Last edited:
Finally A Fix From TomTom!!

Well finally a fix from TomTom.

I received a reply that a new version of the map v720 was in my account. The version there was 720.1843, I previously had 720.1802. I deleted my map from the 130S and ran TomTom Home. After about 30 minutes I restarted my TomTom and lo and behold proper names!!!

I did the temp fix of renaming cphonmlh.dat but that caused other problems such as Dr to be pronounced doctor instead of drive and w to be pronounced w and not west. But this new 720.1843 map has fixed all these problems. It looks like they have fixed whatever was wrong with cphonmlh.dat as that is included in the new map.

So if anyone is still having mispronounced streets make sure you have v720.1843 of the USA and Canada maps. If not make a support ticket or call TomTom support and ask them for this version of map.

That has to be about 4 weeks since the problem was first reported? Yikes.

they could've just ignored it. a couple weeks doesn't sound so crazy to me - once they found out about the problem, they listened and fixed the problem, and got the fix out to consumers.. sounds like good service to me.

they could've just ignored it. a couple weeks doesn't sound so crazy to me - once they found out about the problem, they listened and fixed the problem, and got the fix out to consumers.. sounds like good service to me.

TTS is a major advertised feature of many TT models. I dont see how they could have ignored it.

And it wasnt a couple of weeks. This thread began on July 1...6 weeks ago.

After several promises that TT would get back to me with an email or phone call re the status of this problem it is today August 14 that I got an official email from tech support with the solution. Of course I am glad it is fixed I am just surprised that it took as long.

Email from TomTom

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding the computer voices. My name is Sierra and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

Currently we show that We placed a new map into your account on the 12th of August, that will correct the errors with the computer voices. The file that you are inquiring about is connected to the original map installed to the TomTom. In order to install the new corrected map you will need to first remove the original maps from the TomTom. In order to do so please visit TomTom HOME and select to Remove items. Once the older map is removed the unit will have sufficient space for installing the new map.

With Best Regards,

Sierra
TomTom Customer Support

So should I change cphonmlh.xxx back to cphonmlh.dat and install the new map. Or should I just leave the map as it is?

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding the computer voices. My name is Sierra and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

Currently we show that We placed a new map into your account on the 12th of August, that will correct the errors with the computer voices. The file that you are inquiring about is connected to the original map installed to the TomTom. In order to install the new corrected map you will need to first remove the original maps from the TomTom. In order to do so please visit TomTom HOME and select to Remove items. Once the older map is removed the unit will have sufficient space for installing the new map.

With Best Regards,

Sierra
TomTom Customer Support

So should I change cphonmlh.xxx back to cphonmlh.dat and install the new map. Or should I just leave the map as it is?

Here is what I did to get the map to download and install.
Backup the folder 'USA_and_Canada' by using Windows Explorer. Then delete the folder 'USA_and_Canada' from the TomTom.

Start TomTom HOME and you should see the new map as a new update since you no longer have any maps. Start the update, should take about 15-30 minutes depending on your internet connection. You will then have to unplug your TomTom to restart it and load the new maps.

Now if you had any favorites and/or POIs you created or downloaded you will have to copy them from your old 'USA_and_Canada' folder you backed up, to the new 'USA_and_Canada' folder on the TomTom. The favorites are kept in the 'MapSettings.cfg' file and the POIs are the files ending in '.ov2', make sure to copy over the corresponding '.bmp' file too. Only copy over POIs you created or downloaded, do not overwrite the default POIs created by TomTom as they would be more up-to-date.

Hope this helps.

Thanks henry865

Here is what I did to get the map to download and install.
Backup the folder 'USA_and_Canada' by using Windows Explorer. Then delete the folder 'USA_and_Canada' from the TomTom.

Start TomTom HOME and you should see the new map as a new update since you no longer have any maps. Start the update, should take about 15-30 minutes depending on your internet connection. You will then have to unplug your TomTom to restart it and load the new maps.

Now if you had any favorites and/or POIs you created or downloaded you will have to copy them from your old 'USA_and_Canada' folder you backed up, to the new 'USA_and_Canada' folder on the TomTom. The favorites are kept in the 'MapSettings.cfg' file and the POIs are the files ending in '.ov2', make sure to copy over the corresponding '.bmp' file too. Only copy over POIs you created or downloaded, do not overwrite the default POIs created by TomTom as they would be more up-to-date.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this explanation. Works perfectly! I too was using the older 720 map and filed a support ticket with TomTom for the 720.1843 version, They replied back that it was in my account, but Home could not access it. Followed these direction .... viola ... worked like a charm. Just ran some route demos and all the street extensions sound correct.

Thanks!

Thank you for this explanation. Works perfectly! I too was using the older 720 map and filed a support ticket with TomTom for the 720.1843 version, They replied back that it was in my account, but Home could not access it. Followed these direction .... viola ... worked like a charm. Just ran some route demos and all the street extensions sound correct.

Thanks!

You are very welcome, glad I could help. I had the same problem, the update did not show up in HOME until I deleted the USA_and_Canada folder on the TomTom. I am just glad the speech problem is fixed.

Ask a Question