Clearing Route Automatically When Arriving At The Destination?

I could have sworn I remembered seeing this option somewhere?

Am I just hallucinating or can someone tell me how to turn this feature on...

Thanks!

Last edited:
I also like to know, can someone help?

This works sometimes. Navigate to-->Recent Destination. Pick the destination you want removed. Now then, as soon as you see the 'planning the route' appear on the screen, hit the 'cancel' button. You will find the destination has been deleted.

As I said, it works sometimes.

Thanks dhn, there used to be an option to do this though. Maybe they took that option away with the recent update?

Anybody else know?

What you want is the 'Clear Route' function. (But it's not automatic, you have to press it.)

If you don't see it, go into Preferences and select 'Show all menu options' (or something to that effect).

Personally, I created a custom menu with this function on the 1st screen.

What you want is the 'Clear Route' function. (But it's not automatic, you have to press it.)

If you don't see it, go into Preferences and select 'Show all menu options' (or something to that effect).

Personally, I created a custom menu with this function on the 1st screen.

Yeah, I know that one as well and I am using it but there was a function as I am describing as well.

I think I will have to contact TomTom and ask them.

Yeah, I know that one as well and I am using it but there was a function as I am describing as well.

I think I will have to contact TomTom and ask them.

Never heard of this.

DHN,

You can use any destination and if you hit cancel before calcs complete all routes are erased...and it works everytime. I use it every day.

Never heard of this.

DHN,

You can use any destination and if you hit cancel before calcs complete all routes are erased...and it works everytime. I use it every day.

Yeah, but somebody said he got it to work for only ONE recent destination while leaving the others intact.

I thought the question was how to make the GPS stop navigating automaticly once you reached your destination. I have to manualy enter the menu find the "clear route" to stop if from continuing trying to take me back to my original destination when I'm leaving. My older Garmin stops navigating once the destination has been reached. I wish the 920 did too.

I'm just curiouls why someone would want to do this?

Just now, I was sitting at my desk trying to talk to TomTom support about the remote control issue I mentioned on another thread. As the unit caught and lost the GPS signal, it kept chattering away, "In 50 yards, you have reached your destination." "Turn right. Then make a U-turn." Arghhh... where is that stupid clear function!

Another reason: We have an MP3 player playing lullabies continuously in my daughter's room. When we have a weekend away, I set up the MP3 function on the GPS to help her sleep. Saves me having to pack an additional item. ...but if the thing is so busy chattering away about arriving at my destination, it's not going to be a peaceful experience.

Yes, I can clear it manually, but rather than hitting [Menu -> Next -> Next -> Clear Route -> yes I'm sure] I'd much rather that it clear the route on its own.

Last edited:
Don't have the unit in front of me but I wonder whether 'clear route' can be added to the 'quickmenu' icon to at least cut down on keystrokes, uh, finger touches.;)

Don't have the unit in front of me but I wonder whether 'clear route' can be added to the 'quickmenu' icon to at least cut down on keystrokes, uh, finger touches.;)

Not yet.

TT needs to enable this. They are taking too long with it!

Just now, I was sitting at my desk trying to talk to TomTom support about the remote control issue I mentioned on another thread. As the unit caught and lost the GPS signal, it kept chattering away, "In 50 yards, you have reached your destination." "Turn right. Then make a U-turn." Arghhh... where is that stupid clear function!

Another reason: We have an MP3 player playing lullabies continuously in her room. When we have a weekend away, I set up the MP3 function on the GPS to help her sleep. Saves me having to pack an additional item. ...but if the thing is so busy chattering away about arriving at my destination, it's not going to be a peaceful experience.

Yes, I can clear it manually, but rather than hitting [Menu -> Next -> Next -> Clear Route -> yes I'm sure] I'd much rather that it clear the route on its own.

Fastest way is to Nav to->recent destination (pick a far one)->hit cancel (while the calculation is occuring, ie the further the destin, the longer the calc)....this clears the route in less steps and is more natural.

I used TT MenuBuilder, as described elsewhere in the forums, and set up a custom menu with clear route as the second icon. I also deleted the "Are you sure" dialog, as described. 2 touches with the remote and the route is gone! Use it all the time.
Andy

I thought the question was how to make the GPS stop navigating automaticly once you reached your destination. I have to manualy enter the menu find the "clear route" to stop if from continuing trying to take me back to my original destination when I'm leaving. My older Garmin stops navigating once the destination has been reached. I wish the 920 did too.

I wish the same! I know that it is really no problem to 'clear route' and I can almost do it without taking my eyes off the road. Sometimes I forget though and it is annoying to be driving away from the destination I just drove to and have Tomtom trying to get me to turn around and go back to it. You'd think it would be obvious that once I reach my destination I don't want to go there anymore:rolleyes:

You'd think it would be obvious that once I reach my destination I don't want to go there anymore:rolleyes:

I noticed today that sometimes in the Itineraries menu it will automatically mark a destination as visited. That shows somewhere in the code there is an "arrived" event that can be triggered. Figuring out how to tap into that is the tricky part.

I spoke with Tomtom about this and they said they didn't think it was a problem for the clear route to be buried like this. I told them to think about it because of the safety issues. They politely told me tough sh!t.

I need to find that menu builder.

Ask a Question