Can't update to HOME 2.7.6.2056; also can't edit streets on Map Correction.

TomTom Model(s)
350 XL
Hi, everyone... this is my first time on the forums, and sadly I'm here because I'm having issues with my TomTom. I deliver pizzas to support myself while I'm at school, and so I need my GPS to be accurate, reliable, and efficient. I'm having trouble lately where my TomTom HOME program wants to update to 2.7.6.2056 from 2.7.5.2014, but whenever I update it, the update doesn't work. I've even tried uninstalling it and reinstalling the program from the website. It's preventing me from USING my program because every time I use the program, I get the update pop-up, and even if I dismiss it, the program promptly closes. It's FRUSTRATING!

My other issue concerns the map corrections: I've come to terms with the fact that TomTom is useless for sending me to the right house or apartment number, but it usually gets me to the right street. However, I've had some issues where there are neighborhoods that aren't on the map, and when I try to add their streets in with the Map Correction feature, it keeps wanting the new streets to "snap" to an existing road. This is a pain since these neighborhoods are self-contained; they have an outlet or two to a major road and that's it... they're not supposed to "connect" one road to another road. The corrections submission system won't let me do that, not even when I start at one end of the road and drive down it to "tell" the GPS where the start and end of the new roads are.

I have similar issues with existing roads; the TomTom's map system thinks some roads are connected when they aren't in real life. However, there doesn't seem to be a means for me to "break" some of these fake intersections. It just doesn't work.

In short, for any correction more advanced than a street name or speed limit change, the corrections system doesn't seem to help me any. I don't know if my TomTom HOME program is submitting my corrections to TomTom's map-corrections HQ, either, because the program's having this update issue.

Any advice? Is there a utility online somewhere that I can "draw" in the roads and neighborhoods I need? Is there an address I can mail a map to?

Edit: My TomTom system is an XL 350 TM, I need help with the Raleigh-Cary, NC area, and my computer system is Vista.

Last edited:
Let's start with the Home issue.

Download a copy directly from TomTom here: TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems

You'll want the lefthand download -- the righthand one is for the Mac.

Once you have that file downloaded and installed, let us know how things are doing, and then we'll talk more about the correction issues.

I've already tried that; twice... it still gives me the update window issue. Even though it says it's "TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe" it still installs as the 2.7.5.2014 version and then wants me to update to 2.7.6.2056.

I've already tried that; twice... it still gives me the update window issue. Even though it says it's "TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe" it still installs as the 2.7.5.2014 version and then wants me to update to 2.7.6.2056.
Sounds like we have an install issue, too. Slide your mouse over the TomTomHome2winlatest.exe file. See what version it claims to be (or right click, look at Properties, and Version). The one I downloaded from TomTom was 2.7.6.2056. Let's see if yours is. If so, you'll need to do more than a simple uninstall of the software since there are evidently registry issues remaining. dhn here recommends Revo for that.

Hmmm, you're right; the .exe from the webpage is 2.7.6.2056... Can you please explain what Revo is, and/or which registry keys I might need to go remove? Thank you very deeply for your assistance. :D

Missing roads are the toughest nut to crack in reporting. It is difficult to manage on the face of the unit. I much prefer to go straight to the source for additions -- Map Insight. The online tool is a lot easier to use. How long it will take to get a missing road added is anyone's guess. Add another 3 months from the time TeleAtlas gets it done until it is incorporated into a map distribution.

As for streets that don't connect -- I've tried to make judicious use of the "Block" feature, blocking the road from the necessary direction. It's not a very delicate tool, so can't be used without some thought. It takes segments of streets and makes them inaccessible from one direction or the other (or both). However, it can be just as effective to manage the problem through "Turn restrictions". You can arrange things such that there are no options to go through the blockage by disabling any turns that would so so. It drives me nuts here in Colorado -- perfectly good intersections through subdivisions are suddenly blocked to mess with traffic flow or create "neighborhoods" or whatever they're playing at. Try "Turn restrictions". And while you're about it, you can disconnect roads at TeleAtlas, too.

Added streets aren't used immediately in your TomTom's routing. No GPS allows for that.

Blocked roads and turn restrictions will be considered by your TomTom at the time, and your unit won't ever try to take you somewhere again that you've disabled that way. Those are worth managing directly on your TomTom (or in Home - it's sometimes a lot easier to select things with your mouse).

Ask a Question