clearing space from 930 - to reinstall later

I just bought a new map for my 930. But when I try to install it, tomtom Home tells me that my unit doesn't have enough space to install. So it asks that I make space before it installs.

Here's my problem. I don't mind clearing other maps to make room for the new one, but I obsiouly want to be able to reinstall them later. How does one do that? Using tomtom home (v2.7), when managing the unit, I have the option of keeping a copy of whatever map I clear from the unit, on the computer. That's all fine, but how will I be able to reinstall that map? Tomtom home doesn't seem to give me an option to install from the computer. If I don't have enough room to install all my maps, I don't mind having to keep switching the map set on the unit, keeping only the ones I need at any given moment, but to do so, I need to have the hability to install from the copies I made on the computer.

What am I missing? :confused:

Very strange that it is saying not enough space. Are you trying to install the European update map or the North American one?

Both fit into the 4 gigs of internal storage originally.

Anyway, this is what I'd do:

Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents. Don't use Home to do it.

Then get yourself a 4 gig sdhc card and use Explorer to copy the North America map to it. Your unit will see both maps on internal and on a sd card. (You can actually use a 32 gig sdhc card but that's overkill I would think)

So.....keep the Western Europe on internal Use Explorer to move the NA map folder to the sdhc card. Once you are sure the map folder is on the card, delete from internal.

Insert the card into the unit, connect to Home. It'll ask whether you want to use internal memory or the sd card.

Select internal and then Update my Unit.

Next, Home's menu of Device-->Switch device and select the sd card.

Then do the update process again.

Then, make an Explorer backup of the sdhc card and a separate Explorer backup of internal.

Very strange that it is saying not enough space. Are you trying to install the European update map or the North American one?

Both fit into the 4 gigs of internal storage originally.

Anyway, this is what I'd do:

Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents. Don't use Home to do it.

Then get yourself a 4 gig sdhc card and use Explorer to copy the North America map to it. Your unit will see both maps on internal and on a sd card. (You can actually use a 32 gig sdhc card but that's overkill I would think)

So.....keep the Western Europe on internal Use Explorer to move the NA map folder to the sdhc card. Once you are sure the map folder is on the card, delete from internal.

Insert the card into the unit, connect to Home. It'll ask whether you want to use internal memory or the sd card.

Select internal and then Update my Unit.

Next, Home's menu of Device-->Switch device and select the sd card.

Then do the update process again.

Then, make an Explorer backup of the sdhc card and a separate Explorer backup of internal.
Thanks DHN.

Actually, I'm trying to install another map altogether.

What I understand from your reply, is that I should start using the "external" memory for my expansion needs. That might indeed help me for this installation. But the goal of my question was more regarding the ability to reinstall back anything I would have offloaded from the unit in situations where I have more stuff than room on the unit. That way, I can keep on switching the content of the unit depending on my immediate need: I offload the European map when I'm in NA, and offload the NA map and reinstall the European map when I am in Europe. I was fearful of offloading files from the unit using TomTom Home because it doesn’t seem to give me the ability to reinstall files from saved copy on the computer. Should I understand from your reply that I simply have to move files from/to the Unit to/from the host computer via Windows Explorer - and not TomTom home?

Another thing: I believe my unit doesn't support SDHC cards, only regular SD. So far, I have only used the SD memory to hold music files, never other data files. Can I do what you suggest on regular SD's?

Thanks again.

Your device does indeed support SDHC and can use cards up to a capacity of 32GB. Get a good quality card (class 6 or better) and avoid the cheap cards from e-bay, as you are using it for music and want to add maps I would consider an 8GB capacity card.

As for moving folders/ maps from the device use Windows Explorer as its far more predictable, home tends to make a mess of installing things when there is a memory card and internal storage available to it. - Mike

Ask a Question