Changing Start Up Screen - Gone Wrong

TomTom Model(s)
Go 550
Evening all

As I'm changing car later this week I thought I'd change from my Audi startup screen to a VW one. Found a one I quite liked on the TomTom Home site so went through the download and add procedure but something seems to have gone wrong somewhere so now when I switch the unit on all I get is a white screen.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

What device have you got and can you right click the image file on the PC you are trying to use as a splash screen then select properties, is it a bmp file and what pixel size is it as these are the usual issues with custom screen images that fail to work - Mike

A white screen often means that the startup screen you've designated in the root of the unit (not in any folder) is inappropriate for your model.

You don't mention what your unit is but, judging by the forum you've posted in, I'll assume you have a 4.3" screen. This means the splashw.bmp file is incorrect (or gone).

Do you have a backup of your unit's contents? (hopefully Explorer)

If so, and if indeed your screen is 4.3", then copy the splashw.bmp file from the backup into the root of your unit using Explorer.

If you don't have a backup, well, go here:
Splash screen generator for TomTom

and upload an image to the site. Select a 720 if you DO have the 4.3" screen or one of the choices on the first row if you only have a 3.5" screen. You can then download a splash.bmp if a smaller screen or a splashw.bmp if the 4.3" screen and put in the root of your unit.

Restart the unit and you should be good to go.

Your downloaded car icon should go in the art folder ... cars subfolder.

Thanks for the advice guys, my unit is a Go 550. I was trying to load to pic I wanted directly from the TomTom home application by clicking the Add button - it said transferring to internal memory. Some of the choices available on TomTom home appear to work and others don't, I tried adding my Audi one again and that was fine.

Anyway, I got there in the end by converting the pic to a jpeg then copying it into the picures folder on the TomTom itself. Then going through the start up preferences I could then select that picture and it now works.

:D

Ask a Question