Compass is wrong

I updated my tom tom XL-s to the new 8 software but this morning while driving to work I noticed that I was heading west but my tom tom compass was pointing east? anyone having any issues? would anyone know how to resolve it?

I updated my tom tom XL-s to the new 8 software but this morning while driving to work I noticed that I was heading west but my tom tom compass was pointing east? anyone having any issues? would anyone know how to resolve it?

It's a bug, I've noticed it also. The new compass is so small I have to squint to see it anyway so I just removed it. You can set up the compass heading to appear on the status bar also which is how I resolved it.

compass

It's a bug, I've noticed it also. The new compass is so small I have to squint to see it anyway so I just removed it. You can set up the compass heading to appear on the status bar also which is how I resolved it.

How would I go about setting the compass heading on the status bar?

How would I go about setting the compass heading on the status bar?

With Navcore 8 firmware, the compass *only* points north with no way of adjusting it as one could with N7 firmware. TT is well aware that many users are displeased with this reduced functionality.

Whether they do anything about it is another matter. :(

wrong way compass

I bought a TomTom One XLS a few days ago. One feature I wanted in a GPS is a compass. The compass worked fine until I updated to version 8.?. Now the compass points west when traveling east and points east when traveling west. Compass points correctly to north and south. The direction reading on the status bar is always correct. Thinking about taking my unit back to store and getting a refund or exchange since I now consider the unit to be defective.

Sigh.........

The compass ONLY POINTS NORTH in Navcore 8. Visualize laying your unit flat (horizontal) rather than its usual vertical position and it should appear easier to grasp that, indeed, it is only pointing north.

Unfortunately, returning the unit because of the 'defect' won't solve anything. Only rolling back your firmware to Navcore 7 will get the functionality back to the way it was.

Many of us hope a new firmware update will address the issue as TT has gotten many calls about this but who knows whether the code will get rolled back.

North!! Of course!!

The compass does always point North. Why didn't I think of that? That explains why I thought East and West were reversed on the compass. I think showing a N,E,S,W direction indicator on the compass would be a nice feature.

Anyway, I think the XL S is a great GPS.

It doesn't really matter if a real compass always points North. None of this explains why TT decided to screw up the compass. Remember, we used to be able to customize it, and one of the options was for it to always point North. If you wanted it that way, then fine, select it. But nooooooooooo, TomTom forces us ALL to use it pointing North with no way to customize it.

It's just weird because I have the option to change the compass settings, but none of the settings do anything. The compass remains pointing North. Do you think TomTom would do this on purpose? Or does it seem like a bug? (I really don't know which is why i'm asking)

I can't think of any reason why TomTom would leave the compass options there if they aren't going to do squat.

It's fun to still see people saying the compass is pointing wrong direction :)
Anyway, dhn has said it all (i bet a year from now, s/he still "sigh....." :D)

Back to the NavCore 8 compass (as up today)
+ Always point North.
+ You cannot change the way it is since there is no option.
+ You can only be able enable or disable it.
+ Compass icon is much smaller (compared to its NavCore 7 or Quick Menu icon on GO920) to make room for solid "mute volume" icon and "low battery" flashing icon.

It doesn't really matter if a real compass always points North. None of this explains why TT decided to screw up the compass. Remember, we used to be able to customize it, and one of the options was for it to always point North. If you wanted it that way, then fine, select it. But nooooooooooo, TomTom forces us ALL to use it pointing North with no way to customize it.
This whole issue is particularly frustrating, since TT has acknowledged the "problem," but appears in no hurry to correct it. And as you say, some units still have the now-useless "Compass Preferences." :mad:

It's fun to still see people saying the compass is pointing wrong direction :)
Anyway, dhn has said it all (i bet a year from now, s/he still "sigh....." :D)

Back to the NavCore 8 compass (as up today)
+ Always point North.
+ You cannot change the way it is since there is no option.
+ You can only be able enable or disable it.
+ Compass icon is much smaller (compared to its NavCore 7 or Quick Menu icon on GO920) to make room for solid "mute volume" icon and "low battery" flashing icon.

I do have the option to change the preferences of the compass, but every selection does the same thing. Man, who am I to complain? I never use the compass anyway lol.

I do have the option to change the preferences of the compass, but every selection does the same thing. Man, who am I to complain? I never use the compass anyway lol.

You DO have the option???
What NavCore version your currently have???
AFAIK, with navcore8, there is ONLY option to turn on (enable) or turn off (disable), burying under custom status bar.

You DO have the option???
What NavCore version your currently have???
AFAIK, with navcore8, there is ONLY option to turn on (enable) or turn off (disable), burying under custom status bar.

Yes, with NavCore 8 I have 4 options with the compass. The same options that have always been available. Setting any of the options makes no difference though, so I just turn it off since it's useless now (for me at least)

I do use the one in the status bar though, that shows your direction and heading. I just miss the old "real" looking compass.

Last edited:
I too was used to seeing my heading on the bigger Compass, but since the functionality and size changed between the NavCore versions, I just modified my Status Bar settings from the defaults, to show the following:

NextNavigationCorrection+Distance | .CurrentSpeed. | .....CurrentTime..... | SatellitesInView
NextNavigationCorrection+Distance | CurrentHeading | DistanceToDestination | SatellitesInView
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.......................................NextStreetName.......................................

I trust the GPS-derived speed more than my mass-produced speedometer, so it had to remain in a readable size on the screen. Destination Time could be off by unreal amounts, so it wasn't doing anything besides taking up space... plus, where I drive, Miles~=Minutes UNLESS you're thrown on a Detour because one of the main highways is blocked--THEN the compass heading is nice to have onscreen so you have some idea where you're being led.

I too was used to seeing my heading on the bigger Compass, but since the functionality and size changed between the NavCore versions, I just modified my Status Bar settings from the defaults, to show the following:

NextNavigationCorrection+Distance | .CurrentSpeed. | .....CurrentTime..... | SatellitesInView
NextNavigationCorrection+Distance | CurrentHeading | DistanceToDestination | SatellitesInView
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.......................................NextStreetName.......................................

I trust the GPS-derived speed more than my mass-produced speedometer, so it had to remain in a readable size on the screen. Destination Time could be off by unreal amounts, so it wasn't doing anything besides taking up space... plus, where I drive, Miles~=Minutes UNLESS you're thrown on a Detour because one of the main highways is blocked--THEN the compass heading is nice to have onscreen so you have some idea where you're being led.

I've always heard that a car's speedometer and tachometer are ALWAYS off by a bit. There is a 3 MPH difference between my car and TomTom. I decided to put my Magellan Maestro next to my TomTom and drive around for a bit to compare. Well, the Magellen and TomTom had EXACT matching speeds! I'm not joking when I mean EXACT. It was dead on! They would even update at the same time as well. It's either that the GPSes are more accurate than my car, or both GPSes are equally wrong. I just couldn't believe how dead on both devices were.

There are long threads here and on other forums about which is precise, a GPS unit or the speedometer on the car.

Trust the GPS device.

I've always heard that a car's speedometer and tachometer are ALWAYS off by a bit. There is a 3 MPH difference between my car and TomTom. I decided to put my Magellan Maestro next to my TomTom and drive around for a bit to compare. Well, the Magellen and TomTom had EXACT matching speeds! I'm not joking when I mean EXACT. It was dead on! They would even update at the same time as well. It's either that the GPSes are more accurate than my car, or both GPSes are equally wrong. I just couldn't believe how dead on both devices were.

The vehicle's speedometer is tied w/ the rotation of the tires.
The speed indicated will not be accurate depending on the condition
of the tires ( over inflated or under inflated ) or if you changed your tires
to a different size rather than the original.

GPS is more accurate on the speed.

Ask a Question