card to card copy

If I purchased from TomTom on their own supplied sd card a map of Westen & Central Europe could I copy the contents on that card to a larger sd card?

If I purchased from TomTom on their own supplied sd card a map of Westen & Central Europe could I copy the contents on that card to a larger sd card?

You should be able to but what I would do first would be put the bigger card into my unit and then logon home to make sure it recognizes the card. Then copy the map over to the bigger card, keep in mind that maps are regesterded to one unit serial #. So if map on the card is read by your unit now then it should be fine.

What you might want to do is to do a backup with your amaller map card in the unit via home first then put the larger card in yoour unit and do a home restore.

I would normaly suggest to do an explorer backup and restore but in this case it might be better to do it with home.

I thought the map was locked to that official SDcard and couldn't be copied to another. On Garmin's, the SD map cards can be moved from device to device. It doesn't care which model it was purchased for, but can't be copied or transferred from that original card. Does TomTom handle it differently?

I thought the map was locked to that official SDcard and couldn't be copied to another. On Garmin's, the SD map cards can be moved from device to device. It doesn't care which model it was purchased for, but can't be copied or transferred from that original card. Does TomTom handle it differently?

That I don't know , you could be right I just thought it might work if you did a back up in home with the smaler card then did a restore with the larger card in the unit that it might work . I haven't tried this so don't know for sure just thought it might be worth a try.

My understanding is that maps downloaded via Tomtom HOME (or preinstalled on a Tomtom's internal memory) are locked to the serial number of the Tomtom.

Maps purchased on an SD card (or on the SD included in the box of older Tomtoms that didn't have internal memory) were normally locked to the serial number of the SD card.

So if you buy a map SD card from Tomtom, you can't copy it to a bigger card. If you purchase it from HOME, you can copy to a bigger card.

Ask a Question