Change battery in 700

Sorry if this has been asked before but I cannot make the forum 'search' facility work (Firefox, latest issue). Anyway, having been in use in hot weather since 2005 my 700 battery is not holding a good charge. I am an electronics engineer with experience of working on all kinds of the latest production kit so I would like to buy and replace the battery myself. Can anyone advise me of the battery type (or alternatives) and, ideally, any service notes on how to change the battery. Maybe there is also a lithium backup battery on the board that could be usefully changed at the same time? Many thanks.

Look for supermod mikealder to reply to your query. If anyone knows, it would be he.

If you don't see a response within 24 hours, pm him.

Never taken a Go-700 to bits (that must be a first!) but I do know there are a number of threads on fourums showing how to change the hard drive for a CF Memory Card, I will have a look for such a post later and provide a link as that shows you how to get in to the unit.
One of the moderators on yourtomtom.com did the CF card swap a few years ago as I recall - Mike

Never taken a Go-700 to bits (that must be a first!) but I do know there are a number of threads on fourums showing how to change the hard drive for a CF Memory Card, I will have a look for such a post later and provide a link as that shows you how to get in to the unit.
One of the moderators on yourtomtom.com did the CF card swap a few years ago as I recall - Mike

Thanks, Mike, that would be good. Swapping the hard drive for a card sounds like a good idea but presumably you'd need to update the (ROM) operating system? For the moment (touch wood) my HD seems OK it is just the battery that really needs to be changed. Five years is not a bad innings for a battery subjected to the extremes of temperature this has been subjected to....I am not unhappy. On the 700 is the LCD connected by a tail or a zebra strip? I lost one line ages ago which is no problem at all, but I don't want to pull it apart and find that the zebra strip is un-putbackable.

The guide I was thinking of can be found Here although its covering swapping the drive rather than the battery it will show you the way in to the device.

Five years is incredible for a rechargeable battery, most let go well before then - Mike

The guide I was thinking of can be found Here although its covering swapping the drive rather than the battery it will show you the way in to the device.

Five years is incredible for a rechargeable battery, most let go well before then - Mike

Thanks, Mike :) A job for a very wet Saturday afternoon!! I'm glad I asked -- it would be easy to have messed-up completely.

Since I am going to change the battery...

a) There are several UK websites offering batteries claimed to be suitable. Are there any preferred ones or ones to avoid?

b) What would be the benefit in swapping the HD for the card, given that for the time being the HD seems fine and it is only used in the car with plenty of power?

Thanks for your useful and accurate help -- Much appreciated. David.

Ask a Question