Car symbol shifted 50 meters to west - map deviation?

I just travelled from Toronto, Canada to Muskoka area (200KM). A lot of time the car symbol would shift (offset) 50 meters west to my road when I drove into Bracebridge and Huntsville areas. It never happens to me in GTA. In downtown Bracebridge and Huntsville, it shifted to the next road which is parallel to the one I was driving on. So the route was changed automatically. It messed up everything. If I drove to east, the symbol would be 50 meters behind my actual location.

I called Tomtom support. They asked me to do the following two actions. I did first one. It did not work. I already came back Toronto right now.
Link: http://www.tomtom.com/9091 reinstall application in the device
Link: http://www.tomtom.com/6211 Download the TomTom Clear Flash tool

Has anybody experienced the same issue? Is this a map deviation problem? Can I trust any Tomtom new map? Please see my system information below.

App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.4106
Map: ?North_America_2GB? v710.1584

Thank you so much for your help.

Unfortunately, from time to time, many users suffer from 'map shift'. It does not happen too often and the usual culprit is a faulty file download for the gpsquickfix. Normally, the next time you dl a new gpsfix file, it gets resolved.

Sometimes, doing a pin reset help, too. This is not a problem with your map.

happened to me too. scary when you are traveling to the location for the first time. In our case the tomtom honestly believed we were in the wrong highway and it kept on giving us 'turn left' at every cross roads. Sort of trying to bring the car back to the highway (which we were already in).

The temporary solution is to zoom out the map. This way you will be relieved that you are still going in the right direction. At the end of the long stretch you may find the symbol starts to align itself with the road.

My experience happened in alberta.. on a stretch from Medicine Hat to Lethbridge. The car finally aligned itself to the road when we got near Taber.

I just travelled from Toronto, Canada to Muskoka area (200KM). A lot of time the car symbol would shift (offset) 50 meters west to my road when I drove into Bracebridge and Huntsville areas. It never happens to me in GTA. In downtown Bracebridge and Huntsville, it shifted to the next road which is parallel to the one I was driving on. So the route was changed automatically. It messed up everything. If I drove to east, the symbol would be 50 meters behind my actual location.

I called Tomtom support. They asked me to do the following two actions. I did first one. It did not work. I already came back Toronto right now.
Link: http://www.tomtom.com/9091 reinstall application in the device
Link: http://www.tomtom.com/6211 Download the TomTom Clear Flash tool

Has anybody experienced the same issue? Is this a map deviation problem? Can I trust any Tomtom new map? Please see my system information below.

App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.4106
Map: ?North_America_2GB? v710.1584

Thank you so much for your help.

I purchased my TomTom ONE 3rd in December 2007. It has a V710.1575 USA_Canada map.

I was in Ketchikan, Alaska in June.

My TomTom was off a block or two in regards to the streetmaps. At one location it would consistently show me close to 250yards offshore, placing my car in the miidle of the Tongass Narrows--the main waterway.

TomTom Tech said it was a calibration issue that they were working on.... apparently, STILL working on...

I really think that this is a big problem of Tomtom. I read the following link and found out more information https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=10651

As per dhn and Krazy Jeff, updating a recent quickgpsfix can resolve the problem. However when you are driving on a road, cell phone is the only tool to update quickgpsfix. In the above link, it seems that cell phone may also not work properly to update quickgpsfix. If I do not have Bluetooth cell phone or internet connection, how can I update the file when I travel outside and this is the time I really need the GPS.

Besides, the purpose of quickgpsfix file is to initially locate the satellites when we turn on the device. I don’t understand why it will affect the location calculation while I am driving.

All friends, do you think if we need to notify Tomtom management (not the customer services technician) to seriously deal with this problem?

Well, it's tough for the average user like us to even know how to contact TT management, letalone contact them. Calling TT Support is a more viable option.

I agree that it it is disconcerting to see your car icon blocks away from the actual position but it isn't a permanent situation.

Don't feel bad Alberta...it has happened many times to me both in Alberta (driving off the 2 going west from nanton to the 22X), and travelling the N. of Ontario too. I have been off the road by up 300 metres...wierd but not much that one can do I think. As noted previously, it is the gps fix that seems to be the culprit.

cheers,

stk

I used to see that deviation on my old 675 maps that came with my unit. the same deviation at the same places every time I drove there. definitely not a gpsfix problem in my case. an updated map cured the problem and haven't seen it since.

so if you're seeing this problem every time at the same location, it's the map.

No, I get one just about every day. I was not getting mapshares for about 3 days but got some last night.

My map is 8.10 for the 720.

Also, I have to keep remembering that I've put my map on a sdhc card (for space reasons) so need to point to that device before updating to get mapshares and then have Home point to internal (where my ephem folder resides) and update again for gpsfixes.

Could that be your issue, Sage?

Ask a Question