Can't turn 730 off

I had an interesting problem today. I would press the power button and the TT would go through the shutdown, but about 5 seconds later it would turn back on and display my startup image. The only way i could shut it off was to hit the reset button.

I've also noticed that sometimes when I turn it off, I will put it in it's case and it will randomly turn on after about 30 seconds.

Anyone else ever experience these symptoms?

Yeah, we're hearing more and more about the same issue with the latest application release. Do you clear the route after every journey? May help.

I'll give clearing a try. It seems to me that after you arrive at your destination that the route should clear itself. I have my home POI set to an intersection about 1/2 mile away from my house and even after I "arrive at my destination" it will still try to route me back to my home POI.

It doesn't clear automatically because where it locates the destination (using lat/long data) may NOT be precisely plotted on the map. So you get to your real destination before the unit 'thinks so'. As a result, it still thinks you are on route.

I haven't heard of a 730 doing that lately, it seems to be an issue that impacts the 920/930 mostly. dhn is on more forums than me, so I wouldn't rule out that it's being heavily reported on another forum.

Personally, I've had no problems with my 720. It reboots once a month or so, and I blame that on the unreliable bluetooth on my razr2 phone. It hasn't turned itself on in a long time.

You could have a corrupt file. These steps do a good job cleaning up corruption.

I haven't seen a lot of reports of that issue with the 730, but DHN is correct. It has been popping up with the latest application, reported more in the Brit forum than anywhere else.

Well, after a couple of days it did it again tonight. Would not turn off and required a reset. I tried the HARD reset mentioned this time. We'll see what happens.

I did clear the router and it still kept turning on automatically.

i wonder if it's crashing before the shutdown is complete and rebooting. This could appear as turning off and back on.

I'm noticing issues on my 720 also now - it's crashing and self-rebooting once every other day.

When I get some free time, I'll do a fresh reinstall and post back if it helps any.

it's crashing and self-rebooting once every other day.
At least it is being consistent so that should make it easier to troubleshoot.

Before you do a fresh reinstall can you try turning the TomTom off using the Exit application button.

A x20/x30 will not have this button in it's navcore menu by default.

Create a TomTom.mnu file in the SDKRegistry folder
Try adding the text bellow to the TomTom.mnu.
It will just add the one button to see if it works.

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|"Exit Application"|
MENUITEM|TASK_EXIT_APP|

To go back to your default menu after testing this then DELETE the TomTom.mnu file

If you want to recreate as much of the default menu look at my TomTom.mnu Menu Structure Table thread.

Also you may want to use TASK_DELETE_ROUTE instead of TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE if you are like me and had to confirm that you want to "Clear Route"

You may end up actually liking this TASK_EXIT_APP button as I feel that it saves on putting wear and tear on the real power button.

My issue isn't exactly the same - it doesn't turn on spontaneously when off.

It just spontaneously reboots while driving (3 times in the past week). Normally I go a month before something like that happens. I think it happens right before TTS gets spoken. The only thing TTS thing I think I did was the "branch -> bridge" fix. But again, most of the time TTS works fine.

I think it could be unrelated, I just wanted to make sure I corrected my prior post where I said "I'm having no problems".

Could have NOTHING to do with it..........

But you are running with the larger poi set on the unit. As I understand it, for those pois you have selected to show on the map, the app has to load all the pois in a given category and determine which are close to you in order to display on the map.

So, maybe, just maybe...your unit is rebooting when the available ram on the unit is running terribly low cuz it's tied up with the demand for pois to display...............causing a reboot.

Ask a Question