Car Kit won't pair with iPhone

I'm having an issue with the tomtom car kit. I plug it in, turn on the car, then dock the phone in the kit. The kit charges my phone, the music will play out of the speakers, but when I go to pair the phone with the car kit, the iPhone can't find the car kit, which means I can't use the speakerphone or enhanced GPS. Anyone else experience this problem? I've tried resetting the bluetooth on the carkit, and turning the phone and bluetooth on and off, but nothing seems to work.

The bluetooth connection is only for the audio, the GPS data is supplied via the cradle connection to the base of the iPhone, have you got anything else in the car that the iPhone has been previously paired with? - Mike

To connect reliably, I found out I have to have BT turned ON on the iPhone BEFORE turning on car kit power and docking the iPhone . Otherwise, I have to disconnect and reconnect power to the car kit to get the BT connection established.

To answer the first question, no, it hasn't been paired with anything else in the car. I also went ahead and restored the iPhone, and still no go. I guess next stop is tomtom support?

Turn the ignition on to power up the car kit then reset the car kit, press and hold the volume button for 8 seconds then try pairing it again, the code is 5555 assuming you get that far - Mike

nope don't even get that far. followed your directions exactly, and the iPhone doesn't even see the car kit. i left it on for the entire 20 minute drive home, detected a bunch of fellow commuters' handsfree earpieces (and even someone's garmin nuvi), but no tomtom car kit.

nope don't even get that far. followed your directions exactly, and the iPhone doesn't even see the car kit. i left it on for the entire 20 minute drive home, detected a bunch of fellow commuters' handsfree earpieces (and even someone's garmin nuvi), but no tomtom car kit.

I'm actually doing some work with TomTom and might be able to help. Have you tried downloading the free TomTom car kit tool app from the Apple iTunes store? This will help you see the GPS signal strength on your iPhone when connected to the car kit and might help with your issue.

If you are still having issues you can contact TomTom customer support here or by calling 866-486-6866. Additionally, if you are on Twitter you can try contacting Club TomTom at Ashley, Kevin & Josh (ClubTomTom) on Twitter.

car kit pairing

I have a Parrot bluetooth system paired with my Iphone. Can I pair the tomtom iphone car kit with it so my phone calls and the turn by turn directions go through the Parrot? When I initially connected the car kit, I must have skipped the pairing, and so the turn by turn directions now play through the car kit speaker and when I get calls they go through the Parrot and subsequently the calls sometimes get screwed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can use the TomTom car kit for the GPS by simply docking the iPhone in to the holder, don't bother pairing the device as thats only for the audio, as you have a superiour sound system via Bluetooth in the car than that offered by the TT product just employ the car kit for the GPS signal and the physical retention of the iPhone (this is exactly what I do as I prefer the sound via my Bluetooth iO-Play kit which is similar to the Parrot range) - Mike

I am not using the tomtom car kit, just a screen mount and charger, however the problem is that I cannot get the turn by turn directions to play thru my bluetooth connection in the car, I can play the ipod but not the directions, anybody got any ideas??

What car kit are you using, also try running the iPOD for music prior to starting the TomTom application do you then get both the audio from the navigation and the music via the car kit - Mike

Just a generic suction mount onto the screen and an in car charger, the car is a Citroen and the iphone pairs with the bluetooth perfectly, I shall try starting itunes first tomorrow and report back, thanks

GPS connected via base connector?

The bluetooth connection is only for the audio, the GPS data is supplied via the cradle connection to the base of the iPhone, have you got anything else in the car that the iPhone has been previously paired with? - Mike

are you sure the GPS data is supplied via the base connector? it seems if no pairing, there is no improvment to GPS reception.

I'm having exactly the same problem with my TomTom Iphone Carkit.
The thing has been sent back to TomTom for repair and came back (excellent service by the way) but
I still have the same problem ....

I'm having an issue with the tomtom car kit. I plug it in, turn on the car, then dock the phone in the kit. The kit charges my phone, the music will play out of the speakers, but when I go to pair the phone with the car kit, the iPhone can't find the car kit, which means I can't use the speakerphone or enhanced GPS. Anyone else experience this problem? I've tried resetting the bluetooth on the carkit, and turning the phone and bluetooth on and off, but nothing seems to work.

I'm having exactly the same problem with my TomTom Iphone Carkit.
The thing has been sent back to TomTom for repair and came back (excellent service by the way) but
I still have the same problem ....

... same problem with me - iphone charges but says "not docked"! Big problem, no solution until now.

Let me know if you were able to solve this issue!

i have same problem, can't pair tomtom, can't find it in search..

and also gps doesn't work with only docking for me also..

i have same problem, can't pair tomtom, can't find it in search..

and also gps doesn't work with only docking for me also..

On the Iphone go to settings, bluetooth, and then delete the TomTom car kit. Make sure BT is on

Plug the car kit into you car power source, make sure you see the light on the cif=g adapter is on (this confirms power)

Tilt the phone forward and place it into car kit.

go to settings again, and pair the phone. remember you password for pairing

My TomTom car kit has been worken perfectly for a few month. But yesterday it wouldn?t connect to my or my wifes iphone. I reset the car kit and forgot the device on the phones but it wont show up as a device any more.

and in the Car Kit Tool:
Staus: Not Docked
GPS: No Fix

And when i use tom tom software it isnt as accurate as when bluetooth was working. Feels like its only iphones built in gps, Its not keeping up with me when i drive. Before it was working perfect.

anyone have any idea what could have happen?

Ask a Question