Can't turn volume down using mp3 player

TomTom Model(s)
GO720
Hi,

I am having problems turning the volume down when using the line out and headphones. Does anyone know how to regulate the volume when using the line out function?

Line out to the radio? Use the volume on the radio.
A lot of folks are finding that the line out level from the TomTom at its current firmware level is too high and is overdriving their aux-in port or FM modulator, causing clipping/distortion. Since that level cannot be adjusted on the TomTom, turning down the radio volume just reduces the volume of the clipped and distorted sound. The current firmware causes this same "no adjust" problem for directional information on the line-out output.

I actually added a small home brew T-Pad in-line between the TomTom and my modulator to attenuate the signal a bit, but this should NOT be necessary. The line level out is simply too "hot" for many devices to handle cleanly. It should instead be adjustable from the TomTom end, and if not, reduced a couple of dB.

Last edited:
Is there any official word on this? I use my tomtom with my ipod... now it's completely useless.

I tried the FM trick, but quality is still bad. I guess I could move back a firmware... but I am curious if this has been addressed yet.

Last edited:
Did you try app 8.350? It is supposed to lower the fixed line out volume to the point where it doesn't distort in most devices.

In my case, however, I use a Kenwood Excelon MP3/Ipod player. They're a music company, and have much better MP3 decoder/enhancer technology than Tomtoms do.

Did you try app 8.350? It is supposed to lower the fixed line out volume to the point where it doesn't distort in most devices.
I'm holding off on 8.350 until I have some assurance that TripMaster will work. You wouldn't believe the number of aborted attempts I've had with TripMaster while TT keeps screwing with things and breaking it. I'd still prefer that they return to the adjustable output.

Related somewhat. . .

If iPod compatibility is important to you, the new 740 is not currently capable of supporting it. While it does have the "control iPod" feature, the 740 has no line out or FM broadcast, and will require the purchase of an optional dock when/if it becomes available to work for the NA market.

Ask a Question