Car dock compatibility with car stereos

So I'm considering getting the iPhone dock/app for my car, but I wanted to first see if anyone has installed a dock and connected it to an iPhone compatible car stereo USB port. I particularly have a kenwood excelon 993, but I'm sure if it works with any USB radio then it would work for mine. Anyone tried it yet?

My Kenwood Excelon's USB port only reads thumb drives and ipods, using its own file system interface. Reading the 993 specs, it appears it works the same way.

The Tomtom audio output on the carkit (and all Tomtom docks) is via the aux (headphone) cable. The 993 has a rear aux input that you can connect it to.

Well the 993 is iPhone compatible and when the phone is not silenced, all clicks, rings, etc will interrupt the music playback, so I can only assume that nav instructions would do the same if the radio could initialize the phone just once. The problem I have had using other home docks is that the radio gets stuck on 'reading,' due to some incompatibility between the two. So I'd like to see if the tomtom dock has the same incompatibility as other docks...I'm not a fan of using audio outputs when a digital method is available. Thanks

The only connections on the car kit are for power (mini USB) and the audio line out which uses a 3,5MM stereo jack socket (1/8" for non European correctness) the mini USB socket cannot be used for digital music and you should be aware the audio is routed from the iPhone to the car kit using Bluetooth which loses the option to set different volume levels for iPOD music and Nav instructions which is why I prefer a cabled connection using the phones 3,5MM socket to the aux input on my car deck - Mike

Ask a Question