Compare 510, 720, 910

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here at tomtom forums, but I was wondering how you all felt about your tomtom. Specifically, I've been researching and have found decent prices for refurbed 510, 910 and 720, with manufacturer warrantees. Which do you feel is most useful, and why? It's hard to find side by side comparisons for all fo these, prob because they were released at different times. I want traffic, I want to use the bluetooth on my phone, but that could be to receive traffic updates. I need the larger screen cause the smaller ones are no bigger than my PDA, which I need glasses to read. Is there anything that's real necessary but has to be bought as an add-on?

Thanks for your comments!

The x10 are heavy, have problems with mount, maps are obsolete. I vote for the 720, or if can spend a bit more, go for the 730.

The 910 is the way to go. It has a 20 GB hard drive so you do not have to worry about running out of room for maps or anything. I have not had a problem with mounts and it is not heavy. The maps are as good/bad as any of them. Lots of details and great for routes.

A failed hard drive is hard to fix.

That is why I cannot stress enough to keep the 910 backed up! Glad I did when my first unit dropped down a flight of stairs onto the concrete floor. I must say it is a durable unit as it fired back up but was cracked nearly in half.

I just got a refurb from TigerDirect - good deal on the unit. However, I was surprised that the screen is not any brighter then my 910. Garmin has some very bright screens, and was hoping TT would have improved theirs. I have both set to 100% in the day mode, and identical color schemes active, and the 720 is actually a tad less bright.

One other strange aspect on the 720. With the Germana color scheme loaded, it does not show the red background color in the urban areas, while the 910 does. Tried a number of variations of this scheme, and same result?

I got the 720 as a gift, but right now I do not see anything really improved that much on the 20 series to make upgrading mine worthwhile. This is especially true with respect to the screen (I assume the 920-930 are trhe same). It is a tad duller at 100% daytime brightness then the 501/910's. Very strange from both a marketing and technical viewpoint, as Garmin has some very bright screens. With plenty of opportunity to improve their screens, TomTom chose to not do so.

To anyone trying to use the ,20-,30's on their motorcycles (rather then the riders) - forget it if you are in a sunny region. The slight difference between my 910 and a 720 in the car has totally wiped its usefulness on a bike in the sun. I am going to stay with the 910 until TomTom does something to increase the brightness of the screen.

Last edited:

Ask a Question