Cheapest USA & Canada maps

The cheapest GENUINE TomTom maps I've found are those designed for PDAs. I have a GO 730 and just bought a TT sealed, boxed 'kit' with Navigator 6 and all the USA & Canada maps.

Most people will say they can't be used on a TT Go, One or XL etc. but they definitely can! Mine cost ?19.95. It's a touch tricky to install but you have the option of state-by-state maps to keep the file space lower, or the entire North America map. A basic sattelite view is also an option. As you have to install Navigator 6 it might be easier to creat a new User Account in WIndows and do it from there so it won't conflict with TT Home 2.7, or whatever you use for main updates etc. Get yourself a 2GB SD card and keep it seperate from your other maps if you like. You can install any map options through Navigator 6.

These maps will be at least four years old so they will contain errors in road layout etc, they also don't contain any of the IQ Routes data, ALG or reality view so perhaps they are not as cheap as they first appear - Mike

Thanks Mike, I realise that, but with the retail price for the "correct" maps being around ?80 - ?90 (I've even seen them up to ?100!) I'm prepared to live with it! I'm only making one trip to the USA later this year. Personally I think that frequent map updates of, say, more than one per year are overrated! They certainly are in the UK as we don't build that many roads! I'm in that business - working for the Highways Agency! Having said all that, it's a shame that TomTom maps for PDAs don't have free updates for the first year, or whatever. :(

Got to agree with you on that fact that the usefullness of frequent updates at signigicant cost. Still four years old is getting up there!

Where in the US are you visiting?

There has been some major changes to some major highways on the east coast within the last year. The LAST version map is outdated for driving I-95 through Maryland prior to Baltimore.

It would take a very keen eye to notice the changes made. I-95 split into I-895 and I-95, its been like that for years. The recent renovations the road looks the same approaching it but now the split is reverse the road that used to take you too I-895 takes you to I-95 and vice versa.

What I'm getting at is a map her from 3 months ago is totally useless. 4 years ago? The main road I live off wasnt even there 4 years ago. I'd just as soon use mapquest or google maps on a phone before I attempted using a 4 year old map on a TT device...

It sounds like a very good idea for where you live though if no new roads are being added and the current ones arent being updated and streamlined...

Ask a Question