Car charger - auto shut-off

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 730
I'm a new owner of the 730. I used to have the TomTom navigator on my Palm 680, and when I had to switch over to the Blackberry (and give up the Palm Treo), I certainly missed the TomTom software.

I've enjoyed owning the 730 for the past week, but I am confused about the car charger. Initially, I plugged it in, and the little green charging light came on (on the 730) and I thought everything was fine. In a while, the green light went out, and at first I was concerned but noticed that the battery was now fully charged so that might explain why it stopped charging. The next day I plugged it back in to the car and the charging light came on again. No problem - except after a while the light goes out again when it's fully charged - and it won't come back on again. An hour and a half later, it's still plugged in but the charging light is not on and the battery is at less than half power. I stopped for gas and shut off the car - nope, it doesn't come back on when I re-start the car. I unplug the power and shut off the TomTom for a minute - nope, still no light. I get home, dock the TomTom - and it lights up.

And here's the weird part; today I plug the TomTom in the car - fully expecting it to not light up - but it does.

What could this be? Is there a re-setting fuse in the car adapter?

I'm a little concerned because I have to drive to Florida in 2 weeks, and I can't have this unit's battery dying on me.

Anyone have this experience?

Are you introducing yourself? you should post this message in support section.

I'm a new owner of the 730. I used to have the TomTom navigator on my Palm 680, and when I had to switch over to the Blackberry (and give up the Palm Treo), I certainly missed the TomTom software.

I've enjoyed owning the 730 for the past week, but I am confused about the car charger. Initially, I plugged it in, and the little green charging light came on (on the 730) and I thought everything was fine. In a while, the green light went out, and at first I was concerned but noticed that the battery was now fully charged so that might explain why it stopped charging. The next day I plugged it back in to the car and the charging light came on again. No problem - except after a while the light goes out again when it's fully charged - and it won't come back on again. An hour and a half later, it's still plugged in but the charging light is not on and the battery is at less than half power. I stopped for gas and shut off the car - nope, it doesn't come back on when I re-start the car. I unplug the power and shut off the TomTom for a minute - nope, still no light. I get home, dock the TomTom - and it lights up.

And here's the weird part; today I plug the TomTom in the car - fully expecting it to not light up - but it does.

What could this be? Is there a re-setting fuse in the car adapter?

I'm a little concerned because I have to drive to Florida in 2 weeks, and I can't have this unit's battery dying on me.

Anyone have this experience?

My chargeing green light stays on ALWAYS to indicate that it is charging and connected. Do you have any other cigarette lighter adapter to see if it is working. The only way it goes out is when my car is off.

It sounds as if the car charger is broken. The green light should NOT go out while the unit is attached to the charger. I would call support at 866-486-6866 and explain the situation and the fact you need a functioning unit AND charger in 10 days for a trip. Ask that they send you a replacement charger by courier.

Ask a Question