Compass Dierction Display

Any idea why that would have happened. I do a lot of backroad/forestry type road driving and use the compass direction with maps to assist me. The compass feature was a very real benefit for me.A hand held compass requires me to take my eyes off the road or having to stop to read it.

Tomtom has removed it from all models with the Navcore 9X upgrade.

Not entirely true....
It's not there at all on any of the new NAV3 models, but there IS a compass on all my v9 TomToms, although it's a pathetic thing compared to the original compass. Very small and only points north (no "point towards destination" option)

It's there in Status Bar Preferences, both on my GO's and on an XL., all running v9.430

Any idea why that would have happened.

TomTom currently have a very strange policy of deciding what features they think we want or don't want.
We don't know who they DO ask, but it certainly doesn't seem to be any of the enthusiastic owners of older models who want to see those features IMPROVED on not taken away.

All I can suggest is that you contact the company and register your disappointment. But I think they will ignore you, just like they have ignored all the other people who have asked for it back on the various user forums (including their own).

Last edited:
Yes, despite complaints, they remain silent and I have not heard of a single person who could ever get a reasonable response from anyone at TT. The concept of navigation without a compass is absurd. The full compass was there in Nav7, mostly crippled in 8, and now it's completely gone in 9.
I suggest everyone disable the option that allows TT to collect usage data. If enough people do it, someone there will begin to listen.

Tomtom has removed it from all models with the Navcore 9X upgrade.

Not entirely true....
It's not there at all on any of the new NAV3 models, but there IS a compass on all my v9 TomToms, although it's a pathetic thing compared to the original compass. Very samall and only point north (no "point towards destination" option)

It's there in Status Bar Preferences, both on my GO's and on an XL., all running v9.430

Any idea why that would have happened.

TomTom currently have a very strange policy of deciding what features they think we want or don't want.
We don't know who they DO ask, but it certainly doesn't seem to be any of the enthusiastic owners of older models who want to see those features IMPROVED on not taken away.

All I can suggest is that you contact the company and register your disappointment. But I think they will ignore you, just like they have ignored all the other people who have asked for it back on the various user forums (including their own).

I have a better solution to getting someone in TomTom to listen or at least give us a reasonable explanation - I bought a new 4x4 and will be equipping it with a new GPS but I will not even look at TomTom products. Plus I tell everyone who I talk GPS with to avoid TomTom based on lack of customer relations.:lol:

The full compass was there in Nav7, mostly crippled in 8, and now it's completely gone in 9.

As I said above, there *IS* a compass on v9. It's not very good, but it's plain wrong to say there isn't one.
TomTom are unlikely to take our complaints seriously if we don't describe the situation correctly or expalin what we would like back.

Compass direction display removed

I have no idea why TT removed the compass direction from my 730. I am hoping there will be a (3rd party?) software tweak that will reinstate the vehicle's direction which is an important feature of any GPS unit. I understand TT is generally unresponsive to customer opinions, preferences, and inquiries. Garmin responded immediately to my email.

What do you mean by "compass direction" and "vehicle's direction"?

The small compass needle available in v9 software always points north, like a real compass would.

Thanks.

I suppose you could say the car icon always points in the vehicle direction! :)

But I do sometimes miss the "point to the destination" option we used to have.
What did Garmin say? Do any of their models have what you're after?

I have a better solution to getting someone in TomTom to listen or at least give us a reasonable explanation - I bought a new 4x4 and will be equipping it with a new GPS but I will not even look at TomTom products. Plus I tell everyone who I talk GPS with to avoid TomTom based on lack of customer relations.:lol:
There's a 3rd party application for the older TomTom units (the ones that use TomTom Home as an interface, like your XL) that blows the doors off of any standard GPS for off road purposes. Have a look here:

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/offroad.php?lang=uk

Darned shame these newer units can't have apps like this added.

Ask a Question