Carminat card query

Please see:-

http://imgur.com/kYkLx.jpg

I have a Carminat card (2 Gig) of Western Europe and a 4 Gig memory card that has been 'linked' to my account and loaded with Western Europe for back-up purposes. Both have been updated, have the same map, work and appear to be identical.

On the screenshot you'll see that the 4 Gig card has a larger sized map. Is it any more detailed? It does not appear to be when plugged into the car.

Will both cards work in any TomTom Carminat fitted car?

Thanks.

Well, if you had clicked 'more information' beside each map listing, that would have been useful to see what, if anything, appears to be different and what version of the map you have. If it's 850, you would only get a zone of Europe on the 2GB card not the full thing........

Excellent idea DHN

http://imgur.com/Pmsjo.jpg

I chose a longish across Europe route on each card.
The larger card's map has more colours. One card picked up a closed road whereas the other didn't.
The France only 2 gig card (not previously mentioned) has even more colour definition.
It seems the the general information is correct on all cards but the map definition varies.
For example, if the existing 1.88 Gig map of Europe has extra information (voices, cameras etc.) then the quality of the map decreases to keep within the 2 Gig card. When I inserted a 4 Gig card, TomTom Home "knew' its size and upped the map quality or so it appears.

----------------

Will both cards work in any TomTom Carminat car????

I hope so even though I did this:-

To initialise your new card for your Carminat, please follow the following steps.

- Go out to your car with the new memory card
- Insert the card into the memory card slot
- Start the car, then turn it off
- Get out of the car and make sure nothing is on the front seats
- Lock the car
- Unlock the car
- Take the card out and go back to your computer inside

Now that the card is initialised,
- Attach the old card to the computer. Copy all the contents of the card to the computer
- Take the card out and plug in the new card
- Paste all the contents that came from the old card to the new card

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! No need to play with the font size. We'll see your message just fine in the default font.

I'm not able to give you good advice but look for supermod Mikealder to respond to this thread within the next 24 hours. He is UK based and experienced with that model. We don't have it in North America.

I would have a look at the various files and their respective file size using Windows Explorer on each card to try and work out any differences, often the larger map will contain slightly better road definition through corners with more defined points leading to a smoother display, also the POI content might be larger (POI.dat) but just because its larger doesn't mean its any better in terms of overall accuracy.

I don't have this device as I drive an Ovlov (try it backwards), if the above doesn't offer advice on the question in hand please try re-posting what you are after as I got a little lost reading the thread - Mike

Last edited:

Ask a Question