Car Preference icon= grayed out

TomTom Model(s)
tt720 and tt920
The title explains it all. In change preference, the car preference icon is grayed out. In the instructions, I should be able to select "link night view to headlights" and Instructions mute car radio" within the car preference icon. What needs to be done to enable the icon?

Thanks, Doug

I assume this is for some kind of pre-installed systems. Otherwise, how would the GPS know if your headlights or radio are on?

my assumption also, but no documentation. It may be the cord from the audio out to the audio input on the radio? I would not be able to test for the lack of the input on the radio.

My guess is that this feature is utilized by one of two options (I searched the support site with no luck).

Option A, Bluetooth connection between vehicle & TomTom, although mainly for high-end vehicles &/or high-end sound systems, this would use bluetooth to communicate with the TomTom to advise that the headlights are on and to switch the device to Night mode.

Option B, the more likely option, the hard-wire connection utilizes the sound system's dimmer switch. Most sound systems will dim when headlights are activated. This may send a signal to the TomTom that the headlights are on and dimmer is activated which in turn will send it into night mode.

I can only assume but I believe Option B to be the best viable option.

Alternatively, you can also utilize the light sensor to determine day & night mode. That's what I have done since I don't feel like hardwiring TomTom to my sound system. You choose at what light level (ie 15% ambiant light) to switch to night mode and at which light level (ie 85% ambiant light) to switch to day mode.

Cheers,
--Phil

" You choose at what light level (ie 15% ambiant light) to switch to night mode and at which light level (ie 85% ambiant light) to switch to day mode."

How do you change the sensitivity? I thought the slider for day and night is used to adjust the brightness level of the display during the day and night screen, at least that was it does on my 720. I do not like to use the automatic switching because sometimes when driving the parkway with having lots of shades, it keeps switching back and forth.

Tom

Last edited:

Ask a Question