Computer voice recites wrong street names

I have the same issue the the 330S that I was thinking about returning due to this issue before the 14 day return policy expires. I called TT several times this week and was not able to get the issue resolved and when I mentioned that I would be returning my TT they noted my complainted and offered me the next version that replaces map 7.20 for free when is comes out. I asked the lady while on the phone to screen cap me the documented notes for the next new free map and she emailed be the screen cap notes right away. I also received an email from a supervisior backing up that next new map for free.

So what's the chance that I would actually get the next new map for free or just be blown off.

pickles,

Have you tried the suggest fix? ... by deleting (or renaming the file) "cphonmlh.dat" from your maps folder.

This has worked for several others and might just work for you. If you're thinking of returning the unit anyway, it sure wouldn't hurt to try. Then if it works, you've got a working unit AND a promise of the next map update.

I would just rename the file to say, 'cphonmlh.XXX'. That way it's there and if the TomTom doesn't work, you can rename it back with the .dat extender.

See this thread and real post #9

Voice directions
(messed up)
http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=10278

pickles,

Have you tried the suggest fix? ... by deleting (or renaming the file) "cphonmlh.dat" from your maps folder.

Yes this file deletion did seem to get the tts back to normal but I was concerned that the deletion of an almost 40 meg file must have some (subtle/overt) repercussions? :confused:

I have the same issue the the 330S that I was thinking about returning due to this issue before the 14 day return policy expires.

I called TT yesterday...a week after I first called in re this issue; never was I contacted in that time as promised. So yesterday I insisted to be escalated which I was but it was clear that although TT is aware of the problem no definitive official solution is yet available.

There is so much about TT 330S that appealed to me i.e. layout, features and especially Map Share.

But I did return my 330S today and will keep for now a less expensive Magellan 4250. The return policy for this unit from Costco is very generous so I have time to see what happens. Over the next month I plan to keep one eye on this forum. Maybe I can ask after the next map updates if my currently missing addresses are now included.

Last edited:
I called TT yesterday...a week after I first called in re this issue; never was I contacted in that time as promised. I insisted to be escalated which I was but it was clear that although TT is aware of the problem no definitive official solution is yet available.

There is so much about TT 330S that appealed to me i.e. layout, features and especially Map Share.

But I did return my 330S today and will keep for now a less expensive Magellan 4250. The return policy for this unit from Costco is very generous so I have time to see what happens. Over the next month I plan to keep one eye on this forum. Maybe I can ask after the next map updates if my currently missing addresses are now included.
So far my 130s is working normally, despite the deletion of the aforementioned file. TT customer service told me that it was a map problem and that if I could produce a copy of my purchase receipt and the incident number of when I reported the problem, I should be eligible for a map upgrade when it becomes available. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

I rename the file to .old and it seems to fix the problem with 7.20. I will not let TomTom know of the fix as I am keeping the documents so I can still get the replacement to 7.20 for free. Technically we should not be fixing the issues, TomTom should be providing the fixes.

Hi, I'm new here.
Looked around and couldn't find this issue:
Got a 130S and use the Samantha computer voice. The street names on the map are correct. Samantha computer voice reads wrong and weird sounding names. Sometimes, she recites two names, one I recognize and the other I don't. Does anybody know what's going on?

RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX MY TOM TOM XL-1 Mispronounced every street, city, and attraction INCORRECTLY. I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS PRODUCT, AND THEY WILL NOT REFUND MY MONEY BECAUSE THEIR REFUND POLICY IS ONLY GOOD FOR 14 DAYS, AND I HAVE OWNED MY GPS FOR 16 DAYS !!! I AM, LIKE YOU AND THOUSANDS OF OTHER CUSTOMERS, STUCK WITH THIS PIECE OF ****. IT ALSO FAILED ON ME 3 TIMES IN A ROW ON 3 DIFFERENT BUSINESS TRIPS, BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT CHARGE FROM MY VEHICLES' 12-VOLT SYSTEM. TOM TOM DETERMINED THAT I NEED A NEW VEHICLE CHARGER, AND WILL NOT REFUND MY MONEY. I WILL NOT EVER RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO ANY LIVING SOUL. WHEN A COMPANY MAKES A PRODUCT, AND RECEIVES MONEY FOR THAT PRODUCT, IT SHOULD BE AS CLOSE TO A PERFECT PRODUCT AS POSSIBLE...TOM TOM IS PRODUCING FOR SALE AN INFERIOR PRODUCT THAT THEY WANT YOU TO CORRECT, NOT THEM....AND NO REFUNDS AFTER 2 WEEKS !!!!!!! SIGN ME RIPPED OFF AND P****D OFF !!!!!!

Essentially yes, but not surprising. In any software company, the support engineers are not the same people that fix the bugs. Support is charged with keeping the customer happy. A bug gets filed in a bug tracking database, and some programmer has to be pulled off of something else and assigned the task of fixing the bug. Meanwhile support has to do a little dance and feign expertise because customers don't like being told they'll have to wait; they want support to at least attempt to fix it. Thus the little hoops. ...and admittedly, the procedures they're suggesting do often fix the random problems that pop up now and then.

I'm not being critical, it's just a reality of the industry, and TomTom is not exempt here. :)

As for how quickly the bug will get fixed, it depends on how they are internally organized and how bugs are prioritized. Not to put too fine a point on it, but compared to other product lines, the ONE series has relatively low margins for TomTom. If they prioritize based on per-unit profitability, it's not going to be a high priority fix. ...but the ONE probably has a larger customer base as a result, so a fix would affect more of their customers, possibly making it a higher priority. ...but more often, software groups that follow business-driven prioritization favor the former case. The highest priority is likely to be TomTom's fleet customers.

Here's a thought....I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS PIECE OF CRAP TO ANYONE WANTING TO BUY A GPS....PERIOD....

Well TomTom support emailed me and said that they had a new map for me in my TomTom account which was supposed to fix the TTS problem.

I installed it but the problem still exists. I emailed them back saying the problem has not been fixed. The map is still v720 that was in my account. I suspect they may have changed some files, may, but it hasn't been fixed.

I'll post what they say.

Well TomTom support emailed me and said that they had a new map for me in my TomTom account which was supposed to fix the TTS problem.

I installed it but the problem still exists.

Yikes. It has been about 3 weeks since the problem was first reported.

Last edited:
Well TomTom competely removed my account and started over. They said the map update was removed and a new one added to the my redone account. Now here is the thing, I am not sure if this was actually the fix as this time I did the install with the laptop connected by cat5 directly to the router instead of doing the past installs by wireless connection.

So could the corruption with past install be how I was connected to the internet or having my account redo with a fresh map.

Well what ever it was the 7.20 map is working flawless now.

So could the corruption with past install be how I was connected to the internet or having my account redo with a fresh map.

That isnt likely to explain the rest of us with the same symptoms. If you are now fixed then I would imagine TT has (slightly) changed the 720 file.

I did the update with my TomTom hooked up to my desktop which is connected directly with my router and I still had the speech problem. I am hoping that they did not put the fixed map in my account and that's all it was.

We shall see.

I just tried this fix on my 130S and it is now pronouncing the street names correctly, but street directions are pronounced as letters...

Example:
"West (W) Broadway Blvd" is pronounced "W Broadway Boulevard"

Well TomTom competely removed my account and started over. They said the map update was removed and a new one added to the my redone account. Now here is the thing, I am not sure if this was actually the fix as this time I did the install with the laptop connected by cat5 directly to the router instead of doing the past installs by wireless connection.

Well what ever it was the 7.20 map is working flawless now.

What Navcore are you running? 8.010? I again tried the update with the original software that came on the 130S and I still have this TTS problem. My Navcore is 8.010 after the updating but I noticed it happened even when the Navcore was 7.15. My trouble ticket now reads "research" which hopefully means they are now looking for a solution.

I went to TT home and updated my map to 720.1802 -- It indicated that I was up-to-date, I installed the map anyway. The so-called errant file: cphonmlh.dat was not included in this new map folder.

I tested it today and the voice is pronouncing all names correctly!! Horray!!

Question: has TT revised map 720 to 720.1802 and deleted/fixed the problem with this new version of the map?? Or is it the same version as before?:confused:

TomTom Home knows about the 7.20 maps!

Yesterday (Aug 1) I logged onto TomTom Home, used my "Use Latest Map Guarantee", and it told me there was an update; the v720.1843 USA_and_Canada. I downloaded it and (after backing up) installed it. So far the TTS street names are working for at least the 4 streets around my house. I'll be testing it more tomorrow (Tropical Storm Eduardo has me home-bound for the moment.).

NOTE: I have a One 130-S, with only 1 GB of storage. I had to delete some files, because the new maps are larger.

Thank YOU sooooo much!!!! I have the tt720 and it was mispronouncing street names. San Diego was pronounced SunDaga, etc. This also started happening since I updated the maps. I use the computer voice Susan and now she can pronounce the words again. However, the file name on my TT Go 720 was called cphoneme.dat I took a chance and changed the .dat to .XXX and it worked. I have spent 2 days on tech support with tomtom and they couldn't solve it. I was determined. This is a great forum.

Ask a Question